Is your flashaholism waning?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I become aware of LED flashlights four or five years ago, I was immediately enthralled. And I still am. I use LED lights exclusively now. I own many but many of you own many more. Truth be told though the only ones I use on a regular basis are my Arc AAA, my Eternalight, my Chop modified E2/KL1, my VIP and once in awhile my SNII. I have other's some not too shabby that just sit around unused. Now I read Charlie is about to top himself yet again with the LionHeart and frankly I'm just not interested because I have all the lights I need. I no longer feel a desire to own such a thing just for the sake of what it is. I dare say I will not buy a single flashlight for myself for the rest of the year. My hope is that higher power Luxeon's will continue to get cheaper so that I can expose other's to the wonderful world of better lighting but not for myself.

Anybody feel the same way or is it blashphemy to suggest such a thing and I'm going straight to the purgatory!

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blasphemy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif
But seriously, I have all the flashlights that I *need* for the moment, and while I have slowed down in my purchasing of new lights, I find many custom lights (like the Lionheart) irresistable, so I will buy them too. But I am not getting all excited about the new mainstream LED lights that are popping up everywhere because the custom lights are just so much better.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
part yes, part no.

I have far too many, of course.
I still buy more, but not as excessively as before.
the U2 will be my only produciotn light this year.
Custom lights are a different matter though ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Eventually though, I think the madness will pass as it always does.
The hard thing will be to abandon CPF because it is such a great place ...

We have lost lots of old veteran due to this ...

bernhard

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I said to myself, no more productions, only customs. That said, I made an allowance for the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. Doh!

On the custom side, I'm thrilled with the VIP, very pleased with the TnC N cell, vaguely satisfied with the FFv2 and eagerly await my Blackbird run 1.

After that, I told myself (and my wife) that I'm done for the year. (She was hopeful, but unconvinced.)

Then Charlie starts this whole Lionheart thing...

OK, maybe just *one* more.

Isn't that what all the addicts say?!?!? LOL!

daloosh

ooh, cool, post 700!

nightshade

Enlightened
You are not alone. If anything, CPF has saved me money, the reviews of new flashlights are usually dead on.If a new light arrives on the market I will wait until 5 or 6 members have reviewed it. Very little credit is given to CPF as a "Consumers Report" for all things producing light!
There are several occasions where I would recommend both, such as a ARC LSH and a Longbow Micra,to not have both is missing something from each one. I'm also waiting to see what the next few years bring, from favorite manufacturers such as Arc and Longbow and TNC and DSPECK and others. Also from power sources as well. I won't buy a light that doesn't have a practical purpose. This practical approach does not keep me from returning here, it's a fun site. It's a educational site as well. I'm still a practical flashoholic. Thanks to all of you who make this a fun place.

avusblue

Enlightened
Great topic. I do really enjoy USING flashlights but do less of COLLECTING them. I posted something like this sentiment last summer and called it "flashlight contentment" at the time.

I do feel the sort of the same way as geepondy, primarily because after cycling through a lot of buying and selling flashlights, I have sort of settled in on the "keepers" that I really like using the best (centered primarily around SureFire L4's, Arc LSH, Opalec NewBeam, and Arc / Dorcy AAA's).

I also have gained appreciation for inexpensive LED lights that have gotten a lot better lately, and offer a lot of utility and not a lot of investment or worry about beating them up (Dorcy AAA case in point).

I still enjoy trying the "new and exciting" lights like the VIP, and I am certainly looking forward to the LionHeart, but I wound up selling my VIP within a few weeks of getting it because while I enjoyed it, I also knew I wouldn't USE it much. I sold my McLux TK in the past couple months for the same reason, along with numerous other "high end" lights. Which raised the proceeds for me to buy some terrific new binoculars I'd been wanting for a long time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers,

Dave

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's kind of natural for many kinds of "toys". Eventually a saturation point will come where I've gotten most of whatever tickled me about it in the first place.

So, next to the safe full of guns, bucket full of pocketknives, will eventually be my case of preferred lights (but it's always more than a lifetime's supply, maybe a few generation's worth).

