Windows XP - Pro Question

turbodog

Flashaholic
Not sure. Run ad-aware.com and that'll take a lot of them out. If you do NOT have a firewall (and not counting win xp default one I think), look for how to turn off messanger service.

If you still have problems, post the contents of your startup file from running msconfig.

Beware, some software (especially free) brings with it popup ads.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prefetch is a directory that contains items that XP thinks it will use again to make them open faster. You can delete anything in there you don't use on a regular basis- it won't delete the actual program from the drive, just the prefetch data.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Not sure. Run ad-aware.com and that'll take a lot of them out. If you do NOT have a firewall (and not counting win xp default one I think), look for how to turn off messanger service.

If you still have problems, post the contents of your startup file from running msconfig.

Beware, some software (especially free) brings with it popup ads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the program anywhere on the system. Can you give me a hint as to where it's located?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray, On the link above it shows you how to run msconfig to check what is running at startup.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,
An easy way to kill off the Messenger Service is to download and run this small program called ShootTheMessenger (click on this link for information about it and on this link to download it). Windows Messenger Service is different from the Instant Messaging programs like MSN Messenger and is often used to sneak pop-ups on to your PC. It is a very good idea to turn it off.

You can download Ad-Aware from the LavaSoft Downloads Page or go directly to the Download.com Ad-Aware Page. It would probably be a good idea to download the free version of Ad-Aware 6, install it, and then run it. Follow its suggestions and it should clean up your PC quite a bit.

Finally if you are using Internet Explorer for your browser, download the Google Toolbar. When you install it, choose the option to have it block pop-ups.

These should eliminate most of the pop-ups you are seeing and they are all free.

Pat

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. I got Ad-Aware installed and ran it. Two minutes later, the same bullshit. I just installed STM and ran that to disable the Messenger Service. Let's see how that does.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.

Hmmm.... I am running XP Pro too, and do not have a "Windows" folder. I do have a "WINNT" folder, which seems to be the same thing. I always thought this was just an XP Pro thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to Start > All Prog's > Administrative Tools > Services

You will be able to find "messenger". if you double-click on it, you will be able to see if there is anything on your machine that depends on it to run. If not, you can change the startup type to "disabled". That will keep it from running between startups. The only thing is, if you have a prog or app that depends on it, it either won't start or won't run.

Popups are one of the most annoying things. The google toolbar collects info on your browsing habits, but Ad-Aware has one that is pretty effective as well and will also protect you from browser takeovers. You have to pay for the upgrade, but at least they aren't into your biz with data mining software.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
The google toolbar collects info on your browsing habits, but Ad-Aware has one that is pretty effective as well and will also protect you from browser takeovers. You have to pay for the upgrade, but at least they aren't into your biz with data mining software.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, there is the option to disable that 'feature' of the Google Toolbar when you install it. Personally, I choose to disable it whenever I install it.

From www.pricelessware.org , " NOTE: The Page Rank feature of the Toolbar necessitates a connection to Google. Simply install without the Advanced Features to prevent information on which sites you visit to be sent back to Google. This feature can be enabled or disabled from the drop menu."

I use the Proxomitron for myself for pop-up blocking (and more) but it does require some configuring/tinkering. Because of this, I usually just recommend the Google Toolbar to other people. It works well, requires no real configuration, updates itself automatically, and no longer has to 'report back' to Google.
Pat