"CopperLux", Homemade Copper Pipe Luxeon Star LED Flashlight

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a flashlight I made with one inch copper plumbing pipe, a pipe cap, and a pipe connector. It has a Luxeon Star, and voltage regulation by a MAX756, and uses 2 'C' batteries.

Go to this web page to see photos.

CopperLux
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Very creative. Looks like nice workmanship, too. Just a casual thought... I hope you will leave it at home when traveling by commercial aircraft. Those (now) federal employees doing security work will not like it.
wink.gif

See ya.
xyxwave.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Very creative. Looks like nice workmanship, too. Just a casual thought... I hope you will leave it at home when traveling by commercial aircraft. Those (now) federal employees doing security work will not like it.
wink.gif

See ya.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, carrying this flashlight to an airport guarantees you free passage, but not to your intended destination.
grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! I really like it.

I have to admit to building such a light many years ago; it had 16 red LEDs in it and was about as bright as any typical red LED is today.

You mention 6 hours of run time; what current are you driving the Luxeon at?

Again, that's a very nice mod; the original copper color is nice.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Nice job, Wayne...does the body of the flashlight get warm after a while? I bet the copper is a really good thing...for the heatsink purposes...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

If you don't mind my asking- -- How did you get that radial pattern coming off the LED in the second shot?? A plug-in to your image processing program??

Thanks!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Nice work! I really like it.

I have to admit to building such a light many years ago; it had 16 red LEDs in it and was about as bright as any typical red LED is today.

You mention 6 hours of run time; what current are you driving the Luxeon at?

Again, that's a very nice mod; the original copper color is nice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put this one together before I knew how to measure current. As the MAX756 is preset to 3.3 volts, I suppose it is running at 390mA.

I made a lot of these, with multiple white LED's, with 3 'C' batteries.

grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
Nice job, Wayne...does the body of the flashlight get warm after a while? I bet the copper is a really good thing...for the heatsink purposes...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Roger,

I never notice too much in the way of heat generation, unless it is on and inside a pocket! I think the copper disipates the heat extremely well. I think that the conductance of the copper in some way helps the regulator? Not sure, but it really cranks!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
Cool!

If you don't mind my asking- -- How did you get that radial pattern coming off the LED in the second shot?? A plug-in to your image processing program??

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bwah ha ha ha! Yes, I got carried away with touching up the photo with a light enhancement feature. Hee hee!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
How about making some of these for the CPFers...smooth out the housing a bit, get rid of the slide-type switch and replace it with a push button...you'd have one serious, simple, utility light!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
How about making some of these for the CPFers...smooth out the housing a bit, get rid of the slide-type switch and replace it with a push button...you'd have one serious, simple, utility light!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if there were an interest in this, I could make some for others. ?? It takes a lot of work for the switch. (I need to find a good tool for cutting a hole like this?) I have a rocker switch for the next one. I want to somehow incorporate a flashing/strobe feature. The rocker switch has 2 on settings, which would give 2 settings, constant on, and strobe. (Who, just who, could look at a strobing Luxeon Star?) Anybody have a good flashing circuit?

grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about making some of these for the CPFers...smooth out the housing a bit, get rid of the slide-type switch and replace it with a push button...you'd have one serious, simple, utility light!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regarding making these for others, I don't know. It takes me a lot of time. I'd be working for less than minimum wage, I think?

shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Voltage regulation?!??!?!?
blush.gif
Who needs that? Just slap a 12v lead acid battery on it and go
rolleyes.gif
. Direct-drive it until it pops. Seriously though, I have in the plans a current regulated mod. I espically like the copper look of your light!!

Eric

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

Well, if there were an interest in this, I could make some for others. ?? It takes a lot of work for the switch. (I need to find a good tool for cutting a hole like this?) I have a rocker switch for the next one. I want to somehow incorporate a flashing/strobe feature. The rocker switch has 2 on settings, which would give 2 settings, constant on, and strobe. (Who, just who, could look at a strobing Luxeon Star?) Anybody have a good flashing circuit?

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Threading the end caps would also be a plus.

I love the copper color, when I was a kid, my favorite crayon in my box of 64 was the copper one.... This would have to be shellaced or something to keep it from going verdigris, though...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alaric Darconville:
Threading the end caps would also be a plus.

I love the copper color, when I was a kid, my favorite crayon in my box of 64 was the copper one.... This would have to be shellaced or something to keep it from going verdigris, though...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I don't care for is the cap that pushes on. However, it has never been a problem. I squeeze the end cap a bit to put it out of round, so it is real snug. If it ever comes a little loose, which is extremely seldom, I just give it a little push and slight twist.

It has a coat of clear enamel on it, which keeps it the copper color.

grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,

Package and market as a $250 plumber's flashlight (they can afford it with their rates). You'd be rich!