Cree Launches XLamp(TM) LED Product Line

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Company Enters High-Power Packaged LED Arena

DURHAM, N.C., July 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE) today announced that its 7090 series XLamp(TM), a solid-state light emitting diode (LED) product, is now available in production quantities. This is the first high-powered packaged LED product that Cree has released as part of the lighting product strategy the company announced last fall. The XLamp(TM) is an innovative, high power, solid state LED that is designed to provide an alternative solution to the incandescent bulb and other conventional light sources in architectural lighting and general illumination applications.
The 7090 series XLamp(TM) product utilizes a high-power surface mount package which is designed to operate at 1 Watt with a typical operating current of 350 mA and a footprint of 7 mm x 9 mm. The 7090 series is available in blue, green, and white versions based on Cree's XB-900 chips as the light engine...."

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tested three of these (a red, a blue, and a white) earlier this month as part of a secret project, and yes, they're comparable with or even just a little bit better than 1.2W Luxeon Star /C (without optic) LEDs. That much I can say; I can't spill any more beans right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
This sounds interesting and promising - looking forward to additional news/infos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
waiting.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Is the heatsink beneath -asuming it is one - removeable like these from other brands?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There is a metal plate under the LED that cannot be removed.
This is an SMD component, so it does not include significant heatsinking of its own; the end-user must provide that.

Here's a photograph of one next to a standard 5mm round LED:

{Photograph removed by request of LED's provider}

K-T

*Moderator*
Ahh, I understand. So this is similar to a Luxeon emitter.

Thanks.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Museum .... Have you done full fledged review ?
I am eager to read it.... I am hooked to your site since past 11 Months now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please let us know when your review page is up there....

THanks & Regards,
ViReN

chanik

Newly Enlightened
Crucially, it can be soldered to so one doesn't have to resort to a separate manufacturing step to epoxy the heatsink to some heat spreader

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
Led Museum .... Have you done full fledged review ?
I am eager to read it.... I am hooked to your site since past 11 Months now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please let us know when your review page is up there....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a full evaluation page up (for the white, blue, and red models), but since it's a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif secret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif project, I cannot yet publish it or tell anybody the URL. As soon as I get the OK, I'll link it to my website and provide a link to it here.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the red? Is it HeNe, or more true cherry red? Does it have to be isolated like luxeons red/amber? Or are these fully isolated? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's what I'd call "HeNe Laser Red"; having a dominant wavelength (where you would point to on a color chart) of 626nm.
I don't know if the heatsink plate on the bottom is isolated or not. I'll have to check that.

(Edit 12:37pm PDT)
Nope, the metal plate on the bottom of the LED is not isolated. It is connected to the cathode (-) of the LED.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I tested three of these (a red, a blue, and a white) earlier this month as part of a secret project, and yes, they're comparable with or even just a little bit better than 1.2W Luxeon Star /C (without optic) LEDs. That much I can say; I can't spill any more beans right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the press release does not give very much in the way of vital statistics. What I want to know is this the same tech they have been promising to have well over 60lumens/watt in white??? If it was, it should be well in excess of twice as bright as a LS, more or less equivalent to the 1amp LSIII, but running at only 350ma current draw, correct?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
Is the beam pattern closer to a luxeon or a 5mm LED (focused)?

[/ QUOTE ]
The beam is unfocused, like a Luxeon Star /C (without optics). I believe the viewing angle is 100°.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
The_LED_Museum: "As soon as I get the OK, I'll link it to my website and provide a link to it here."

Any estimates of when you'll be getting the OK?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, no idea.
But I'll put a bug in my contact's ear and see if he gives me the green (or blue-green) light.

(Edit, a few moments later)
Bug placed. All I can do now is patiently wait for a reply.