Holster for Inova X-5?

rodmeister

Enlightened
Fry's Electronics had Inova X-5's two weeks ago, and I bought it despite my objections of using using pricey CR123 batteries. It's become my favorite flashlight (own Maglites, Expedition 19, Lightwave 2000, PAL, Expedition 7, photon II, and ARC AAA)despite the batteries because of the winning combination of compact size, brightness, and cool design.

I originally tried using a lanyard but couldn't get a steel D-ring into the hole for attachment to my company, break-away, safety lanyard.

Going to a holster, the X-5 was too large for the Maglite AA cordura holster. The leather Maglite AA holster, also too tight, was wetted inside with water and I jammed my plastic Lightwave 2000 into it overnight. The Inova slips in, reaching 4/5's of the holster length, until it strikes the inside of the metal fastener. It's a bit top-heavy, but secure, and leaves a good part of the flashlight out for an easy draw.

For a better balance look, I sawed off 3/4 inches off the bottom of the holster, and darkened the leather cut with a black marker.

Anybody have a better idea? Will a Surefire holster work?

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
TAD (triple aught design) sells a nice holster (they recently began marketing it as an Inova holster (though it was originally designed for folding knives). This is the best holster I have seen yet.

Redball

Newly Enlightened
rodmeister

Try the Nite-Ize Grip-N-Clip for the AA Mini-Mag. The neoprene will cover about 90% of the light and because it's a snug fit it will not fall out. You can slide it on to a belt and it also has a clip so you can attach it to a lanyard.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick:
rodmeister

Try the Nite-Ize Grip-N-Clip for the AA Mini-Mag. The neoprene will cover about 90% of the light and because it's a snug fit it will not fall out. You can slide it on to a belt and it also has a clip so you can attach it to a lanyard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who sells these? Anywere online, maybe with pictures?

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Sean,

I got mine from REI for $5.00. The Inova X5 is my EDC so I got to try it out before buying it. Perfect fit.

Rick

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Ops, Forgot...

Go to www.rei.com and do a search for Nite Ize. FYI, I also have the Nite Ize Pock-Its holster. This compact case can carry an E2, X5, Arc AAA and a Benchmade knife.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I use a no-name Cordura knife sheath I picked up at a gun show for $5. The Velcro flap keeps it secure.

Normark

Newly Enlightened
Hey Rod....

Sit tight...

Looking into it..
smile.gif

Trying to score an X5...

ttyle

Eric...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My (early) X5's fit perfectly into the "cheesy" flapless Mini-Mag holster. So that's what I use.

Spudman

Enlightened
I would also recommend the countycomm holster. Only five bucks and horizontal carry option. I bought it and ended up using it for my surefire E2e.
G.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine actually came with its own holster! I got it from http://pocketlights.com recently and the holster was part of the original, unopened Inova packaging. Surely I can`t be the only one?
Or was this the older non-tailcap version? Maybe that one doesn`t come with one, but I havn`t had one of them so I`m not sure.

OK so it`s not the greatest holster in the world but it`s OK. I`ve temporarily misplaced it, or I`d take a photo or two. I`ll see if it turns up later on....

grin.gif