Does E2 have a lockout tail switch?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the E2 have a lock out tail switch? I can't find any info about this on there website. Matter of fact the Sure fire website isn't very informative. I think I stumbled across a comparison table last week but can't seem to find it now. If anybody knows some links for good info let me know.

Also can someone compare the beam pattern to a UKE 2L?

If I buy from Bright guy or Arizona Gun runners does it come with batteries?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The comparison chart is one of my "peeves" with the SureFire site. The old site contained an outdated comparison chart that was supposedly being updated (back in about March of this year), but to date, I haven't seen anything new. I couldn't locate a comparison chart (old or new) on the new site either, and attempts to elicit information from SureFire have been to no avail.

If my understanding is correct, the new site is still a "work in progress," so my guess(hope) is that an updated comparison chart will be added at a later date (soon, SureFire???).

Bright Guy provides the E2 with batteries. Not sure about the lock-out tailcap feature (simply unscrewing the tailcap a turn or two), and have not compared the beam against the 2L, although I have both lights. The E2 beam is probably much superior, which should be expected given the difference in price.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Unless there has been a change that I'm unaware of there is no lockout on the E2. I don't think I have ever seen the light without the batteries as an option when we have ordered them so I would say yes it should come with batteries from either.

Bucky

Enlightened
The E2 will come with batteries from both AGR and Brightguy.

The current E2 DOES NOT have a lockout tailcap.

I sure hope they bring back that comparison chart as well, it was extremely helpful; it would even more useful if it was updated to include the new lights.

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
PK is working on an E series LockOut TailCap, as well as one for the Nitrolon G2:

I hope that these will be released soon!

Al
grin.gif

Doug

Enlightened
Ok.. I am confused... how does the lock out function work? How does it lock out??

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
PK is working on an E series LockOut TailCap, as well as one for the Nitrolon G2:

I hope that these will be released soon!

Al
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire LockOut TailCap is a sealed waterproof single unit that allows a SureFire light to be disabled by backing-off the TailCap.

Unlike other [what I term "Classic"] SureFire TailCaps, in the LOTC, the 'bit-of-metal'* that makes contact with the body and negative end of the battery [via the spring] is 'fixed' within the TailCap and allowed only limited travel when the push button is...erm... pushed in.

* This is the E Series version of the part I'm trying to describe:
I can't link to a thumbnail because the file names of these images are too long!

Therefore, when the TailCap is in the Locked-out position; backed off by unscrewing the TailCap half a rotation from where the two markers line up and momentary operation is enabled, the contact can not be made.

Does this make any sense?

Al
grin.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
You can back off the tail cap until the batteries will not be engaged with a push. You still need about another 360 degress to make the tail end fall off. On the other hand, it sure seems unlikely that the E2 will accidentally come on. Anyone have trouble with E2 accidentally activating? I haven't (so far).

Byron

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Size15s,

How do we know that your pics are of the LOTC? Inside word from pk or are you believing that these are LOTCs because they are longer than the regular cap? I am a believer and I believe that I'll take 2 of each when available.

On a side note, I was watching PBS this weekend when I saw a female penguin named Sister Wendy offering art interpretations and other art appreciation tidbits. The accent was so, well, uh, British. She was scary and yet at the same time sweet and delightfully intriguing. It must have been the overbite. Is she a phenom in your 'hood?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Unless PK is playing tricks, they are LOTC for those lights - I believe he put them online to show us that SureFire listen to the 'demands' of the users, and that he's got them in the works...

I hope the Nitrolon version comes in yellow too!

I have a slight rememberence of the TV character you mention, but it was some years ago. I believe that sort of thing isn't my bag baby. As A.D. Powers might say.

Al
grin.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
Too bad PK can't just skip right to a LOTC that has a clickable switch and make everyone happy instead of releasing two caps - first the LOTC and then HOPEFULLY the clickable tailcap (which may or may not be LOTC).

Anyone have any info. on whether a clicable and LOTC is planned for the Executive series.

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "MU" Clicky TailCap does have LockOut function.

I do not know of any other Clickies, but I assume they will have.

I do not know if a clicky is what I want or need for my SureFires, but what PK and Ken say about the one SureFire are making gives me hope.

Al

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not everyone wants a clickable tailcap. For a LEO or military person in a dangerous situation, dropping a flashlight that is on could light you up for the criminal/enemy. If it turns off when dropped then there is no problem. Also a clickable tailcap can be accidentally turned on under stress, when you just meant to flash it momentarily. Every light should have either the lockout, or a clickable tailcap as standard.

Bucky

Enlightened
Is the planned clickable tailcap that you speak of Windler one for the Executive series by chance?

I sure hope so.
smile.gif

I realize that not everyone wants a LOTC, but we already have a tailcap that serves LEOs on the current Executive series by not being clickable and therefore never turning permanenetly on at the wrong moment. To me though, my E2 lockouts well enough if you turn it a few turns toward "off." It would be quite hard to accidentally turn on an E2 when it is turned 2-3 times towards off.

I am not as much interested in the LOTC part of the clicable switch as I am in the clickable part - but if you're going to make it clickable, may as well add the lockout part too.
smile.gif

Bucky

Bucky

Enlightened
Also, not being a LEO, I never understood why the lockout tailcap would actually be better. I always thought that it would be worse to be caught in a situation where the light was locked-out and could not be absolutely immediately activated, then to have the light accidentally stay on or turn on when it was not needed. Maybe I am missing something, can someone shed some light
wink.gif
on this.

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
The only Clicky I know of is in the "MU" WeaponLight style with 'easy-grip' styling. So on a flashlight like the M2 or the M2KT (as shown) it'll look something like this in terms of style:

I would be very surprised if SureFire do not have clicky versions in the works for the 'standard', Nitrolon and E Series as well as other models such as the 9AN and perhaps even the M6.

I use the LockOut feature all the time for storage, transportation and daytime carry. I rotate the TailCap to momentary (line up the markers) when I'm likely or about to use it.

I guess you could argue that if you're a LEO, you may not always know when you're likely or about to use it, but I see it as no different to preparing your holster so you can draw your gun, or taking the safety off etc (I've no experience so this is just my assumption)
I have used the LOTC so much that I can operate it with one hand, in my pocket, with my eyes shut. It is second nature, and I am still talking about using SureFire's LockOut TailCaps
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Depending on how Locked out you want it, it can require just under 1/2 a rotation...

Al

Spidey82

Enlightened
just turn the bezel of the E series anti-clockwise by a bit and u can activated it on matter how u twise or press the tail cap.
but one thing is that u might get the light to be on when needed
just a question,
who prefer a lower output E2 bulb
and who prefer a higher output E2 bulb
if u prefer both,
which would u want first??
Linfeng

bucken

Enlightened
Like SPIDEY82 says... I don't know if all E2's are created equal but, on mine, if you loosen the bezel just a little bit, it becomes effectively "locked out". Everything works fine again as soon as the bezel is snugged up.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bucky:
Also, not being a LEO, I never understood why the lockout tailcap would actually be better.
Bucky
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would definately NOT be a good idea to have your light locked out while on duty, but during transport, or storage when it's stuffed into your gearbag. It wouldn't be good to suddenly notice a burning smell coming from you stuff. Just make sure you chgeck your equipment before begining your shift/tour of duty. But all you military/LEO persons do this anyway right?
wink.gif