Pelican M6 LED, how do you guys like it?

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am looking to get Pelican M6 LED light. Is this a good light that worth the $55? I just cannot find too many thread talked about it. Any onwer here? Please comment on how you like the PM6 LED? Thanks!

eel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have an evaluation of this flashlight right here if you're interested.
I gave it a 4 1/2 star rating (out of a possible 5 stars), so it really isn't that bad of a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Eelnoraa,

Since you are a member of CPF, you can purchase the Pelican M6 LED from Kevin at The Battery Station for only $45.00 and pick up a mess of CR123As while you're at it for only a buck a piece.

The Battery Station's CPF Members Discount Page

I have numerous high performance LED flashlights and I still think the Pelican M6 LED is an excellent light. It uses the outstanding Pelican reflector, which has been used in many custom flashlights especially the terrific McLux PR and PR-T series. The "PR" stands for Pelican Reflector.

I have purchased 4 of the PM-6 LEDs, all of them have been absconded with by friends and family and I intend to get another one to somehow hold onto for myself.

Excellent, white, PR beamspot with good output/runtime off the two 123As.
Britt

Zephyr

Enlightened
I totally love mine! I have a McModule with DB 700 and R2H high dome emitter on it and the Pelican M6 is just as bright as my McModule. And just to think that my McModule is one of the brightest flashlights I have, the Pelican M6 LED is a great bargain!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love all of mine. They have the best beam quality I have ever ran into (equal to Surefire incadescents in terms of beam smoothness but WHITER due to being an LED). The reflector must be a perfect match for the LED, because none of my M6 LEDs have any artifacts. The build quality is good, and they look nice (visually appealing design). Size to brightness ratio is goood, they are smaller in length than a Minimag yet have about 5 times the overall lumens of a Minimag. Throw is good, and yet there is a respectable amount of sidespill.

Overall, an excellent flashlight in the price range.

There are a couple areas I think the PM6 LED could improve though:

1. Type 3 HA anodizing
2. Regulation
3. 3-watt LED (instead of 1-watt LED)--APPARENTLY, PELICAN IS COMING OUT WITH A 3-WATT VERSION SOON
4. More options/accessories (2AA, 2C, and 2D cell battery packs), switch upgrades.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Absolutely love mine!! Perfect beam. Great quality at a reasonable price. While you're at it, buy two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
eelnoraa said:
Brightness wise, how does it compare to SF KL3 and KL4?

eel

[/ QUOTE ]

You can compare the relation of the Pelican M6 LED with a host of popular lights at Quickbeam's excellent

Overall Output and Throw Chart

The Surefire KL4 will generally have almost 3 times the rating for "Overall Output" whereas about half the amount of the PM6 LED's "throw" rating.

The stock Surefire KL3 rates half as much for "Throw" and about the same for "Overall Output".

Many prefer the Pelican Reflector beamspot characteristics to the KL3's optic's beamspot.

If you choose, you can upgrade the Pelican M6 LED with goodies from Dat2zip's The Sandwich Shoppe (McModule Page)

I like the Pelican M6 LED alot better than the stock SF KL3. But, have sent a couple of KL3s to CPF's "Chop" for modification with reflectors and Luxeon IIIs and they are a whole different animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Bright, smooth beam with good throw, but limited side spill. Too bright for close up work. I prefer more of a flood light like the KL1 or X5T.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ChopperCFI said:
Bright, smooth beam with good throw, but limited side spill. Too bright for close up work. I prefer more of a flood light like the KL1 or X5T.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense meant, but the KL1 and x5t are in a totally different usage class. The
PM6 is bright with a lot of throw. The KL1 and x5t are much dimmer lights. The X5T is purely flood with almost no throw.

For close up work I prefer something that puts out 5 to 10 lumens, like the Dorcy AA lights or an ARC LSH with two stage switch.

Daniel

TXCaver

Newly Enlightened
Like everyone says, it's all in what you want to do with the light. I love my Pelican M6 LED for general walking around. Lots of light to see by and enough throw to ID stuff at a fair distance. It's a bit much for up close though. When the Thunderstorm took out my electricity a few nights ago, I grabbed my X5T for a reading light.

All in all I really like both my Pelican M6 LED and M6 incandescent. Bright, well made, good beams with few artifacts, lots of value for the $$. (IMHO)

Tom

buba

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Love all of mine. They have the best beam quality I have ever ran into (equal to Surefire incadescents in terms of beam smoothness but WHITER due to being an LED). The reflector must be a perfect match for the LED, because none of my M6 LEDs have any artifacts. The build quality is good, and they look nice (visually appealing design). Size to brightness ratio is goood, they are smaller in length than a Minimag yet have about 5 times the overall lumens of a Minimag. Throw is good, and yet there is a respectable amount of sidespill.

1. Type 3 HA anodizing
2. Regulation
3. 3-watt LED (instead of 1-watt LED)--APPARENTLY, PELICAN IS COMING OUT WITH A 3-WATT VERSION SOON
4. More options/accessories (2AA, 2C, and 2D cell battery packs), switch upgrades.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-Watt version soon! That would be approaching the output of the xenon version, interesting. How soon is soon?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
buba said:
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

1. Type 3 HA anodizing
2. Regulation

[/ QUOTE ]

3-Watt version soon! That would be approaching the output of the xenon version, interesting. How soon is soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how soon "soon" is, but there was a thread on the upcoming 3-watt version a while back. I'll look for the thread and post here. I'm GUESSING it will be available for sale within 1 year...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=564025&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

By the way, anyone notice that the factory holster for the Pelican M6 LED seems to be a dust magnet. I clean the lens and holster my PM6 LED, and when I take it out of the holster the lens is covered with dust. Any fix for this? My other holstered flashlights don't collect dust this quickly.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Daniel,
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to imply that they were in the same class. It was a poor attempt at pointing out the spot vs. flood difference. Sadly, I am not aware of a good 1W flood light that is as bright as the PM6.