What do I need to make this work?

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Without putting much thought into it, I epoxied two R2H's onto two D Hotlips heatsinks. I had originally planned to just throw it into a 3D Mag body and run it DD, but I've been told that the LEDs may not be able to handle it. I don't want to waste the emitters, so what are my options now?

Adding a resistor was mentioned to me, but how would I go about adding one? Can I just solder one to the spring or something to that effect?

I've also thought about using it in a 2D and adding a converter board to regulate it, but I am really lost when it comes to converter boards. I've looked at some of the rate calculators but as simple as they are they still seem to be beyond the scope of my tiny brain. Can anyone give me a hand with this? Much appreciated.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The R2 part of the bin code would probably be OK (they've proven to be successfully overdriven inspite of their being 1W parts), but the H Vf bin might just be too low. Survival is questionable. I wouldn't want to DD one on anything less than a 'J', with a 'K' Vf bin code being more ideal (IMHO). Lux III's are also a better choice for DD applications, as they get rid of the heat faster.

Of course the easiest solution would be to add A low value resistor; and actually the most ideal place to put it (IMHO) would be inside of the stock mag bulb post under the hotlips in series with one of the power leads coming from the switch (I would probably go with the + lead myself). This way, you could keep it captured and not have to worry about it being loose inside of the mag body under the hotlips.

Also, if you're thinking of using a converter board, look at Georges80's nflex (would be good for use in a 4D mag setup, as they really need 6v to work well), or maybe a high current value Badboy. Either can also be fit under the Hotlips in/around the bulb post area.

Look at my TWAKnFlex (and vote for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) or icarus' nFlex 2D mod for examples of the nFlex application.

I'll help you where I can, and I'll even go out on a limb and say I can help you build it if you need me to. Just provide the parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
LEDmodMan--Thanks for your reply, that's a really nice mod the two of you did. I'm going to have to go back and read it a little more thoroughly, but that nflex board poses some interesting possibilities.

For the resistor, what value resistor should I be looking at?

For the converter board, I was thinking that I could go with a BadBoy 700 and run it with 2D, or I could go with a Downboy 700 and run with 3x123--does that sound right? Too bad the Sandwich Shoppe doesn't have either in stock at the moment.