Mailbox light

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm looking for a new mailbox. I'll probably just get the standard rural box, curved top with the red flag on the side. Sort of looks like a quonset(sp) hut. Anyhow I would like to put a light in it.
Here are my specs-
*Light turns on/off with door open/close.
*Runs off small solar panel. See below.
*Operating temperature -40F to 130F (solar heating)
*Low light output
I was thinking a couple LED's maybe powered by a capacitor as I don't know of any battery that would survive the temperature extremes for charging. Though maybe drop the solar panel and use a lithium battery, at a couple minutes use a day it should last a while. Also what color LED would be most efficient?
Color and brightness wouldn't be a factor as it really doesn't need to be bright, just to make sure we don't miss mail. I was thinking of using a magnetic switch so I don't have to worry about moisture/freezing. Also any input on adhesive would be a help. I was thinking of using epoxy or JB weld rather than any screws or rivets so as to maintain weathertightness. Due to my lack of experience in electronics I'd like to stay away from anything complex, just a simple circuit. Any comments, suggestions or other ideas would be welcome. Just don't suggest shining a flashlight in, it works but getting a light out of my pocket in the car is what I'm trying to avoid. Lazy? Yes
wink.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw in a recent catalog a mailbox with a wireless transmitter that signaled when opened as in a mail delivery. Not a light but you do know "You've got mail".
grin.gif

Lsaulog

Newly Enlightened
Hi Witsend,

Just a thought, but have you looked into one of those battery-operated motion detection lights? You know, the kind that light up when someone walks by? I've seen some pretty small versions of them. One may meet your needs. The downer would be battery life vs. temperature extremes. AA or AAA are cheap enough to work, though. JMHO.
smile.gif

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I tried one of those wireless mail notification things from "the Shack". It worked for 1 day, then stopped working. It uses a photocell to detect light change. The down side is a limited range of 150 feet. I could only place the receiver in one location so it could receive the signal.

Summary: don't bother.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the photon on my keychain to get my mail for a year on the same batteries. So honestly I wouldn't bother with the solar charger. Just a lithium AA a magnetic reed switch or something and the head of an infinity which you don't need now that you have an arc.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acctually I don't have an Arc yet
shocked.gif
. And as a matter of fact I like my infinity
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
,but I do plan on an LE as soon as I can be sure of a 3.0. Anyhow the more I've thought about it, it seems like a couple LED's hooked to a couple Lithium AA's with a magnetic reed switch would work well. Any thoughts on real life with batteries in temperature extremes. And "best" LED's I'm probably looking at Radio Shack for all my shopping.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one Li Cr123 (Three volts) and the brightest Yellow you can find at radio shack. At 3 v a white LED shoul be about as bright as an infinity. Should last way longer than the photon I've had for a year.

It helps if the inside of the mailbox is silver or white.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put one of those cheapie round touch-lights in the box, then tap it to check for stragglers after getting the mail out. Good diffuse light for lighting up the whole interior. $2 solution isn't very interesting and isn't LED, but it does the job... Only problem I had when when a stack of heavy mail landed on it and turned it on until it died; otherwise it works well enough-

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for something automatic. I drive a van that is taller than the mailbox and sometimes have trouble getting the mail. Option of raising mailbox won't work as the delivery person has to be able to reach from car. I've pretty much settled on a magnetic switch. Any suggestions on LED's or configuration (ie. series/parallel). Radio Shack is probably my source. I think I'll go w/ 2 AA lithium as battery holder is easy to get. Has anyone used batteries that were at -40? A flashlight in your pocket doesn't count but glove box would.
Again thanks for help.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only drawback of the switch is if your mailman doesn't close the lid fully, as mine has done on occasion- you'll come back to a dead battery, unless you put in an automatic timer circuit to shut it off.

Are you able to reach the bottom of the box while in your van? Just wondering how you can reach all the mail, especially in the back, if it's that high up-

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Use lithiums, they should handle -40 with about a 10% drop of voltage or so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thank-you Daniel I was thinking you might have some experience with C-C-COLD
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> So you want a light that goes on when there is mail in box? Or when door is open?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Only when door is open. We get mail in the dark often and need a light to make sure we get any loose pieces.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Are you able to reach the bottom of the box while in your van? Just wondering how you can reach all the mail, especially in the back, if it's that high up-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No sometimes we have to open door and lean out to get that letter way at the back(park is a good idea when trying this
smile.gif
). The auto-light I'm thinking of would help us see the back more easily.
Any suggestions on an automatic timer?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a cheapo GE tap light with a 90 second auto off circuit. It cost about $5 at Target. maybe you could get one just for the circuit?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like just the thing- maybe you could just mount it at the top of the box; if you can reach the bottom of the box for the mail you can surely reach the tap light.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I have a cheapo GE tap light with a 90 second auto off circuit. It cost about $5 at Target. maybe you could get one just for the circuit? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That may be the ticket. I'd still want to use a magnetic switch but the auto-off would be a plus. I was thinking if I put the magswitch at the bottom of the box then unless the door was hanging totaly open the magnet would be close enough to kill the switch

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bmccue1964:
I tried one of those wireless mail notification things from "the Shack". It worked for 1 day, then stopped working. It uses a photocell to detect light change. The down side is a limited range of 150 feet. I could only place the receiver in one location so it could receive the signal.

Summary: don't bother.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's down to $4.97 with the Radio Shack online coupon promotion, so it might be worth getting to play with. Comes with two 2032 batteries and a 12V 2A adapter which is almost worth it alone-

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hold it I've got another big idea but this one might actually work!

For the switch part I would go buy an alarm switch for a home alarm...I mean a door contact switch thingie. Get one and replace the switching mechanism in the tap-light with it. If you aern't in too deep $$ wise maybe you could then spring for a LED conversion for the tap-light

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, here MY nutty idea. Cut a hole in the top of the box near the rear...glue a clear piece of plastic there...paint some glow paint on the plastic. No batt, no bulb, no switch. Maybe no light...hey, I don`t know...would both sides glow...top and bottom?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ohhhh now things are getting interesting, add a UV LED. Y not just use a white led? Well as I often say, that would be too simple.

GID is cool stuff, I am finally making my GID paint today I think.