Questions about putting WriteRight on Lenses

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
I put some of this on some Mag C and D lights. I can't get the stuff to stay perfectly smooth after I install the lenses, though it was good when it went on. Seems to get tiny bubbles and lifts from the lens edges after a while. Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong? This was the Zire style WriteRight.

Also, this stuff seems to create some new artifacts on Mini-Mag lenses, though much less annoying than the stock artifacts (to me). Guess it's because of the bulb and short focus? Is this what others see? Protects those flimsy lenses at least.

[I also tried the Belkin PDA screen protectors. Seem to stick and stay smoother, but not as good for the Mag light artifacts. Terrible with Mini-Mags... This was the Palm m100 Belkin stuff, dirt cheap compared to that for other PDAs.]

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks. Does it say "Satin" on the tape, or is that just the description of the tape finish? I have lots of satin *finish* Scotch/3M tape, but don't know if that's the stuff. Does it leave a glue residue if you take it off?

FWIW, the Belkin m100 costs $2 for 12 sheets, so was worth a try (had other color displays to try it on anyways). Much nicer "kit" IMO than the vastly more expensive WriteRight, even the cheapest WR for the Zire.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I don't know about the stuff you're using, but the WrightRight comes in two versions...for color PDA's and B&W pda's. You must use the B&W WrightRight flim for the flashlights. The film for color pda's will not work.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Writeright should go on the inide of the lens. Sounds as if you might have it on the outside. You also mention the Belkin being used on"other color displays" -- the proper Writeright is for mono display because it is a different texture and I would assume would be the same for the Belkin.

All I know about this is what I've learned on this forum and a little experience.

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! OK, the WriteRight and Belkin stuff I used is for monochrome displays, that's why it's so relatively cheap I guess. I have only tried the Belkin brand on color displays and you are correct it doesn't look "right"...but it was cheap and does protect the color displays until the manufacturer makes proper cases (come on Garmin, it's been way long enough!).

You are correct, I have the WR on the outside of the lens. Why does it matter? I thought it would protect the crappy Mag lenses a bit there. Is that why it's "wrinkling" a few hours after installing? Will reverse the lenses and find out!

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I have mine on the outside and it works fine and doesn't try to come off.1st make sure the lens is CLEAN.I use windex.Then make it a little smaller than the lens,don't try to go all the way to the edges.Then take a credit card or license or something like that,and work the bubbles out.Just like the do with window titnting.You probably won't get EVERY single tiny bubble,but most will get worked out.

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks again. I suspected "going to the edge" like I did might be the wrinkling problem, because it did go on smooth. Also, I tend to store my lights on the bezels, which probably didn't help the wrinkling (or rather, *did* help it). Guess I should have asked you guys after the first one, instead of after 4...but I can cut smaller without wasting the $$ WR already on I think. BTW, the Belkin $2 kit comes with a nice no-lint/scratch cleaning cloth and a "credit card". I used plastic lens cleaner, like for glasses.

The cheap Belkin m100 (mono) stuff works OK on the C and D Mags with the longer focus, but not as well as the WR. But good enough I'm going to grab a couple more packs while it's still around.

chumley

Enlightened
I have found that the best way to apply a film like WriteRight is to attach one edge and then slowly let the film down from the starting point. Like the reverse of peeling it off. I almost never get wrinkles that way.