Compact 22 LR autoloader for plinking?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering getting a compact 22LR for informal plinking. I like Stainless steel and polymers.
Also prefer an autoloader. Any suggestions?
(I just browsed the Ruger and Glock websites.)

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Compact rifle or pistol?

Rifle-wise, I love my Ruger 10-22. It was accurate as hell right out of the box and is a ton of fun for plinking. It is available in SS and there's a ton of 3rd party mods for it, including polymer stocks, match barrels, etc.

Pistol-wise, my shooting bud has a bull barrel SS Ruger 22-45 with Hogue "hand-all" slide-on grip. It is also a ton of fun and is also accurate. Only things about the Ruger 22 pistols I dislike are (1) the stock grips suck, & (2) stripping and cleaning is more difficult than it should be.
Personally, I would not bother with those teeny-weeny 22 Berettas and others like that. They just seem too small (in my hands) and the very short sight radius comes with a corresponding lack of accuracy (past 7-10 yards or so).

notos&w

Enlightened
Ruger 22/45 stainless. Got one, like it very much. Had a few problems initially, but Ruger got it straightened out pretty well. An aftermarket extractor (forgot the co. name) is about $10 and well worth it.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For compact autos I like my Walther P-22. It came with two barells and a fake brake to cover the extended barell. My Ruger is nice but not all that compact. My most accurate 22 is an old High Standard Durango(?) 9 shot single action styled double action revolver. Used (beaten up) alloy framed but the best accuracy of any 22 I have had to date.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I love my Ruger MKII.

Stainless, Slab side Bull Barrel, Tasco 30mm Red Dot Sight.

Very fun "plinker".

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, the only pistol that I would recommend that seems to meet all your criteria would be the Walther PPK/S .22LR.

Your local FFL holder can order one for about $995.00 here:

http://www.waltherusa.net/pp.htm

I had a Walther PPK .22LR for many years and gave it to my father in law. It served well.

Britt

HesNot

Enlightened
Compact may be an issue - I prefer the Ruger MkII to the 22/45 personally, but both are not at all compact, particularly if you get the 4-5" barrels (which are more accurate and in my book more fun).

I've not heard a lot of good things about any of the small Beretta and Taurus compact .22 pistols - all suffer from some temperamental reliability issues or at least spotty reliability. My Ruger MkII is rock solid although it is a pain in the neck to clean.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are also some older PPK's in 22 out now from East German Police trainer stock. I have one as well and it is more pocketable than the P-22 due to the smoother exterior design. I didn't know they were back in production. The P-22 does have the benefit of adjustable sights with slightly better visibility.

Are the new ones the S&W made units with the bigger back tang to reduce slide bite?

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If you can get a reliable Walter P22 that would be my recommendation. Why I say 'reliable' is that the only P22 I have had experience with was a very poor specimen that needed to be sent back for warranty work...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find one (discontinued in 1990), a Remington "Nylon 66" is a great plinker/beater 22 semi-auto rifle. Pretty much indestructible and only about 4 lbs.

There's still a lot of High Standard 22 pistols on the market that are affordable, although many are becoming collectible and seeing bigger price tags. They're very good quality and a little easier to strip/clean than the Rugers. There are lots of other good 22 semi-autos around -- Browning, S&W, Taurus.

My favorite 22 is a revolver. A S&W M63 Kit-Gun. Stainless, compact, accurate and pretty much indestructible.

If possible, a few hours spent at a large gun show would really help you make up your mind.

That being said, you can just get the Ruger rifle and pistol and be done with it. You can search but you won't find better dollar values for what you're seeking.

Gman

Enlightened
I had a Nylon 66 as a kid in the early 70's. I had no idea they were manufactured all the way to 1990. What a great rifle, indestructable is right. I still have some sort of Ruger .22 single action revolver, modeled after the Colt Peacemaker. With a gold trigger guard and beautifully engraved cylinder, I have no idea what model it is but I've had it for 30 years. Anyone know?

juancho

Enlightened
I have the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60, both great rifles the Ruger is shorter and lighther, If I were to buy another Ruger 10/22 it will be the NEW FOR THIS YEAR "RIFLE" 10/22 not the carbine,it has a 20 " barrel and a better stock and butt-plate.
If you want a lot of carbine for very little money, get the Brasilian MAGTECH model 7022 it is a 10 shots semiauto, with a very nice wooden stock shaped for adults, still quite short and handy. Five years ago I paid $50.00 at WalMart for mine.
I have put a couple thousands rounds thru it without any problems.
GMAN: Your Ruger is called the BEARCAT,

Juan C.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
GMan- yes, your Ruger is probably a Bearcat. If so, it's pretty valuable. (up to $350 in 98% condition, double that if the serial# has an alphabetical prefix).

Gman

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I got curious and took a look at it. (Took me 30 minutes to find the darn thing, I hadn't seen it in years). Sure nuff, right on the cylinder among all the engraved animals are the words "Bearcat". It's in excellent condition but the s/n is only 5 numbers and no letters. I haven't fired it in years. I recall last using it to shoot at some of those little explosive targets. Those were fun...not the cheapest way to plink but great fun.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow guys, thanks for all the great input!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

nobody:
Guess I should have specified handgun, but a rifle may be more in my price range.
(I never understood how a rifle could cost less than a pistol.)

notos&w:
The Ruger 22/45 stainless sounds neat, but I cannot find it on the Ruger website.
(Say buddy: Can you spare me a link?)

Britt:
You are probably right about the Walther being the best match for my specifications… but for the same price I could buy almost FIVE good flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jauncho:
My Wal-Mart does not sell handguns, but maybe I should check out the rifle selection.

Gman:
Do you know how well the flashlights that you took to the Ukraine are holding up?

Thanks again for all the input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think that Walmart got busted big time for not following the rules in California. Ours can no longer sell firearms or amunition. I think they were caught selling ammo in bulk without verifying ID. There were also
discrepancies in thier gun sales documentation.

They probably would have stopped selling ammo anyway. I don't think that China exports shells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Daniel

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
My choices for compact .22
Rifle- Ruger 10/22 - I have had one for at least 10 years and never a malfunction of any kind. Very accurate. I shot a groundhog last year that had been eating my grandmas garden and hit it in the head, where I was aiming, at 270 feet. I have a cheap 4x power scope on it. I even use it to shoot crows. I really like this rifle.

Handgun- High Standard- While I do not own one my brother has my late fathers, which has to be at least 50 years old, and it still shoots like a champ. I think it was used as a training gun in WW 2.