Have a kid who's a potential flashaholic?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a kid who\'s a potential flashaholic?

Yesterday was a birthday party for my one-year old grandson. My other grandson, Allen, who is 6 1/2 years old was there. I thought he ought to have a little gift too. So I gave him one the the Harbor Freight $10 incandescent light with single 123A battery.

Allen took to it fast. He unscrewed and examined everything he could. Then he did beam tests on the ceiling, adjusting the focus. When I last saw him he was eagerly awaiting sunset so he could "really" see what it could do.

The interesting part of all this is that when he got the light, he put away his Gameboy (which he got only the previous day). It seems to me that he is potentially a serious flashaholic.

Any kid in your family like this?

Paul

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Have a kid who\'s a potential flashaholic?

My little sister does a lot of annoying things to me; she wears my T-shirts for soccer practice, she takes the dog into my computer room, she even stole half of the computer RAM and sold it on Ebay! (I mean, where do they get this stuff?!?)
Fine, but the most annoying one is: she steals my flashlights!!! Urgh! I've been trying to get her her own set just to get her to leave mine...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Aren't all kids potential flashaholics? I gave a dorcy AAA to each of my nephews, and they were enthralled. When I visited last week I got a hug and then was asked if I brougfht any flashlights to show them. Even my 4 year old niece wanted to play with my whole collection.

Yes, it must be genetic.

Daniel

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it runs in the family. My sister likes flashlights, and my dad is a flashaholic as well (FlashlightDR).

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

my nephews love flashlights!

they're between the ages of 2 and 6, and will often run up and "steal" one from my pocket.

right now it's cute, but if they get any older... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened

You know the expression "cheap drunk",well my Dad is a "cheap flashoholic"! Having said that and looking back,I can remember him putting little flashlights in my kids' stockings almost every Christmas.Gotta love Papas!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as I know, there isn't one kid that I met that is not a potential flashaholic. It is amazing isn't it? All kids like to play with flashlights, and that includes my 2 year old nephew. He would be looking for my Inova X5T everytime he come to my place. He wanted to touch my Surefires too but he is prohibited...by me of course.

naromtap

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said: she even stole half of the computer RAM and sold it on Ebay!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Classic!!!

Well OF COURSE I, arewethereyetDAD, have a couple of flashaholic kids in the making. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Both my 8 year old son and my 5 year old daughter have taken to their latest gifts from Dad: I had ordered a bunch of Xnova's from maverick in various colors - my son picked out a gold one and my daughter selected a blue. They have flashlight wars and play hide and seek with them. I explain to them that these cheap $8 lights are "very fancy" and "be sure not to lose them." (It's important to teach flashlight etiquette at an early age.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened

I think of potential flashaholics as little kids and...rednecks, both have simple minds and are attracted to shiny objects, whether they be in the sky of hand held.

simbad

Enlightened

"Dad let me check your lights again please, and also those two in your pockets" or "Heyy..I want one like that", they have few lights, but being two children (14 and 8) every buy is x2, specially leds.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif, anyway, Iam the third kid of the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Simbad, you got THAT right...every buy is x2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif If one gets one and the other doesn't there'll be hell to pay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
arewethereyetdad said:
Simbad, you got THAT right...every buy is x2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif If one gets one and the other doesn't there'll be hell to pay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when they do get a light there's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif to pay (especially with an M6)

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Both of my boys , ages 6 and 23 months, love flashlights. But as has been said I guess most kids love flashlights. My youngest one always wants my more expensive toys and gets pretty mad if I say no. Has anyone ever tried to get something away from a toddler? Especially something like a flashlight that they can grip well? I swear if my grip were as strong as his I believe I could climb walls like Spiderman. I used to keep him busy with a CMG Sonic but now that he has played with brighter toys he will not touch the Sonic. I try to give him the Sonic and he shakes his head and says "no". If he does take it he then proceeds to throw it as far as his little arm will allow. Then he runs to the closet where I keep my good flashlights and points and says "mine, mine".