• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ARC AA to 1W

topolM

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

New to forum, torch lover since I could hold one, have some questions.

Just received ARC AA.

I was very excited but after playing around with it I'm just not impressed with its output. Made me think that I should have ordered the AAA.

Need advice on how to follow the steps of Silver Legacy AA mod.

A dat2zip Madmax+ converter was used with a Batwing (Q4H) on Cut down NX-05 optics.

Are there any directions anywhere on how to disassemble ARC AA head with out ripping the LED from the board?

Since I paid retail for the AA instead of getting just the tube I don't want to destroy the head and was hoping I could stuff it in one of my Solitaires. Any ideas?

Personally, if I had access I would have gotten NLS, Keylux, etc., because considering the output Arc AA is just to big and heavy to lug around.

That's where I'm at the moment and would appreciate some help.

p.s. Feel free to e-mail me.

cy

Flashaholic
Don't destroy a good AA head. I've got an empty head and/or body. Please PM if interested.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what cy said,
Don't gut the head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif cy can hook you up with an empty head for the Arc AA. The stock Arc AA is a great camping, reading, walking around light that is waterproof and will last for decades.
Keep us posted on the mod and welcome to the CPF!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
topo,
Hopefully cy has an AA head left that you could use for your mod. His thing is Luxeons (dat2zips "sammies" in particular) he is a good resource when it comes to stuffing Luxeons into things.
Another option would be the MJ converter that is designed for a single cell and pumps 155mA into the Luxeon. It is the device used in the Lambda MicroIlluminator AAA light and it works very well. Hey cy, in your stack of Luxeon Stars, Luxeon Vs, sammies and firefly parts... have you messed around with the MJ regulator boards? Would they be a better fit for an AA head?

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I just got a gutted Arc AA from cy and going to try to mod it to luxeon as well. My plan is to use a MJ board and I am hoping to get some of those "micro lens". The MJ board is 9.5mm and the Arc AA head seems to around the same diameter, so it may be a very tight fit or may require some boring.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
6p,
How tall is the board, about 5mm or so? I was thinking of soldering in a small spring for the positive contact and it, coupled with the foam disk would prevent damage to the board when dropped.
The big question is how to fit a lens in the AA head, one of sandwich shoppes acrylic balls cut in half?

6pOriginal

Enlightened
The MJ board is 1mm thick, so in terms of height, I think there's plenty of room to work with inside the AA head. The "mirco lens" that I talked about was from this thread and it's the same lens that's on the Luxeon Solitaire made by tonyb. It's been around back already, and I haven't really seen any wide spread usuage of it. If I can't find any of those, it will probably ended up without any optics. It would be nice to cut down a acrylic ball or do with silver legacy did, cut down a NX05...but that's going to be a lot of work especially since I don't really have too many tools.

***edit***
the url insert thing didn't work for some reason, so here's the URLs:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=545368&Forum=All_Forums&Words="micro%20lens"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=529916&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post545368
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=535529&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

topolM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you guys!

I'm a bit slow on responding these days. I'm still running that strange mid-summer LA flew.

Thanks for the suggestions and here's another question.

I definitely do not want to destroy the head, and was wondering, it gutted tubes are available, where do you think I can find a gutted head?

In that case, I can have an interchangeable head for one tube.

Nichia for long burn, camping type use, and Luxeon.

BTW, it's great to be here, you can't image how many people find my passion for flashlights a bit "strange" J

topolM

Newly Enlightened
You see?

Just missed another one.

Cy, let me know about the empty head please.

I'm all sideways today.

Thanks again.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey topolM, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

You'll find a lot of people here, 'self included of course, with a passion for lites, and who are regarded as a bit odd by the general populace. ("You collect what, and whatever in hell for?")

welcome again and good luck with the mod when you find the parts,
daloosh