Just broke another MN10 lamp from my M3

supes

Enlightened
My first post and i broke my M3 lamp again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Being lurking for about a month now, this site rocks!
I tucked my m3 bezel up half way in the tool strap on my 511 pants and when I went into the car, the M3 fell out from less then 3 ft. and it hit the cement floor. When I picked it up and looked inside the bezel, the glass part was broken off, all I could see was the filament and that thing was broken into 2 pieces. I have an extra MN11 but I'm tired of breaking bulbs dropping then less then 3ft.
This almost makes me want to get a KL6 LED head. But i really like the new bezel look of the M3, so i guess it's time to get another MN10 lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Plus i really like 125 and 225 lumens. Can anyone presuade me into getting a KL6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ? The benefits and cons?

BTW, this site rocks! Im waiting for my E2e to come in and i going to get a KL4 for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Bad news, can I ask how the M3 landed each time? Was it straight down flat on its bezel, or on the side?

Morgan, you can claim those bulbs of yours on Surefire Warranty, as they were defective (of course unless you or the postal service dropped the bulbs before you installed them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

I've never dropped my M3, but with these incidents i'll try and be extra careful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like surfire needs to re design their bulbs
I would hate to have one of their lights on a gun and trust it with my life.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incands are nice and bright, but they are delicate. The KL6 would be tempting, but I usually need throw when I grab my M3. I use a modified KL2 on my M3. It has a downboy 1000, TWOK emitter and Carley reflector in it. It's a throwing beast with good sidespill and nothing breaks when I drop it.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Chop, do you maybe have a link or other details for a n00b (like me) to go by as to what is involved in the KL2 upgrade you did? Also, some idea of runtime? The stock KL2 seems pretty anemic compared to current LED heads...thanks!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
nobody,

I did the mod myself. I used a Downboy circuit and Carley 1.3" reflector to do the mod, but there are many ways to skin a cat. You could probably get a PR or IMS reflector to work as well, although these won't have quite the throw of the Carley reflector.

If you are half way handy with tools and have toys with electronics, doing the mod isn't all that hard. The KL2 is really mod friendly. To keep it simple, I'd go with a PR, and a 3W luxeon. I mounted the emitter to an ecan, which just happens to perfectly fit the post hole in the KL2. I potted the circuit inside the post under the ecan. All else was a matter of fitting.

As for runtime, I don't know. I know I took it crabbing and had it on for about 1.5 hours and it didn't go out on me. I run mine on Pila rechargables, so I don't pay much attention to runtime.

If you find your KL2 to be useless, I'd open it up and see what I could fit in there. You may be able to go with multiple emitters and small reflectors. I just verified that three of the older SO17XA reflectors will fit into the KL2.

Hey, I might be modding my KL2 again.

PM me if I can help out.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Cooool...I definitely want to do some mod to this head (not immediately though). I have some basic soldering skills but think I need to brush up on the lingo, parts, who makes what, etc. or I am liable to end up with something that puts out ZERO light...:D Thanks for the info, Tony!

supes

Enlightened
Lightemup,
The first time, it was when I first received my M3 via USPS and it was my 4th Surefire. Man this thing was BEAUITFUL. I toyed with it and then i set it on the couch arm bezel facing down. I come back an hour later about and go to pick it up but I accidentally pushed it off the arm and it feel to the carpet floor from less then 2 ft with it landing side ways. BTW, i talked to Surefire about this 1 time and I just got back a lamp from them SUPERB service.

Here's the second time. It landed bezel down. from less then 3 ft. from my tool strap of my 511. Yes, I know it was very stupid of me but the whole glass part just came off cleanly.
Im afraid the reflector coating had some scratches but I can't really tell. All i got to say is if i had to i would buy another M3 in a heartbeat. I love the thing. I love the new bezel one much better then the old one. I actually waited a couple of months for the new one to come to get a M3.

Stuart@surefire,
I'll give you a ring tomorrow. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be a lucky ******* here. Dropped my M3 too but everything survived. Not even a single scratch. Phew. I would be more careful next time.

Supes, I agree with you. The M3 is a wonderful light and I just love mine. The one I have is with the crenellation on the bezel which I believe is the newest design.

