Anybody else try that Nuwai 1W LS 1x123 from RS

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
Radio Shack that is, maybe just in Canada. Today is the end of my one week trial period. I was lucky to get even that, most dealers wouldn't allow any trial out of store, but maybe my mistake was in asking first...since they have a 30 day return period, I couldn't figure it out. Everybody has them in stock this week, rare last week.

What do you think? Price seems in line to similar. Very sturdy build, decent 1W beam as far as intensity, everybody who used it liked it. Easy to hold like a full-size light, just fat enough, no need for that dainty skinny-light poise. Small enough to fit in the pocket without being *too* embarassing... The lens won't come out for replacement or to correct that Mag-style beam (though you can still do something).

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody else try that Nuwai 1W LS 1x123 from R

Mag-style beam from an LED? Any pics of the light and the beam?

L

LITEmania

I think the beamshot is same with Lux-III version.
Only difference is, IMHO, an intensity of beam.(lumen)

CraigF

Newly Enlightened

The light is on the radioshack.ca site, search for "ultrabeam"...the case is actually what we'd call a pewter color.

It has a "Mag-style" beam because it's focusable, besides dual-intensity. It uses a 123, contrary to what the RS web site says. It's not on the Nuwai web site, but I've seen them elsewhere before, and it has the characteristic Nuwai look and finish and build, that's why I'm calling it a Nuwai without "proof".

To be fair, this is actually IMO *very* solidly built, thus its larger size/weight compared to some other 1x123 lights. Nicely put together too, when you take it apart, thoughtful construction. I guess water-proofing the lens/LED area required the lens to be "permanently" installed, but I may be wrong and more experienced might be able to get it out and re-installed properly (there's an O-ring squeezed in just below the lens, deep in the bezel).

L

LITEmania

I checked that site and found the one you mentioned.

But I have only 3 watt new design of Nuwai's.

Please check my web. or other threads here in CPF.

CraigF

Newly Enlightened

Warren: It's not a new design, to the best of my knowledge, just has been branded with an RS name. This model was offered for sale by somebody in B/S/T a while ago as part of an all-Nuwai model sale. It was the same guy who is currently selling the 3W Nuwai's.

I did not try to *totally* disassemble the light, since I might not have kept it. There are distinguishing internal manufacturing identifiers though that suggest Nuwai, besides just the external look and construction. Or it could be an excellent clone.

The "other" 1W LS (3AAA) that RS sells in Canada is definitely a Nuwai model. Or a perfect clone.

That's all the circumstantial evidence I have...

Edit: it is #10 in the first pic.
Nuwai Lights

Latest posts