Which One ? miniSTAR / NewBeam / 2AA White / MaMax

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

Here is what i want to know ....

I have a "holy" Mini Mag .... I want to modify it to give a better light output. I am looking for a simple Drop In replacement ... With / Without Seperate Optics .... ... It should definately have a more throw....

While browsing.. i have come accross Many .... and got confused.
1) Opalec - NewBeam
1) TerraLUX - MiniSTAR
2) InReTech - 2AA White
3) dat2zip - MadMax

Are there any more ?

Which one can give Best Brightness, Throw, Runtime ? & at what cost ? ....

please suggest some thing ...

I have been through reviews. But would like to know the personal views from u guys.

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Viren,

First off, when you say that you have checked out the reviews, does that include the ones at FlashlightReviews.com?

Because if you haven't checked it out yet, you should. Links to reviews of all the products you named above can be found on the Flashlight Reviews By Manufacturer Page.

Now for my quick and inferior impressions, first if you want more throw than the standard bulb, you must rule out the Opalec NewBeam. It is a great module if you want a soft flood of light for working on things close up and/or a very long running light (8-10 hours of constant output from a set of alkalines).

Of the modules you mention the dat2zip offerings will probably be the brightest with the most throw. If you want to be able to run it for more than 5 minutes at a time, get a MadMax Lite (about 2 hours on alkalines) or a BadBoy 400 (maybe a little over an hour of constant output on alkalines). The more powerful options heat up quickly, such as the MadMax, MadMax+, BadBoy 500, and BadBoy 650. These will be much brighter than the Opalec (and the standard lamp). The MadMax Lite is probably better at drawing every last bit of juice from alkalines while the BadBoy will work better with NiMH rechargeables.

Hope this helps,
Pat

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: Which One ? miniSTAR / NewBeam / 2AA White / M

The MiniStar is generally well-regarded. It comes with its own reflector, and doesn't void the mag's warranty.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

My vote goes to a MadMax or BadBoy.

I have given about 30 of these to family members and they all like them. I don't worry about heat and we use them as conditions require. Most of these are MadMax Plus and they use alkaline batteries. I have some BB750 Lux3 "T"s that I run with NiMH batteries.

The NewBeam isn't bright like a Sandwich, but it's great if you want a light with a long runtime.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have checked the FlashlightReviews.com .... and then only got confused.......

Mag's Warranty should not get void.... and i guess.. using ANY of the dat2zip's mod's ... it will happen ....

so my choice is now just for 3 now....

If i want to have a good small distance working .... and LONG battery life... i will be choosing for Opalec - NewBeam ...

And for Long Throws .... TerraLUX - MiniSTAR .... and using any of above 2 wont compromise on Warranty .....

no one has said any thing on InReTech - 2AA White ..... Any one using it ? ....

-ViReN

greenLED

Flashaholic

Just so you get more confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, here's Lambda's SMD. I haven't seen one or heard from people using it yet.

The MiniSTAR simply drops in just like a regular mini-Mag bulb and uses a modified reflector (cut down) to maintain the same on/off and "focus" function. The one I have is a side emmiter. It's bright enough for a lot of things. I like the price and the concept of it being a "bulb replacement" althought the beam does get some rings when you turn the bezel. I have one of the older ones, I heard the company now makes their own reflectors (mine came with a cut-down mini-Mag reflector).

Most of Wayne's sammies are *much* brighter than the MiniSTAR. To install a sammie you have to take out the mini-Mag's switch assembly (this is what voids the warranty). The nice thing about the sammies is that they come in different "flavors" so you can choose output and battery life. You can also buy the parts and build them yourself (lots of countless fun hours of burned fingertips and short-circuits; I had a blast!). If you build them yourself they're a tad more expensive than the MiniSTAR. Buy them pre-made and you'll be dishing out $50 or so (no complaints, they're worth it). After trying the sammies I wouldn't go back to anything else. ... well, maybe I'd buy a couple of MiniSTARS as gifts or something.

Have fun!

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Lambda SMD in a Min*mag. It works really well and is bright but I just can't get used to the bluish tint of the beam. I prefer Wayne's creations, the Madmax and Badboy.

ViReN, if you like brightness here are the numbers I get out of my lumen box:

SMD- 21.60 lumens
Streamlight Jr Luxeon- 20.17 lumens
Madmax Lite- 24.53 lumens
Badboy 400- 28.48 lumens

I do have a Badboy 650 but it is in a 'trasher' 2D light so I haven't done a lumen test on it.

