Mini Review - Nuwait Quantum III 3 Watt

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Recently Morgan managed to get a few pieces of this light and I managed to get one from him, Roland and Shean was asking me how is it so I thought I might as well post here. Sorry my review got no photos, perhaps later.

The packaging in general wrote "Precision machined high strenght aircraft aluminium with anoxided finish, 3 watt LED lasting 100,000 hours, aluminium faceted reflector, flawless white beam, polycarbonate lens, water resistant, up to 75 lumens output power, use 1 piece CR123A battery.

Starting with the obvious; lenght of this guy is 9.5cm, or 3 and 3/4 inch, diameter is 1 inch at the bezel and 3/4 inch at the tail. Comes with a 1 and 1/2 inch long belt clip which extends from below the head towards the tail, so you can't use it as a pocket clip, or else the 1 inch head will be protruding out of your pocket. It will clip into a 1 inch width business pants belt nicely, but when I tried it with a 1.5 inch width tactical webbing it is quite loose. There is a groove between body and head, so I guess a Surefire style lanyard can be attached. It comes with a crappy pouch which looks like those cheapos for mobile phones, the belt loop of this pouch is rather filmsy, don't think any serious CPFer will use it. The tailcap is an on/off clickie switch, the button protrudes a bit out of the tail shroud so it can't stand upright, no candlemode for this guy. The tailcap button looks and feels well made however. The lens is recessed about 3/16 inch from the bezel end, and I estimate the LED bulb is about 7/8 inch deep from the bezel end. The reflector is orange peel texture, looks good and deep, lotsa potential for throw. Anoxiding is very good, very clean, sleek finish that puts some premium flashlights to shame. It sure looks like a mini Streamlight. The bezel is knurled and the body checkered, I would say the grip is good, although I wonder why the Nuwai knurled the bezel, since the light is turned on and off by clicking the tail button and the bezel can't be turned to adjust any focus whatsoever. The bezel would have serve very well for one hand operation if this light turns on and off by twisting. After turning on the light for like 10 minutes, the light feels slightly warm but not uncomfortably.

Is the beam white? After seeing so much color tones for Luxeon white beams, its hard to define white. First impression when comparing with Longbow Micras it does appears very white. I compared it with two Longbow Micras, one stock configuration, one with IMS reflector and UCL, Inova XO and Surefire L2. The Micras looks very green when compared with the Nuwai, making the Nuwai appears really white and the Micras green, the Inova XO is very purplish, and when compared to the Nuwai, they are very close in tone. I can say the Nuwai is slightly purplish but not as much as the Inova XO. Surefire L2's white is the best of the lot, but even then, its not really a true white. The white beam is definitely better that Inova XO and Longbow Micra, at that bargain price, it certainly impress. The beam's throw is like a Micra with stock configuration, but the beam is much better due to the fact that it use reflector instead of optics; it produces a center hotspot with a round side spill and no artifacts. The spill is smaller when compared to the Micra with IMS reflector but its about the same with the Micra with stock optics. Not sure of the runtime, someone mentioned its about 1 hour?

I am very happy with this light, a very good buy at SGD$85/-, compared to the SGD$160/- I spent on the Micra, and that havent account for the IMS reflector and UCL upgrade yet.

Read this link too:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=626352&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2#Post630377

Edited to correct some line spacing errors.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, Sjackal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Wonder how it'll compare to a Pelican M6LED? But you didn't do the bashing it on a metal rod 10 times test? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
Great review, Sjackal. But no bashing it on a metal rod 10 times test? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If or when I receive one of these flashlights, I'll take care of that part of the test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i must say, that is a VERY nice looking light!

things are looking great in the flashlight world.

Bob

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im very tempted to get one... Not too expensive too, relative to SF and ARC.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
thats really nice. i might just get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

of course, i'll have to get some money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BillBill

Newly Enlightened
This is Nuwai's first 3W Lux light, correct? It seems like they've done a good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it compare to the Streamlight TL-2? Anyone know? Beamshots would be appreciated too.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
$85? Wow,that means Mark2 is giving a GREAT deal then at $58 shipped!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's $85 Singapore Dollars coach. Do the math /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh!Actually,what is the math out of curiousity?How much U.S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
That's $85 Singapore Dollars coach. Do the math /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
$85 Singapore is about $45-$50 US. Problem is, I have not found another source anywhere else that has these... Anyone know?

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
Its from me. US$49 = S$85

But no stocks at the moment. it will take 1mth before the next batch arrive.

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
$85 Singapore is about $45-$50 US. Problem is, I have not found another source anywhere else that has these... Anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Morganch_oh said:
Its from me. US$49 = S$85

But no stocks at the moment. it will take 1mth before the next batch arrive.

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark2 is going to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh!Actually,what is the math out of curiousity?How much U.S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can bookmark this page.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
red_robby said:
i think i can still get these, do we maybe want to start a group buy ?

[/ QUOTE ]

At what price? Less than US$49? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
red_robby said:
if we get over 10 pcs, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif