Holster for Strion - LE use

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a ballistic nylon (with molded foam core) or kydex holster for a Strion to fit on a 2.25" duty belt. Must have open top - no flap. Streamlight advised me that the body of the Strion is the same diameter as the Scorpion. I purchased a Safariland 306 holster sized for the Scorpion, but the light falls right out. Otherwise, this would be the perfect holster.

If anyone has any ideas of an easy, durable fix to tighten the fit of the 306 (while still allowing smooth, quick access), I'm all ears.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think a nylon holster is available for a Strion, yet...

I use a Stallion Leather open top for duty use...

I'll look for a nylon Strion holdter, and if I find one, I'll post the link. **EDIT** Couldn't find anything...sorry...

--dan

Techmedic

Enlightened
I don't think even Uncle Mikes makes one specifically for the strion yet. They do make one for the Sure Fire 6P that has a flap (which I know you don't want) so you could try that one. I think the number is 8818-1.
The flap in the 8818-1 is not bad at all, and offers protection, and secures it from falling out.
As a last resort, go to a leatherworking shop, (e.g. tack shop that makes horse saddles, etc) and have them custom make one for you.
Do let us know what you decide!

chrisse242

Enlightened
Since you're already considering Kydex, why don't you make one yourself? It's easy to work with kydex as long as you have a heatgun and some time. Everything else that's needed can be purchased at texaknife.com and there are several tutorials on the web.
I would offer to make one for you but I don't have a strion and I guess you will not want to send your Strion to germany. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway, if you decide to try it yourself, just ask me and I will do what's possible to help you.
We had a small get-together at the beginning of July and one of the attending Leo's made a multi-holster for his L4, Leatherman Wave, and extra Batteries. It took some hours but from what he told me it works perfectly. It uses a big teklok to attach it to the duty belt.
fourth row of pictures, the last three pics.

Again, feel free to ask me for assistance,

Chrisse

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's several options for custom kydex; Blade Tech (if they still do it, not sure) OnScene tactical, etc.

--dan

mikeb9550

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about getting a don hume mag/holster combo. Comp-Tac also can make one in kydex if you contact them.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to recommend the holster for the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. It fits the Strion nicely, but when I measured it, it doesn't appear to work with a 2.5" belt. Almost, but not quite. My EDC is a Strion, and thats what it rides in.

best regards

haley1

Enlightened
Sorry, I re-read your post, you wanted nylon. Webbing is available from backpacking shops, nylon fabric from fabric stores as well as foam. It won't be specifically molded but any alterations shop can sew one up that will work well. Just give them the dementions of the light.

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. I hope I don't disappoint anyone, but after spending some time manipulating the Strion I've decided I'll never be fully comfortable with it. The main issue is the tail switch: I guess I was expecting a smaller version of the switch on the Stinger XT, which I like a lot. Now that I've got my mind set on a smaller carry light than my current Stinger XT, I've decided to go with a SF Z2. I've already ordered one with 2 V70 holsters (have 2 duty belts-nylon and leather) and other accessories. The Li-Ion battery of the Strion is an awesome feature, but the package it's in just doesn't cut it for me.

As I'm always looking for better solutions for my duty gear, I will be investigating a couple of the companies mentioned here to fill potential future needs. Thanks again.