What is your "typical" target?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What is your \"typical\" target?

Hi guys,

We discuss the various lights in every possible aspect and respect but I don't recall a thread that focused specifically on what a person's typical target for illumination is. I was reflecting the other day after discussing flashlights with someone who was not familiar with the current state of affairs that in order to assist someone in flashlight choice, the first question to ask is "what are you planning to illuminate?"

Obviously target size, color and distance from you are all key in proper flashlight selection and I think it would be interesting to see what all of us typically are hunting with our lights!

Hardly a day goes by that I don't use a light for intense and spot illumination of a part I am machining. For this, I need a bright and focused beam to overcome the harsh contrast of ambient light. Every night, I walk the dog and use a concentrated but low level spot on Salty while he is doing his business and then follow up with a good but reasonably dim flood for "mine removal". I use the concentrated "high beam" on him when he has wandered too far or seems to have his nose in something.

So what targets do you guys "light up" on an ongoing basis??

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Re: What is your \"typical\" target?

Anything dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Dark equipment closets, innards of PCs, backs of equipment racks, dark theater hallways and backstage areas, weird little alcoves where equipment is hidden.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Deer that are wandering around in my field, my cat when I have to get him out of a fight (he beats up my sister's cat all the time). During the fall and winter, I use a light when walking to the bus stop on the way to school. On the way I like to blind innocent little creatures like deer and bunnies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mostly trails when out hiking late. Most of the time I use my Ultra G on a neck lanyard, or a 3Led headlamp, if its a night hike, then the UKE2L goes with me as well. So I guess a low beam is sufficient for walking for me, while something small with good throw is great ofr spotting trails. Apart from that, what everyone said above... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha. I blind the roos, but not you ragz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have heaps of them just out the back. Must be careful not to run into them with the car too. Stupid buggers, kangaroos.

I tend to use lights mainly for walking, so I light up the ground (often someone else is following, so they want to see too). I go caving from time to time, so apart from a light on the hat, it's good to be able to see into little caverns and crevaces. I also like to light up trees to see what's in them.

Fairly wide range.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i watched that movie kangeroo jack like 4 times its funny but silly.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I search through wooden pallets that are stacked on metal racks. The back of the skids are shaded by the skids above them and on all sides of them. Also, trailers loaded with pallets of product.

Also, the area I'm in is prone to power outages, and on top of that, the place I work doesn't really have a large enough power substation supplying it (too much expansion in the area, and the power company is too cheap).

So... I use a tight beam for finding the stuff I need on the pallets, and a slightly wider beam when the power goes out.

-(a different) Craig

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mostly shine it up tall trees to spot for creatures and sometimes fruits. I too use it for spotting wild boars. My smaller lights would be used for checking drains, or to aid my walk around the house at night.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

At work I use my VIP for looking in equipment racks, cases, under stages ( sometimes 40 - 60 feet long), looking on stages, getting some ones attention that is far away, looking at truss, speakers and equipment flown in the air, reading paperwork in the dark (VIP on low is perfect for this), looking in crawl spaces for installing speakers and cables, I can slide it in between my holster and my belt facing forward to use the spill as a forward light when I am in pitch dark and need to use both hands to place equipment.

And my favorite target is anything I can shine my light on to impress my co-workers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Usually, I shine my flashlight on the ground in front of me when I'm walking around at night. I sometimes shine the light straight ahead if I need to see if there is something far in front of me.

Sometimes, I like to shine a very powerful light out the window at night at neighbors' windows(Not Recommended!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

typical target is 15' to 50' in front of me on hiking trails so stuff like trees, dirt trails, bushes.
the fraen seems to work best for me 'cause the sidespill of the reflector seems to disappear at the above mentioned distances and only the small hotspot remains. the fraen has the biggest hotspot i have so far seen and works great.
indoors with white walls or close up stuff, i use reflector

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

The corner of my room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gifSometimes up in our tree or the neighbour's tree.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Furniture in my house at night so I don't run into any with my walker and damage any tender parts of me in the process.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indoor and out door use for me. I typically lean towards the better performance for out door use, as when used indoors it will work too. Also carry an Arc AAA in shirt pocket for backup and looking at tiny objects up close [i.e. internal parts}.

chrisse242

Enlightened

Power outages are rare in germany, the last one I can remember is years ago and it didn't last longer than half an hour. But the street lights in my road are really dim and so I have a lux3 of some kind with me when I know I'll have to walk the streets in the dark. I have to use my arc aaa more often than I would like to, because my teammates tend to throw their darts anywhere else but at the board./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif (Most of the times it's somewhere in the little space between dartboard and ground.)
I have a dimmer light for walking when I take my neighbours dogs out for a walk at night (I don't want to blind them) and a really bright one to spot things in a distance. No wild animals around here but some nasty bigger dogs. When riding my Bike in darker areas I use a long-throwing flashlight in addition to my bike's own lights.

Chrisse

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

looking at the inside of my room at home - Cmg infinity
Finding keyholes Longbow micra or - Cmg infinity ultra
lighting up ovals at work - thor 10mcp spotlight
looking at doors, windows, swimming pools, inside rooms, looking for offenders, etc - either SFL4, 6P, SL Stinger or pelican M11 (depending on whether i need a spot or flood beam, and what is working/charged etc)