I'm not there yet as I think there are some interesting new technology lights still to hit the market (Gerber T3) but eventually...

Part of getting older or running low on money or both. However, this IS a fun group of people to listen in on...

cy

Flashaholic
Nope it's only getting worst. I use to only purchase lights as tools and would use them as such. I use to EDC my X3T-PR,scratches and all.

Did the same to my mint NIB 2003 cpf Arc AAA, boy do I regret doing that. carried Arc 4+ around. Since the two stage switch made firefly functional equal to 4+. that been my EDC.

Getting to my point, which is I now own three fireflys and 6 sammies. Two mint condition and one that I carry. The beat up firefly is what I favor and EDC. The other two are safe queens. Something that I thought would not happen.

It's getting worst. Just got a VIP and are on the Lion heart list. finally got a TNC N cell. Almost got every version of Arc AAA's ever made.

I'm surrounded by flashlights and parts to mod. I'm setting up my lathe & mill tooling.... arrrggg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif cy

That is a hard question to ponder, "Am I content"? On the keychain is an Arc AAA-P, my bicycle's lighting system is an R2H minimag/2D Mag R2H with another BB500 R2H minimag on my belt. The little tool kit I carry around at work has a MicroIlluminator in it with a Mini-LGI strapped to my magnifying glasses.
Two Arc AA's on lanyards are nestled in a storage container along with an Arc AAA red LED and Peak 5 red LED AA beside it. The "sandbox" lights are ready to go.
At work, another shipment of Streamlight Jr. Luxeons came in and they threw me one. arrrggg! It will become my EDC so the BB500 R2H minimag can get some rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Even my long run time camping light slot has been filled with an Elektrolumens Anglehead 2D light. My boys use it coupled with Dorcy AAA lights.
Then it hits me, there is a WX1S Luxeon V laying around (thanks cy!) and my frame mounted 2D Mag w/R2H could use a wider beam. It would be nice to have adjustable output (nFlex board) Hmmmmm, need to start building my latest bicycle frame light so I will be content.
Dug around my parts box and found a QX1J high dome which is better than the PX1J low dome in the Jr. Luxeon. I might have to change the LED and put one of those reflectors in it.
As I run out of flashlight needs, I think how nice an Arc AAA luxeon would be...maybe a two position brightness switch thrown in.
A 5 watt mod project, minor mod to a Jr. and wishing for a luxeon AAA keychain light and I am done. What to do? What to do?
Start buying more Arc AAA's and handing them out at birthdays and Christmas! My brothers could use the SL Jr. Luxeon for the winter.
The thing that will keep me occupied is mods. My big Mag mods will always be thirsty waiting for the next better bin code. The CPF is the only place to keep track of the latest advancements so I will be hanging out here for a long time.
Any rumors about a 20,000 hour YYAQ Luxeon V?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Being a flashlight reviewer (cough, sputter, sound of a toliet flushing), I have at least 400 flashlights. And yet I'm just about as excited at getting a new flashlight these days as I was when I received my first evaluation flashlights in the spring of 2000. Whether I purchase them myself, or they're supplied by a manufacturer or retailer makes no difference to me.

To be honest, my flashaholicism has waned slightly, but not all that much. That's why I said "just about" in the paragraph above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just now used my new Streamlight Jr. Luxeon to change the plugs on my electric wheelchair (it has two charging systems). I reached for it even though a SureFire L2 was very slightly closer.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am as excited about lights as much as ever. But I am not only interested it top notch lights and lesser lights do not interest me as much anymore. I am also thinking I have way too much overlap in my collection and some areas not filled at all.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is waning. I have collected over the years well over $1500 worth of flashlights, probibly closer to around $2k.

I have decided that I really only need a tiny single 123 cell EDC (Fire~Fly - especially now that it has the two stage switch!), a two 123 cell Luxeon(SF-L4), a three 123 cell Incandescent (SF-M3).

Those will cover 99% of my needs. I have several others and keep lots of alkaline based lights around for battery availablity, but I really strongly prefer Lithium 123 based lights. Just tonight I checked my Princeton Tech Attitude and found the alkalines in the very early stages of leaking. White needle-like crystals inside the tube, but the triple A's dropped out with a good twack. I hate have good flashlights screwed by leaking alkalines.

