Lamp giving over 25 lumens for more than 5 hrs

corky099

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a lamp that I can use for Caving underground. It does'nt have to be a headtorch as I can attach it to a hard hat. The problem I am having is that most 'small' bright lamps only last upto 3 hours before dimming. I want somthing that will stay brighter than 25 Lumens for at least 5 hrs. I would prefer to use cheap AA batteries as well!

Any ideas???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

cy

Flashaholic
You may consider looking at a Princeton Impact XL, on sale at gander mt for $15. but most will sell for $35. uses 4x AA.

it's a diving light, claims 50 hours, but bright more like 3-5 hours. your mileage may very. It's pretty bright, close to 25 lumens. Why do you need that bright of a light for caving?

You may also want to look at a Yukon XL headlamp. both are luxeons.

A modded maglite with an R2H BB500 with 2x D nimh cells will drive it 5+ hours on bright. easily putting out 25+ lumens for 5+ hours.

Get ahold of bentheadTX to get help in setting up.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Kl3 on a 3 cell body goes a little over 7 hours at around 25 lumens, not AA batteries but meets your other criteria.
A Kl1 on 3 cells would work too and be a bit smaller.
An arc LS with 2xAA battery pack would give you about 5 hours of light with 2xAA lithiums but only 1.5 hours of regulated output with alkalines.
The Uk 4xAA eled would be great if it's bright enough for you. I'd be surprised if it's much over 10 lumens.

Another possiblity is using multiple lights. A Tec40 should be around 25 lumens for 2-4 hours. Cheap enough to get a couple and just switch em when the battery juice is up.
I think it's gonna be tough to get 25+ lumens from a couple AA's for 5 hours. Assuming you don't want more then 4 or so AA batteries strapped to your head.

Streamlight 3AA might work. Not regulated so it would dim constantly, not sure how bright it is after 5 hours.

I think Black diamond has some regulated incandescant headlamps, maybe one of them would meet your requirements. click

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens used to sell the Elektrostar which is a 1W headlamp running 4AAs. I believe that it runs about 8-10 hrs (DD), according to Wayne anwyay. Apart from the Elektrostar, the Anglelux is another long running winner as well with a record 24 hrs!! The 3W version runs about 9hrs +... Else a KL1 running on 3x123 would be around 8 hrs or so IIRC... Sorry I'm not sure how bright these are in terms of lumens, but they are the brighter ones that I can think of that have long runtimes...

Also, if you rock on down to the Nuwai site (www.nuwai.com.tw) and look for the headlamp under the '1Watt' section, they have a new 1Watter running on 2x123s, rated at 8 hrs. Not sure about other details though, but it sure looks good...