Hmmm? I need to do a run-time on the SMD. You reminded me of that when you brought up the subject of the SMD. Thanks greenled.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Terralux is definitely not a throw light. It's even more of a flood than the KL1.

IMHO the focus feature isn't that big a help, you just need to turn it very slightly to get the light on and to its optimal focus. Anything more than that is just defocusing the light. The side emitter Luxeon doesn't really help either.

What the Terralux is good for is candle mode, because the side emitter does what its name implies - most of the light is coming out of the side. That, and its compromise of runtime vs brightness. The sandwich is the brightness king far and away. The Opalec is the runtime champion. The Terralux is somewhere in the middle. I suspect that the regulated circuit is feeding (a wild guess) 200mA to the Luxeon. It drains 300mA from the batteries.

Now, as for the larger Mags with their deep reflectors.....THOSE are throwers all right!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello All,

Thanks Every One for your valuable suggestions. I will be waiting for a few more days ... to see.. if there are any more kits available.

Best Regards,
ViReN

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

InReTECH has a new white LED adapter for the Mini-Mag - the "Enhanced White".
It is significantly whiter and brighter than their original white LED adapter for the Mini-Mag.
My web page about it is right here if you're interested.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi The LED Museum (Craig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif),

Great Review..... Thanks a Lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Simply Greattttttttt

I would surely depend upon your suggestions.....

Given 3 Alternatives..... What would you choose and why ?

1) TerraLUX - MiniSTAR
2) Opalec - NewBeam
3) InReTech - 2AA White (The New one)... that you had just mentioned ....

What do you think is best ? Should i go in for InReTech ?....

I wont be considering dat2zip's simply because it would involve change in switching mechanism. Those lights may be superior in brightness. but since i am a newbie.. i would like to start of with some thing as simple as a drop-in replacement. later on ... i will try out those kits for sure.

Best Regards,
Thanks

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViReN, don't discout Wayne's sandwiches, the Badboy and Madmax, just yet. The are easier to put in than you think. If you've never done one before it takes 5 minutes and 4 of those minutes are reading the instructions. And the switch is reversible; if you don't like the mod then you can put the Min*mag back to original. No one has ever put the Min*mag back to original that I know of.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd convert it back to stock - but only for the purposes of showing someone how WIMPY the stock light is compared to the upgraded light. Nothing gets the attention of the uninitiated like showing them "This is your normal light. This is a flashaholic light."

But then again I just cooked my last MM bulb by feeding it 5.2V (it's rated for nominal 3V) so no go on that...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, Changing switching mechanism is not a difficult task ?

Can any one have beamshots for Sandwitches ? ....

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Min*mag is not even a switching mechanism. It is a two piece plastic plate sandwiched on a hole of the Gaglite. You pry off the top plastic plate and the bottom plastic plate falls out of the battery tube. It is just as easy to put back together too.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haveblue, Great.... Actually.. I never played with it ever.... so was very uncerten about the things....

Best Regards,
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, There is a New Player in the market.... umm no.. Old Wine in New Bottle...(with some soda added) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... with 4, 3mm LED's ... TerraLUX MiniSTAR1 TLE-4 Minimag replacement LED module...

What are the chances that different manufacturers & modders come out with still better output ? ....

It should not be a compromise in Brightness + Throw AND Battery Life ....
It should have ATLEAST 2-4 Hours of MAXIMUM Brightness (if it uses Luxeon 1 Watt)

There is also a chance to fit up to 7 - 5 mm Led's ofcourse without a reflector in to the Bezel.... umm ..

"Business Head" (as said by Craig)) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-ViReN

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally,

I like Wayne Y's sanwiches because they are very bright, but still have a reasonable runtime.

I also have a Terralux Ministar, and the beam quality is poor. It is green and dim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But it is less expensive than a sandwich from Wayne.

javafool

Enlightened

If you can get Lambda to make some more Complete SMD+ conversion Kits, $25, they will just about knock your socks off. Very impressive conversion for the Mini-Mag AA.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am thinking of going in for Sandwitches... now i am in dilema... which one....

There is BB500 & MMPlus .... both of these give a runtime of 90 minutes.. which suites my requirement....

How does it compare with Lambda's kits ...

out of these.. which one is better and which one will have a longer throw ?

I have never been in such a fix... when so many products / modd's are available... and i have to choose the only one... the BEST one... to suite my requirements....

-ViReN