The flat flood palm light

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta build, gotta build, sorry, thinking out loud...
Here is another one from me. I got my hands on a bunch of surface mount white leds.
IMAG0003.JPG

And I had to build something with them. A while back I got some Li-ION cell phone batts for a buck each. These are only 5.5cm x 2.5cm x .3cm. to keep things compact, instead of finding someting to put this in, I decided to build ON it. And thus, the Flat Flood was born.
IMAG0002.JPG

IMAG0001.JPG

These leds are pretty bright and have a output angle of 100o plus. the 8 leds draw about180mA total, and light up a room quite well. And best of all.... its small

IMAG0000.JPG

IMAG0004.JPG

Jeff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
very cool!

The emphasis around here has been on luxeon lights more than usual lately. It's great to see some more arrays!

How hot do those get when they run? Do they get enough heat sinking from the connections?

That circuit board at the top, is that the protection circuit from the battery?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The circuit board on top was to hold the leds in place, and provide a wiring platform. at 20-22mA the heat is passed well enough through the back and the pads. The leds have a 1 ohm resistor in series with each one. The small circuit board is the one included inside the battery for over/under charging protection. I try to keep these with the batteries to make life simpler when charging. I use an old cell phone charger with a green/red indicator for charging status.
Jeff

geek

Newly Enlightened
That's a very neat little light you've built! It reminds me of the lights the Star Trek Next Generation posse used when they were out exploring planets and whatnot. I've seen cellphone chargers that accept several bare battery packs at once; it would be quite cool to build several lights like yours and keep them on such a charger. You could snag a couple when you start on a task and put them back on the charger when you're done.