• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired AUCTION! Li14430 light - Last one

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last one of mine to be sold. I need a new computer badly. You can help me buy it. My cranky P166 running W95 is just getting too hard to keep going since MS quit supporting W95 against all the malicious stuff out there on the Web.
Auction with % benefit to CPF. Ends Tuesday August 3 11PM EDT.
Offered for sale at auction, light similar to one pictured below. Also included are two Li-ion 14430 size cells [light requires only one cell] and appropriate charger. Chief Wiggum says In short, it's very bright, very small, 2 level light with long very constant output runtimes that's RECHARGABLE. I believe that he has it pretty much right.
Larry_turn_me_on.jpg

Full details concerning this light can be found at this link: Lots O'lumens
Be aware that none of the lights pictured in the linked post or this one is the actual light you are bidding on. I do not own a camera and therefore I am unable to take any pictures of the actual light offered for sale. Be assured that externally it is pretty much similar to those pictured. As described in the linked posts these lights were manufactured in a reflector version and an optic version. They were also manufactured in a variety of low and high current settings. The light offered in this auction is an optic version with approximate Low/High current settings of 110/520 mA. This is the light used to produce the runtime graphs which were linked to the Lots O'lumens thread. Beam peak lux@1M L/H is 160/470. TXOJ Lux III emitter.

Of interest to Non-US bidders, the charger can accept inputs from 100-240VAC, 47-63Hz.

Disclaimers
This light was designed and built by three yahoos with no known prior experience in commercial production of flashlights. While designed and built to exacting standards, this light has been in existance for only a few months and thus statistics on long term reliability are shakey at best. So far, so good.

Use of "bare" li-ion cells which are removable from the powered device by the customer is generally not a design condoned by li-ion cell manufacturers. The electronics and associated cell as used in this light and the associated charger have been evaluated by me for safety for creditable failure modes. They [light and charger]have not been evaluated for safety with regard to all possible forms of abuse . I subscribe to the notion that nothing can be made "fool proof" because the fools are so damned ingenious. Bad ideas include, but are not limited to, using inappropriate charger, crushing or otherwise mechanically damaging cell, use of cell in devices other than this light, storing cell in your pocket along with a wad of steel wool. By bidding on this light you agree to hold harmless, me or anyone else associated with design and construction of this light for any damages, real, imagined, or consequential, associated with ownership or use of this light and associated accessories.
Whew, enough of that BS.

These lights operate at high power and thus can get quite hot. Those with high currents set at 700 mA and above are designed on the assumption that for extended operation the light will be held by a bare hand for heat dissapation. Larry reports that he was able to hold one of his set for >700 mA for the entire duration of a Star Trek rerun barehanded. I believe that he said that he did swap hands occasionally. If set down for long, it will get too hot to comfortably pick up. We choose not to inscribe in tiny letters "Caution! Hot!". We believe that if you pick one up under these conditions it will soon be self evident that it is hot. Instructional video not included.

Unless Sasha sees fit to alter it for reasons of her choosing, let's end this auction at 11 PM EDT, Tuesday, August 3. Winning bid will be last bid timestamped by CPF as 10:59 or earlier. I reserve right to cancel auction if CPF is down for any portion of the last hour of auction.

10% of proceeds will go to CPF for operating expenses.

Finally, here is a picture of the Li14430 compared to an ARC AA and a CMG Infinity. As you can see, you don't get much for your money.
Top to bottom: ARC AA, Li14430, CMG Infinity
Larry_comparison.jpg

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
$110.00
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

mut

hideo

Enlightened
you guys are awful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

hmmm ... smaller than the 2xCR2Q3/DB400 Infinity I just got from Chief Wigguns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

$115

hideo

Greta

Flashaholic
<font color="red">As Doug stated, this auction will officially end on Tuesday, 8/3/04 at 11PM Eastern... that is 11PM on the east coast, in New York City and 8PM on the west coast, in Los Angeles. Good Luck everyone!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font>

<font color="blue">I would like to ask that anyone who wants to run an auction or raffle at this time (or the near future), please contact me first as I have many who are waiting patiently for their turn. So many of you have been so generous with offering donations for CPF benefit and I have a growing pile of items here at my house that members have been generous enough to mail to me to auction or raffle off. I don't want anyone to lose out on these by having too many of them running at once so I would like to limit auctions and raffles to only two at a time... one auction and one raffle. This is out of fairness to YOU, not me. Thank you all for your cooperation... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font>

jtice

Flashaholic
$150,,,, like that will last /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Makes me feel good i bid on this MASTERPIECE though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
$150. I don't want it (sure), just helping to move things along.

Okay, make it $160, just so as not to go backwards. (I have 3 copies of the thread up, all showing different things. A little CPF problem, methinks.)

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
inluxication said:
(I have 3 copies of the thread up, all showing different things. A little CPF problem, methinks.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... this is one of the MAJOR contributors to the "too many connections" error that we've been lucky enough to have avoided for several days now. Do you think you can perhaps knock that down to just one CPF window? Ummm... there are currently 65 users on CPF... if they all had 3 windows open, that would be 195 connections... and then if some had more than 3... well... you get the idea. Thanks much... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
Isn't this the 21st century? Shouldn't there be support for at least a few thousand connections at once? I mean, what's the point of my using the Mozilla/Firefox browser if I can't go to the "new threads" page, click open the dozen most interesting, and then browse them all?

But in this particular case, there was a "flashlight" bid of $118, I bid 150, meanwhile (I forget how) got pointed into a different copy of the same thread, which (unlike the first) showed jtice's $150 bid and showed flashlight's bid as $158. I don't know if it was just that flashlight edited his bid after having been pipped to the post by jtice, or if something freakier was going on.

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
While we're at it, how come it's 00:25 and my post shows up as 11:11pm? I can accept that it might be a time zone other than Eastern, but the 14-minutes doesn't figure.

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Normally there are "bidding increments", which tend to be about 5%. At Christie's, for instance, from $50 to $1000 it's by $50 increments, from $1000 to $2,000 by $100s, and so forth. Otherwise it gets to be a real drag. For instance, I could now...

bid $161.01.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Multiple windows of a single thread, or multiple windows of CPF in general causes problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter. Each window is a seperate connection or query.

inluxication... there has been much discussion on this topic all over the board. And no, technology has not come so far that there is support for at least a few thousand connections at once. CPF is set at the max right now of 1000 and we cank that on a nightly basis sometimes. Have you been around for one of our infamous "too many connections" parties? They aren't fun... especially for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

In case you haven't read it yet, you may want to GO HERE and read about CPF and what is currently going on and what I am doing to try to fix the problem. All I'm asking at this time is that members at least try to help out a little bit. I don't think I'm asking too much... do you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif