Arc AAA regular or premium?

DoubtingBeliever

Newly Enlightened
After much deliberation between the Peak Solutions and the Arc AAA lights, I have settled on the Arc. Only one question left to answer -- Do I need to spend the extra $10.00 for the premium version. This light is for EDC and my needs are pretty simple. I just need something to get me around in dark places when I don't have a bigger light with me. I don't do technical work in enclosed spaces or anything like that (I'm an accountant for cryin out loud). I'm currently carrying a Dorcy AAA and the light quality seems to be sufficient for my needs. Its not a bad light. I just want something with a smaller profile and almost everyone on this forum seems to rave about the Arc. I'm guessing the standard model will be fine, but would like to hear from those who have experience in these matters. So do I spend the extra $10 or not?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the little I know, the prem is no brighter, it's just whiter. I have a standard, and I love it to bits. It gets used every single day. It is a bit blue in the middle of the beam, but I don't care at all.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the std.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the std. also. I have 2 standards and a premium, and the standards are actually a bit brighter than the premium,. The premium is a little whiter/browner than the standards, which tend to run on the blue side.

cy

Flashaholic
The standard or Premium question is a state of mind. Functionally they both are premium. The first and still the best AAA led flashlight.

The tint is the only difference. Is it worth an extra $10? Arc AAA is among the cheapest light a flasholic will buy. you will forget the $10, long before you forget it's not a premium.

Since I'm a premium kind of guy, I always got to have the premium version. Your mileage may veri..

mpetty

Newly Enlightened
Another vote here for the standard. My needs for a small light like this are also simple. I have one with a glow ring attached so I can find it in the dark, to make a trip to the kitchen or bathroom without tripping over everything in between. The standard performs very well for me.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

X33

Enlightened
I bought both to see what the difference is and the standard has a more blueish color compared to the premium. Also the beam on the standard is a little bit off centre but the head on the premium is harder to turn, the standard is smoother. I'd recommend the standard also.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Peak Solutions 3LED 1AAA compare in brightness to the Arc? I have the Arc but often find myself needing a little more light, hence I've started carrying a Dorcy but would rather have the smaller profile of the Peak.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Peak 1xAAA 3xLED has an output of 29,600mcd, and the Arc-AAA standard has an output of approximately 20,000mcd.
The Peak this value was measured from is the standard power output version, not the high output version.

So the Peak is brighter, but not a whole lot brighter.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the Peak, I have both a standard 3 LED Peak head in an Arc body and a High Power 3 LED in the stock Peak body. I like the High Power a lot- the color is about the same as my Arc Premium, but quite a bit brighter and has more throw. The standard is also brighter than the Arcs, but the Peak is a much tighter beam compared to the Arc, which is more of a flood with a nice hotspot. The peak AAA lights are about 1/2" longer than the Arc AAA's if that makes a difference to you, and Quality is great on both brands. It just depends on what you're looking for. I recommend you get them all.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers about Peak. Think I'll pickup the high power version.

Aloft

Enlightened
Guess my experience is a bit different. . . I've got one standard, and several premiums, and I thought the premium was noticeably brighter than the standard. I guess it could be a color issue, though. . . I just tried them both out and the standard is noticeably bluer.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the premium on my keychain, had a standard and gave it away as a retirement present (I will be remembered for decades)
The standard is perfect for general use, low power every day carry. The reason I went for the premium is the tint and beam quality. The premium had a whiter beam and less rings/splotches increasing beam quality. I use my AAA-P for reading on occasion and find the premium easier on the eyes.
I find the Arc AA superior to the AAA as far as beam quality goes. The much larger reflector "mixes" the beam better so it is my main lanyard light for reading/walking around at night. Too large for the keychain, however.
The short answer is the premium if you use it for reading/critical visual accuity and standard for everything else.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I assume the Dorcy you're carrying is the AAA model. Do you find it significantly brighter than the Arc?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, the Dorcy is brighter. Subject has come up a few times and the general concensus was that the Dorcy isn't as well made (duh) but does outshine the Arc.