GregR

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, it's settling down a bit...

it was extremely gripping when i first started finding these lights that made life so much easier... but now i feel i've got everything i need, and i'd probly have to get one as a gift or find something nice and affordable that i feel i could use...

Arc LS - the light that's always in the pocket
Arc AAA - the other light that's always in the pocket
Inova X5T HA - the light that's always in the pocket when i'm gonna be doing some risky work or camping
Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED - my perfect hiking light
PT40 - the light that always stays in the car
Elektrolumens FT3C - my walking light (when not walking thru the woods that is)
Elektrolumens Blaster 3 - the go-to light in my house for most tasks
Streamlight 3AA Tasklight Luxeon - with the lens/reflector/head of the flashlight removed, it is the perfect night use light when you don't want to disturb anyone else

now, i honestly can't afford to collect lights for my enjoyment... every light i own i have an intended use for, and i use them almost daily...

if i had alot of extra money sitting around i'd probly pick up a couple new lights tho...

Topper

Flashaholic*
No it has not yet, however my wallet is on the down side
need to be more selected? or less picky? Just buy both?
No easy answers here.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
This is an interesting thread. I'm somewhat of a techno-geek so when I see useable new technology I sometimes get fixated on it. Just a few short months ago I bought my first LED light. An Arc AAA. I read about it in a newspaper arcticle about personal safety. I was fascinated by the boost converter it must have to run that 3.5V led off of one 1.5 battery.
Then I discovered the Dorcy AAA. Effectively the same type of light but about 1/6th the price.
Opalec newbeam wuhooo, fully regulated long battery life.
Elektrolumens Luma-Lux. Lotta light, smaller than a mag 3d
Terra Lux mini-star II. Luxeon, regulated focusable.(works a LOT better with a hi dome instead of their SE)
LektroLumens FT-3C. My first 3W direct drive. Makes a boatload of light for it's size.
MadMax Lite 1w/hd makes a lot of light, good battery life.
BB650 3W/hd Makes a surprising amount of light. Good thing I have nimhs for it.
ElektroLumens:
XM-2
Tri Star 4D
BL3P
HB-1 3W
Bl JR 3W

I can't see where I need anymore lights. (except for a hotlips Mag3d 3W HD I keep reading about the needle beam it makes, I might need one of those)

Yes, I believe my flashaholism is waning. Anybody want to buy my XM2?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still very much interested. I choose to keep a smaller number of lights, say a dozen or so all told (not counting the odd turboflare, glo-toob or trinket lights for giveaways). When new lights come out, I review them to see if they are better than what I already have in a particular category, EDC for example. If it is, I optimize my collection by adding the new light and probably selling my old one.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no longer as many lights that I absolutely need. I find myself bypassing the purchase of, otherwise, good lights because I already have something close. Inexpensive, unique, lights still retain their attraction because I might decide to keep them and give away my more ordinary lights in an attempt to hook (spread the joy to) others.

L3

Newly Enlightened
geepondy,

You have raised an interesting and thought provoking question. It is, I believe, on of those 'different strokes' kind of topics. Some folks, as you know, retain high enthusiasm for many years and in relatively few activities.

I view many hobby topics as if they were 'courses of study'. Take the course, learn all I can in a reasonable amount of time, and move on to the next course. This way, one acquires a diverse education. This is not to say that the subjects are abandoned after course work is completed. Periodic refresher studies provide necessary information updates.

The outcome may eventually produce a Master Of The Trade or a Jack Of All Trades, but master of none. Either way is OK and will suit the individual's own requirements and personality.

Regardless of your mode, continued interest in new advances is to be expected. And, acquisition of new lights now and then is probably a must. But total time devoted to the topic will, for some, fall off.

Good topic!

L3

*Retired*
Not too much. My information gathering phase is slowing way down.

I just consider it a part of my electronics hobby, that has been with me since before I built my first radio when I was either five or six, I forget which now.