Candlelight Dinner

L3

Newly Enlightened
Candles at the dinner table add great atmosphere. Unfortunately, they also contaminate the immediate atmosphere with microscopic carbon particles. Just hold a spoon or other metal object over a candle flame for a few seconds and observe the black soot that is deposited. As candles burn, you are inhaling that awful stuff.

There is good news, though. You can have the pleasure of candlelight, without the air pollution. C.Crane has a great LED Candle you may wish to consider. Not only is this a unique gift idea for those outside of your immediate family, but you will probably want one or two for your own home use.

Now, that is candlepower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L3

naromtap

Enlightened
Can't beleive you just posted that L3 as I was just contemplating packing an LED light instead of candles for a weekend away with a girlfriend but decided LED's are too cold for that purpose. These look interesting but probably don't ship to the UK - I'll have a closer look in a bit. I have to ask you L3, do your posts come from within or do you just search the net, find something we all might find interesting & then copy & paste?!

L3

Newly Enlightened
naromtap,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you be able to purchase the LED Candle.

My posts come directly from my unconstrained creative and widely experienced mind. I hope you enjoy them. Unless you observe a special source credit, the words are strictly my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was surprised by that price too.
Too rich for my blood; I guess I won't be buying one for CPF sakes or for my website sakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Milkyspit made some nice LED candles too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

L3

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the high price. 'I just report. You decide.' The C.Crane LED candle is the neatest one I've seen so far. Still, there are some similar flickering LED candles on the market. With time, more choices should become available.

A disadvantage of the C.Crane candle is that it uses a non-removable NiCd battery. This represents a noteworthy design deficiency. NiCd batteries also suffer from some well known electrochemical drawbacks over NiMH.

Bob

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
CCrane is not exactly a discount merchant when it comes to most things.

But they are interested in what people think of their stuff. A few emails from people concerned about the ancient tech powering an otherwise neat device would certainly result in them putting some pressure on the manufacturer of these things to update at least to NiMH. Which honestly should be a no-brainer. Same stuff, different charger. Or if it's a dumb trickle charger then probably no changes at all except some extra verbage in the documentation telling you not to leave it on the charger for more than 24 hours or something.

If you're interested in this and want to see it with better batteries, drop them a note.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I thought they only created that much soot when you interupted the combustion process by putting something (like a spoon) in the way of the flame.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

naromtap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Milkyspit made some nice LED candles too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have a couple ordered from Milkyspit - looking forward to those!

L3 - do you have one of those candles you have posted a link to?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electric candles are not a new idea you know. This ad:

Electric%20Candle%20Lamp.jpg

...is probably from the late 1890s or early 1900s. And seeing as though old fashioned fire-based candles are still so popular today, there was probably a similar indifference to this new fangled technology back then too, hence they never realy caught on. Intriguing relic from the past nonetheless.

Taken from the largely incomplete and overly Flash-dependent earlytech.org.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Latest posts