built my dad a pc

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man but it sems it can be bought cheaper if he got it from walmart
here is what it has it has a 12xdvd burner that burns cd at 40x as well and a course plays them and plays dvd.it has 512 megs a ddr 2700 ethernet and modem a course.80 gig 7200 rpm 8 meg cache hardrive.logitech mouse and keyboard both wireless nice case with front usb a amd xp 2500 cpu and a 6 channle sound card mobo is asus btw with a via chipset but it still cost him 440 for parts dont that seem high?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Raggie,

I have to agree. I just built a PC that I could have purchased cheaper. But this way, I know whats in my PC. Not some no name propriatary Mobo or parts like you find in some(won't mention any names) pre-assembled PC's.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats true tiktok.my dad did say the last pc i built him was the only pc he ever had that was stable and he owned compaq ,ibm at and t lol att n t used to make pc,s he said it was like a 286 and cost a lot it only had a green and black screen. this pc i built him i ran prime 95 on it for hours with no crashes. but man it cost so much for parts.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. What model number is that mobo?

[/ QUOTE ]A7V8X-MX SE it has on board video but it has a agp slot.if i want to upgrade him. but my dad he wont need nothing fancy he uses pc just to check his stocks and edit photos..o with the keybopard and mouse he got a camera web camera to lol he did get a good deal on that it was a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse and a webcam for 20 buccks . lol i looked for the camera on its own it was 30 we did good on that

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always searching for great prices on PC parts. When I find one really cheap, I usually buy it even if I don't have a need for it at the time. I will usually end up using it or trading it for a part or parts that I need with my buddies. So far this has worked out pretty good for me.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,
Congrats on building your dad a pc! You might think it costs more, but quality parts always do! I have always used PCs that I build myself, my current beast is an AMD Athlon mobile 2400+ (mildly overclocked to 2500 and running at 1.35 volts for 35 watts of heat)
No cheezy power supply (Antec TruPower 430) giant solid copper Thermalright heatsinks with 80mm quiet case fan to keep it cold. Crucial (Micron) memory and Zalmann quiet fans (three 92mm case fans running at around 6 volts) Rubber mounts, thermal controllers and giant heatsinks on the Radeon video card etc. The beast is fast, cool running and very, very quiet.
The best thing about "rolling your own" is you know every part in the box. No proprietary parts, cheapo parts, overheating parts and loud fans. In a year, this puppy will go to my boys, their Celeron 300A (overclocked to 464MHz) nVidia TNT box will go the way of the dodo. I has been running 6 years and has one more to go.
I will build my next box also, in the home theater PC format. AMD Athlon64/MicroATX/ATI All in Wonder box with a full sized ATX power supply. Throw in a 17" LCD monitor and it will be small, powerful, quiet and easily transported. The case will be heavily modified to support the ducting for the CPU and video card (longer story than this post!)
Another good thing about building your own, they can be slowly upgraded over time so you wife won't figure it out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i use a antec 430 benthed i love it i overclcok like a mofo this amd 2100 runs at amd 3400 speeds in winter 200x12 .

turbodog

Flashaholic
I just finished a pc today. Parts cost me about $5000.

Case weighed 70lbs empty.

Dual 400 atx Xeon power supplies in supermicro case
asus dual xeon board
4 gigs matched 3200 ram
4 10k rpm enterprise hard drives
serial raid controller
dual xeon 3.06 hyperthreading
plextor cdrw
floppy
usb 2.0
gigabit nic
HP 72 gig dds tape backup
uw scsi controller

So fast you better not blink while it's booting or you'll miss it!

Then add another $3500 for the O/S.