Is there a secret feature of the XRay Elite?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my 2 Elites today. Veeeery nice. In terms of product evolution, it's remarkable how much more refined it is now, even when compared to my Ergo.

Everyone knows about the nightbeacon of the Xrays and Elites, but have you tried pressing the 'mode' button when the beacon is constant-on? It will about double the intensity of the blue LED! And when the beacon is off, that blue LED will light up too if you press the mode button - kinda like a momentary mode for the blue LED.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this out and if this is a standard, or soon-to-be standard feature of the XRays/Elites.

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
This is because of the way the blue LED is connected: pressing the MODE button connects its cathode to ground.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh. well, time to clean up the confetti from my little parade.

but was it deliberate? anyways, still like it though...
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I don't think it was "deliberate," but more of just "it is what it is because of the way the circuit is designed" thing...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackStraw:
Mr. "VeloWanderer" - can this grounding result in any adverse effects to the light?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good question. even if the function is incidental, I sure hope it isn't detrimental...

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
A simple answer: it was a side effect of the design that we knew about. There is no adverse effect of this, it is still current limited. We thought it was useful too so we didn't try to design it away. Just never published it.

Thanks guys!