McFlood for PR/T?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first McLux head was a 5W but I have a several 3W which has a smaller but brighter spot. The tighter spot has more throw but it isn't real good for close up work. Looking for a way to enlarge the center spot.

I did some searching and found posts from way back about the McFlood reflectors. They must have been available in different sizes at one time. The Shoppe has one which states that it is a replacement for the NX05 optics which I think is 30mm! Isn't this a tad big to fit inside a PR head? What about the height too?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill,

The McFlood is 17 mm; too small. I have bead blasted some PR reflectors for a great flood but no throw at all. I have been meaning to experiment with putting a silicone plug in a reflector and blasting the forward secion while keeping the area close to the LED still reflective. Just no time lately! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A beam shaper does a very nice job of opening up the the beam angle on the PR if you are willing to add it to the head. That way you can always go back to the tight beam if needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

EDIT: in a pinch, unscrew the bezel and drop the reflector out for a great "candle in a can".

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Bill,

The McFlood is 17 mm; too small. I have bead blasted some PR reflectors for a great flood but no throw at all. I have been meaning to experiment with putting a silicone plug in a reflector and blasting the forward secion while keeping the area close to the LED still reflective. Just no time lately! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A beam shaper does a very nice job of opening up the the beam angle on the PR if you are willing to add it to the head. That way you can always go back to the tight beam if needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

EDIT: in a pinch, unscrew the bezel and drop the reflector out for a great "candle in a can".

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

I was looking for a permanent fix, like a reflector. I have two IMS SO27XA's, in fact one has a flaw in it! They are plastic and coated some way. Anything come to mind that I can try on them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill,
No time now to get into it but Doug S. did a test and found certain white paints were ideal for a flood reflection. On the 27, you would need to chop the front end down to shorten the length a bit to fit. You could then try painting a white ring on the outer section of the reflector. You could also try some white zebra stripes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Bill,
No time now to get into it but Doug S. did a test and found certain white paints were ideal for a flood reflection. On the 27, you would need to chop the front end down to shorten the length a bit to fit. You could then try painting a white ring on the outer section of the reflector. You could also try some white zebra stripes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

Got ya! I did find the thread on the painting, I'll have to reread it. I'll have to sleep on it as they say! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had but never used a UCL-LDF lens from http://www.flashlightlens.com/products.htm for a Arc4+, so although it's too samll for a PR/T head, it softened the center spot from a Lux-III.

I checked the size of the PR/T lens which was very close to but a bit larger than the 29.1mm that they stock. I received it today.

I'd say that it doubled the center spot diameter but dropped the lux from 2260 to 700. If your not worried above throw and want a bigger spot for closer work this works great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They come in thick/thin size and thin is a bit thicker than the original so there is a bit of a gap where the lens cap screws down on the head.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using this UCL/LDF lens since installing it and I like it so much, so I thought that I better bump this up so nobody misses it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Going to order two more too!