Need a Good Set of Headphones

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm in search of a good pair of headphones. I'm looking for a set that's small, but durable. I'm not interested in ear-buds, but actual headphones to use on my iPOD. Any suggestions?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
radio shack pro 35 headphones.
sound great to me for the money.
they are put on sale about 5 times a year for 20 bucks a pair. 40 bucks normally.

they use evaporated layered titanium drivers with neonydium magnets
and oxygen free copper wire voice coils and cord
inline volume control.

they are made by koss(koss ktx pro)and sound better than headphones costing a lot more.

I work for a company that let's you listen to music (depending on the situation)
co workers with heavier or more expensive headphones
listen to my cheap rat shack phones and usually switch.

http://www.hotmp3gear.com/Headphones1.htm

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F003%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D1222

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sennheiser PX100 (open air) or Sennheiser PX200 (closed). Both have earbuds that just cover the ear. Both are foldable. I bought the PX200 for Christmas from ecost at $30 but have not seen them that cheap since. Can look around but more like $40 or $50 from what I see. The RS Pro35's are a good value at $20 but the Sennheiser PX200 absolutely blow them out of the water as I listened to both. I think they would be a perfect complement to the Ipod.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_streetwear_pxseries

Rex

Newly Enlightened
Hi TIN,

From my experience, Grados provide the best value for money. They have accurate, clear, uncolored sound and are easy to drive from personal music players. They handle most types of music very well.

Rex

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pair of Sennheisser HD580's for about $300 a few years ago. They are excellent. My brother bought the same pair recently for MUCH less, so they may be a good deal if you can still find them.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice you wanted them for an ipod. The 580's are full sized. More suited to a quality home stereo.

Spudman

Enlightened
Don't know your price range, but I would agree that Grados and Sennheisers are good buys at several price points. I have the Sennheiser HD 497s that I bought on sale. They are a budget level headphone but have a very pleasing sound to my aging ears, including usable bass. I use them with a cd walkman.

Lucien

Enlightened
I'm using the Sennheisser PX100s on my 4G iPod. They're clear and sharp, and were recommended by a reviewer over the PX200s. Sometimes though, they seem too sharp, and fatigue my ears. I prefer my HD495s, but they're not "portable" to me, and somehow don't seem to sound as good on my iPod. If you can get a chance, see if you can try out the headphones first.

Also heard good things about the Koss PortaPros, but I've never heard them myself.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PortaPros are pretty good - I've got a set here, along with the Sony EX-71SL's, and those are two of the best earphones I've owned. The in-ear phones are good at cutting out the noise the way the QuietComfort2 phones are, but without flattening the sound a bit at the higher ranges the way those phones do, due to the active-noise cancellation tech. But the QuietComfort2's are pretty good for watching movies, in my experience.

HOWEVER, if you can afford to buy Bose QuietComfort2 phones at their listed price of $299, then for an extra $30 or so you can get the Etymotic 4P's, which are probably the BEST headphones available commercially in that price range, even beating out the Shure E3c. Only the E5c does better, but that's $500 and they need a mould of your ears for custom-fitting the earpiece. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In-ear phones are as different from earbuds as headphones are from those clip-on headphones that have become so common the past few years - the former just STAY better and sound better, whereas the earbuds and clip-ons are just cheesy-sounding in my experience, and don't stay in place.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally LOVE my Etymotics, best sound I've ever heard, including my regular speakers (NHT's), and my set of Grado 325's. Great noise isolation, better than the Bose as far as I can tell, though it takes a bit to get used to the in ear experience, though.

Bill

Banshee

Enlightened
Another vote for the EX71's. I use mine daily with my Portable DVD player on the hour long commute to and from Boston. Great sound..super bass response for an earbud style and comfy silicone buds too!

BobVA

Enlightened
I concur with markdi's recommedation, or the equivalent Koss PortaPro's. Fantastic sound and you can fold up the Koss version into a small package.

If you've got the buck, try out a good set of in-ear phones. Really block external noise and they are tiny. I can be using mine and don't even have to turn up the volume when I fire up the vacuum cleaner. (I've got the Emyotics 6P's)

Cheers,
Bob

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm fond of my Sony MDR-V6's.

Now I just need to get a decent hardrware sound card on my PC since that's the weak link in my sound system at the moment.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I use and abuse Radio Shack Pro 35s, as suggested earlier in this thread. They're heartily build phones that take a beating, and another, and another, and another, and then when they do die, they're inevitably on sale. I have never paid more than $20 for these cans. I just last night took off the worn out foamies and replaced them with a $2 set of foamies out of the machine at work (I work at a call center...)

I have a pair of Shure E2Cs that I liked at first, but I like less now. Maybe I'm not wearing them correct, or maybe I just have small ears, but they're just not all that comfortable. I could try to sell them, but there doesn't seem to be a huge market for used, in-ear buds, even if you include replacement plugs et. all.

I want a pair of Grado SR-60s next. If, for nothing else, to answer the question for everybody on the web as to weather they are better than the Radio Shack cans.