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
the 1st MN10 on my M3 fail (not totally, with a very dim light light a Mag AAA, and the wall of the bulb became foggy)

So I email PK from surefire. and they send me 2 new ones. Took out the new ones and check the filament are ok not broken and bulbs' wall are clear. But the moment I "on" my M3. The same thing happen again on one or the bulbs.
Now I understand why he sent me 2 replacements.

I ask PK why does that happen, I told him that I can't just email him everytime my bulb blow.
I just wanted to know the ans, so that I can tell the seller here and get a replacement immediately

BUT not more reponses from Him, guess he himself do not know how to reply my qns.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lightemup said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Morgan, you can claim those bulbs of yours on Surefire Warranty, as they were defective (of course unless you or the postal service dropped the bulbs before you installed them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Size15's

Flashaholic
I just want to check that you aren't touching the bulbs right?
That's a cause of the bulb exploding. If the filament is breaking rather than the bulb envelop then its likely not due to oils from being touched...

Al

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I agree about the M3, it is worth every cent. And now I might be able to put it on my belt again With Stuart's help with a warranty issue with my V71 holster! I've tried looking at other types of holsters but I'm just used to the bezel down configuration with my V70 and G2z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif hopefully the V71 can do as well with my M3 as my V70 does with my g2z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

It is customer service like this that gives me even greater faith in the Surefire line of products /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif thankyou very much for your assistance Stuart

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
No I did not touch the bulb, I have been holding on to the spring everytime

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I just want to check that you aren't touching the bulbs right?
That's a cause of the bulb exploding. If the filament is breaking rather than the bulb envelop then its likely not due to oils from being touched...

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashdark

Enlightened
Supes,

I know the feeling. I've broken two MN11s before I ever got them into the light. Fumble-fingers on my part. I have never broken them by dropping the light, but I'm sure my time is coming. As to the KL-6: be sure you know what you want before buying. The reason I say this is that the KL-6 is quite a bit less than the MN-11 in throw capability. I don't know how it compares to the MN-10 because I don't use low-powered bulbs in my lights. There also seems to be less side-spill to the KL-6. They have that 5W LED focused down quite a bit to get a decent throw.

In short, I think that the incans will outperform the KL-6 in every catagory. BUT!! The purpose of the KL-6 is to give you a regulated 90 minutes of beautiful blue/white flood in a practical shock-proof head, with a decent core beam and a usable side-spill halo. I would grade this as an excellent shock light. Usable range based on purpose would be about 80 yds with both eyes open and about 40-50 yards with one eye closed. If you were going to mount it on a weapon, it would make an excellent shotgun light or short-range rifle light for defense.

One of the reasons I like the KL-6 is for the versatility that it brings to the M3 series. Between the Turbohead, the regular head, and the KL-6 head, you can configure the light to do just about anything. When you add the Surefire A-19 battery extender with the Turbohead, you now have an M4.

From what I have heard, I would stay away from the KL-2 unless it was modified by a pro to do something useful. I understand that this was Surfire's first foray into LEDs and this un-regulated head will not do much for you. It has pretty well been superceded by the KL-6.

Hope this helps.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Supes:

The L6 is a monster of an LED. It takes a really strong incan to outthrow it. And its beam quality is second to none. This is not a compromise light. The really strong incans that outthrow will probably outthrow the M3, too.

I'm not knocking the M3, but the KL6 gives you better reliability and longer runtime/photon. If nothing else, the KL6 is a great backup to your M3 head; and one that will make the wait for your (many) M3-bulb replacements something to look forward to.

Josey

supes

Enlightened
The lamp i believe that i received from Surefire didn't work after I put it in for the day. I don't know what happened. It was in my camelbak HAWG and i didn't drop it, just tossed it in the car a few times not too roughly. I keep forgetting to call Surefire. Im going to do it in the next week.

About the KL6,
Does the beam have a strong spot like a p60 lamp or something like that? Cause i see there seems to be a good beam spot in the X200 but not in the KL4. Right now im on my
4 lamp.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
supes, the KL6 is much tighter focussed than the KL4. If you are comparing it to the KL4 I can assure you won't be disappointed.

Josey, one thing I don't believe is the KL6 is a very bright light. Having owned a KL5 for use on the M2, the KL6 can't be that much brighter even though the focus is a little bit tighter than the KL5. Visually it looks brighter than any incands because the beam is white. On inspection one tend to realize that the KL6 just can't seem to show as much detail as the MN10 or MN11 in the M3. So actual brightness and visual brightness is two different thing I suppose.