Photon 3 Mark III - Latest news from LRI.

arab

Enlightened
Hi,

I posted a question on the LRI discussion board recently regarding the release date for a revised Photon 3.

I asked this question:
: I'm looking to buy more P3s at some stage in
: the future but I'll wait until the Fusion
: logic is used. Do you have any timescale,
: however approximate for the mark 3 Photon
: III? This year, next year?

And got this response:

It will be this year, but I don't have any good estimate for how long. We will be getting some new Purple Photon 3's in within the next week or two that I understand will have the new chip, however it may be a while before the new chip makes its way into all of the other P3's.

I think I'm going to have to buy a white one when they become available. Certainly it should be ok for a christmas present to myself
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I too am v. interested in the photon 3's (and a photon fusion), I'm trying to find a place to buy them at a good price, botach tactical http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/ns earch?catalog=botach&query=photon&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fbotach%2Findex.html

seem the best price but they don't seem keen to respond to email - anyone used them or can recommend a better place with reasonable postage to the UK?
confused.gif

OOPs sorry checked the other threads & see this has been covered pretty well, I'll check with TTS and vicomptel. I'd still be interested in peoples views of botach though.
rolleyes.gif

arab

Enlightened
botach have a very bad reputation in these pages although I have no personal experience.

I have ordered from TTS before and my experience was very good. Unlike a lot (most?) USA operations, TTS will deliver the goods at a reasonable cost - maybe $4-$5. Others have attempted to charge me more for delivery that the product itself !!!!!

I've read positive things about vicomptel and indeed I have just ordered a Rav'n from them. I don't think anybody can beat their prices, lets just wait and see if they can deliver! I'll update my other post when I get delivery.

Getting back to my original point - would you consider waiting for the revised (Mark III) Photon 3? If you read Craig's review of the Photon 3 and then his comments on the new logic in the Photon Fusion (which is what will be used in the Mark III Photon 3), I'm sure you'll agree it's worth waiting for!

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I would use either William at Texas Tactical or Go Get 'em Gear (see the new dealer's corner...)

TTS is very good...I've ordered from them before. It seems that Go Get 'em Gear is also very good. Reasonable shipping rates, too...and really good (personalized) service.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yep,
I'm with you on the improved circuitry being a sensible step forward - I intend to order a couple of photon 3's now though as I support a Scout group & other outdoors group and need demo models. If people like 'em I can try to put together a decent sized order. I really fancy a fusion as well for my cycling and general running around, as its features are good & sounds like it could cope with my abusive lifestyle! My query about Botach centres around this, as they seem to offer the best discount on a fusion. It would help if I could source one of these as well - to help explain to my potential buyers the benfits of waiting for photon 3.1 (always thinking of their interests first - honest
wink.gif
) Uk prices of a photon 3 are ~$40 if you can find them!
blush.gif

arab

Enlightened
Hi ar_bitrator

If you are thinking of buying a Photon Fusion, I recommend you read the below from Photon Dicsussion Forum

There is a problem with the clip on the battery case - it breaks!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

LRI have acknowledged the problem and are addressing it - current models are still affected however.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Bryan Avery from LRI had this to say on the subject:

It may be a while before the new battery compartment with the reinforced latch makes it way into the packaged lights, however for those of you who currently own or will be ordering Fusions in the near future, we will be happy to send you the new battery compartment when it becomes available. That goes for any of our customers ordering direct from PhotonLight.com.

As always, LRI stands behind their products, so if your latch breaks you may of course send the light in for warranty service to receive the new battery compartment.

-Bryan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LRI's customer service is excellent and if you buy the current model and have problems they will look after you - I say this based on my own direct experience.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you still want to buy a Fusion, I`d suggest Adventurekit. They`re a good company, UK based, I got mine there. I think it was £45 and P+P is cheap. If you buy a Fusion from the States, even if it costs you only $50, you run the risk of being nailed by customs and charged a fair few quid on top of shipping- so it may work out cheaper. Plus another advantage of buying in the UK is you get your stuff quicker. Adventurekit delivered mine by 1st class post and it took only a day or 2.
They have Photon 3s there too, can`t remember how much though.

grin.gif