4*3 watts luxeons pics included

zzublogan

Newly Enlightened
After reading many post on cpf i finally came up with a mod of my own the "magalight" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif This has 4 luxeon 3 watts in parallel direct driver with 6.00 volts input and measured having around 1800-2000 mAmp. so technically oupting around 160 lumens? I don't know how much higher it can go, tips and inputs appreciated. sorry i don't know how to get the pix to directly appear in the post....beam shot is compared to regular 3d mag lite

beam2.sized.jpg

beam3.jpg

beam_shot_1.jpg

face2.jpg

lie_down.jpg

mug1.jpg

mug2.jpg

thanks to Hotbeam for showing me how to link the pics directly

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmmmmmm....pretty!

In the pics, I see three Luxeons with optics. Is there one more in the dead center without optics for better flood fill?

Wrangler

Enlightened
I can only see 3 Luxeons.
The light seems to have more flood than throw is that correct? But it`s a nice mod anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
Wolfgang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a direct drive setup? I have a 3X3W mag mod that I did in a 3D light and it pulls 3A from fresh batts.

What did you use for a heatsink?

zzublogan

Newly Enlightened
yea this is a direct drive setup, it suppose to have 4 amps but i don't know why it's half as much, maybe there's a short somewhere. the heat sink is pretty basic but cool, got it from lambda,it's suppose to be use for 1 lux only so i try not to turn the light on for more then 10 minutes at a time, a hot lip might be a better idea for this mod.

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Is this a direct drive setup? I have a 3X3W mag mod that I did in a 3D light and it pulls 3A from fresh batts.

What did you use for a heatsink?

[/ QUOTE ]

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's probably some resistance in the switch, in the housing, in the batteries themselves (6V - I assume 4 alkalines based on the size of the Mag in the pics) that's why you're seeing less amperage than expected. Also, many alkalines don't tolerate very high current drains (2-4A is considered high). Either way you've still got a lot of light in a very nice mod. I'm tempted.. I have five TV1Ks that I don't know what to do with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have High Vf luxeons...? L's or something? Maybe your're not using alkalines, but zinc carbon? try fresh alkalines...

If the heatsink is decently thick 1/4" or more then you should be ok for running it at 2 amps. If running 4amps then probably 10-15mins at a time running on a 1/4" thick sink would be ok.

KevinL: You should take those luxeons and built a pentalux with those 17mm IMS reflectors like Elektrolumens did...

zzublogan

Newly Enlightened
Yea...these are L binned luxeon. I finally manage to get up to around 3 amps (240) lumens with the use of rechargable batteriess 6v output. Beam shot looks the same, however, this lights up my room even more

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
fantastically cool light... more brightness to ya. I love the idea of one emitter out of the reflector to fill the flood in.. I did something a little similar on my megasonic where i used 17XAs for my main flood lights and a 27XA for the spot in the center... i took one of the reflectors off a 17 to see how it would fill in the flood and i liked it a lot, but the 27 cast a very odd shadow so i put it back on.

-awr