Dorcy AA and Leaky Batteries

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It is not unusual for me to completely run down AAA batts in my Sonic or Dorcy AAA. Never had a problem. I decided to use the Dorcy AA for the same purpose and the last two batteries have leaked slightly. These batts were already quite old and weak. Is there something about the current draw or having three LEDs that would make the Dorcy AA more prone to causing oozing battery syndrome?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I personally think (no technical backup for this opinion) that cells that have been completely drained are much more likely to leak than cells with a partial charge. (Perhaps there's extremely little metal internally on the cathode?? It's probably been completely consumed by the eletrolytic process). Unlike many other lights, the Dorcy seems to really exhaust its cells.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
You know I ran 4AAs' in my SL4AA7LED and they were about .60 volts without any ill effects. I haven't had any problems with batteries leaking and low voltage. I hope this kinda answers your question. Maybe it was just a fluke.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries will leak after they are used a bit and then stored. So both "old and weak" are the cuplrits. If a battery is used up and then left to sit, it will be prone to leak... If you used a weak battery that was draiend recently I doubt it would have leaked.

Old is I guess the main cuplrit here.