NEW KL1 from SUREFIRE

simbad

Enlightened
I don't know why this conversion head with a 1W Luxeon Led only gives 15 lumens for 1,5 hours and any other light makes 25 lumens minimum for 2 hours (Arc LS, Longbow Micra), I have both of them and the difference against my KL1 is quite noticeable also in the tint color.
When I put my LS and the KL1 together against a white wall the LS looks like a 5W Luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
simbad,

How are you measuring and confirming the lumens? Unless the KL1 driver has changed, it drives the Luxeon at a very conservative 390 mA and since it is a buck/boost converter, it is likely noticibly less efficient than a strictly boost circuit. How do your Arc LS and Micra perform on 9 volts in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sorry for being a bit snide here but apples *do* taste different than oranges and stated or "claimed" luminous output is often different than measured output.

simbad

Enlightened
Don, I understand what you say and I don't have any device to mesure the light intensity, Im just thinking wich light is more efficient, at the end of the day, the last one I get is the KL1.I think actually this converter,even with a new bezel design is outdated.
Just my 2 centimos.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Less people on the list for one of these then! Good Good!
Can't imagine why you'd want one of these but if you do, the line starts behind me.

K-T

*Moderator*
First time that Al is wrong - line starts behind me who is standing behind Al. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my KL1 and I am thinking of getting another KL1 so I can have one on my E2e and the other permanently on my E1e to run all the batteries dry. The KL1 I have is a high dome and is pretty white. I was just thinking about another purchase until I see the new design. If it is using the much talk about X200 optic I am very much game for it.

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
surefire customer service says that the new KL1 use 3 Watt LED but driven with the same mA as the old 1 watt led.

iddibhai

Enlightened
if that is true, one, it would be amazing, second, wouldn't underdriving the 3w (which are specced at 700ish and 1a) cause them to turn green? unless they pick the blue end of things, and underdrive to get a neutral white.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two Lux3 emmiters don't turn green when underdriven. (I use low/high switches). They do look a tiny bit more yellowish though...

K-T

*Moderator*
Someone explained to me that the quality of production on the LuxIII (e.g. phosphoric coating) was increased compared to the Lux1W versions, thus it is possible to get 'better' tints.

iddibhai

Enlightened
SF should then use the same reflector as in the L4/KL4 in the KL1, to cut inventory and costs; heck, share the same head, dome lens, bezel, reflector, just change the emitter and circuit, why dont they?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok can someone tell me why this online store web page says -
Fits E1/E1E and E2/E2E Models
E1/E1e Runtime: 16 lumens max output for 1.5 hours, followed by 8.5 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimal output E2/E2e Runtime: 17 lumens max output for 4.0 hours, followed by 11 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimal output.

And this one says -
CONVERTS EITHER E1E OR E2E SERIES LIGHT
19 LUMENS OF LIGHT OUTPUT
APPROXIMATE USABLE LIGHT RUNTIME:
E1E: 1.5 HOURS
E2E: 4 HOURS

But the Surefire one says -

Fits all Executive Series flashlights:
E1/E1E Output/Runtime - Max 15 lumens with slight diminishment for 1.5 hours, then .5 hours diminishing moderate light, then 3 hours diminishing minimal light.
E2/E2E Output/Runtime: Max 15 lumens diminishing to moderate light for 4 hours, then moderate light diminishing to minimal for 11 hours, then 50 hours minimal output.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif