Has anybody compared the Photon Fusion with the new EliteXRay

arab

Enlightened
Has anybody compared the Photon Fusion with Techass's new Model 4 Elite XRay.

The lights have a different form factor but similar $80 prices and gadget appeal.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I haven't really tried the Fusion, but after having my Elite for a week, I can definitely say that I like it! It has a very solid construction, and the narrow angle S-rank white nichias appeal to me more than the wide angled nichias used in the Fusion...ok, the Fusion does have two (???) narrower-angle.
I like the fact that the Fusion is regulated, but using nimh in my Elite X-ray will give a pretty steady output (but not as bright as lithiums)--of course the lithiums will give a good discharge curve.

Now if they made a Fusion with 6 S-rank led's in the Elite form factor....
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elite is really well-built, something I'd be happy to have in my pocket, slung around my neck, or stuck on my fridge (it's got a magnet, remember?).

Plus, its got the proven water-tightness and toughness. Geez, I think Techass is the only manufacturer who's actually run a *pickup* truck over their product and taken that same sample for a 100-foot water resitance test, *after* that crushing assessment! For warm-ups, they tossed the thing 60-feet into the air and let it drop on concrete sidewalk - a couple of times!

I mean, the Elite is small, light, floats, whizbang neat, strong, bright, visibile in the dark (cos of its nightbeacon), has good battery life, waterproof, stands on its end, slings round your neck, sticks to metal and dead-easy to operate.

You could say I'm in love with my Elite

Just 2cents worth from another happy Elite owner.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:

I mean, the Elite is small, light, floats, whizbang neat, strong, bright, visibile in the dark (cos of its nightbeacon), has good battery life, waterproof, stands on its end, slings round your neck, sticks to metal and dead-easy to operate.

You could say I'm in love with my Elite

Just 2cents worth from another happy Elite owner.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree totally. The Elite Xray may not be the brightest, or smallest, or longest running, or baddest LED light on the market, but when it comes to useability and utility, it's hard, perhaps impossible, to beat the Elite Xray. As I've accumulated more LED flashlights, I've noticed that the Eternalights are the ones I tend to actually *use*, while the others are neat to play with. (18 turquoise LED's put out a *lot* of light, but carrying around a 6AA Energizer DB just isn't too practical...
grin.gif
)

Forge

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fusion and love the fact that it configures so many different ways.

Being able to have it strapped to my forehead has helped me out a bunch of times when I just couldn't spare an arm to hold a light.

I don't see a way to do that with this light. That would be a big minus in my book.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forge:
I have a Fusion and love the fact that it configures so many different ways.

Being able to have it strapped to my forehead has helped me out a bunch of times when I just couldn't spare an arm to hold a light.

I don't see a way to do that with this light. That would be a big minus in my book.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true, I guess. But hopefully, only for the time being. I remember reading in these posts somewhere that the magnet base area of the Elites will form the basis of future alternative wearing/mounting options (or something to that effect). Knowing Techass, it's only a matter of time before the 'options' become available, cos IMHO there's really not much more they can do to improve the light itself significantly. Of course, none of us would mind more mcds + battery life + lightness in *any* torch
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I want to mod my Eternalight. I'm not sure if I want to change my Elite just yet, so I'm going to try on my Ergo Marine:
Add three leds.
Try to add connections so I can use 4AA nimh instead of 3 AA's.

??? think it might work?
the use of 4AA nimh will drive the led's *slightly* more than 3 AA alkalines or lithiums...but the discharge will be more constant over the life of the batteries...
I wonder if I can fit 4AA's....I think I might be able to...but the changes done to my Eternalight's casing will be irreversible....wish me luck!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a spring steel belt clip on the Eternalight. Then you could put it on the brim of a baseball cap to use it as a headlight.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
I want to mod my Eternalight. I'm not sure if I want to change my Elite just yet, so I'm going to try on my Ergo Marine:
Add three leds.
Try to add connections so I can use 4AA nimh instead of 3 AA's.

??? think it might work?
the use of 4AA nimh will drive the led's *slightly* more than 3 AA alkalines or lithiums...but the discharge will be more constant over the life of the batteries...
I wonder if I can fit 4AA's....I think I might be able to...but the changes done to my Eternalight's casing will be irreversible....wish me luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding 3 more LEDs could work. Using croc clips, I tried doing the same by tapping off a supply directly from my Ergo's LED leads to 3 more LEDs with no ill effect to output. Battery life will be affected, but haven't figured how much yet. Dunno about how you're gonna mount those extra lamps and another AA, though.

Why not just wait for brighter single LEDs? I've just read of those T-Ranks...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
I'd like to see a spring steel belt clip on the Eternalight. Then you could put it on the brim of a baseball cap to use it as a headlight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, this could be the start of a whole new spinoff cottage industry! So far, I've heard of these accessory requests, all excellent:

- Holster (exists already)
- Steel spring belt clip
- Bike handlebar attachment
- Clip-on anti-glare hood
- Clip-on color filters

Feel free to add to this list. I really think that future Eternalight body mouldings should feature some of the sort of side T-grooves/indents that you often find in cell phones for their accessories. That should give a secure means of mounting all sorts of attachments. Since they'll all be recessed, they shouldn't affect the size or shape. Whaddya guys think?

I'm hoping the powers that be are observing us and stroking their chins in generous consideration.... Mr Eternalight, r ya listenin' ?
wink.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had an idea to add to my previous post:

Maybe Techass could license out the right to make an entire half-shell replacement for any of the Eternalights even!

That way you could even swap/match colors like those fancy Nokia cellphones. The 3rd party bodyshell halves could feature all sorts of enhancements and they'd be cheaper to buy that a whole new light. More mounting options, T-grooves, magnets, brackets, clips, clip-on detents, external power supply inlets.... wow - I could go all day with this.

I'm eager to hear what you guys have to say
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
I have both lights, and I was quite surprised to discover that even with lithium batteries, the Photon Fusion isn't as bright as the Elite Xray. Even in Hyper Bright mode. This was not measured scientificaly, but by shining both lights on a sheet of white paper from 1" to 6" distance. The
E-Xray is not only brighter than the 6 LED's in the Photon Fusion, the light is much whiter. The Photon Fusion looks very blue next to the Elite Xray. Six LED's vs. 4 LED's

However, the Photon Fusion is quite close to the Elite Xray in output, if more blue, (and wide angled) and there are times when a headlight is much easier to use than a handheld light.

But there's no doubt about it: the Elite Xray Eternalight wins in both color and light output. It also has a better beam, of course, due to the narrower angle LED's.

For those who haven't seen the Photon Fusion Headlight, though, it's a *very nice* light, and while I first thoguht 4 wide angle and 2 narrow angle Nichia's was a mistake, the Photon Fusion does have a nice 'hot spot' at short to medium distances. This headlight is obviously only suited for only medium distances, but it does an excellent job for what it was designed to do.

And so does the Eternalight Elite Xray
cool.gif