How does a VIP compare to say a E2E or Tec40....

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does MR Bulk's VIP compare to something like a E2E or Tec 40 in light output? This probably isn't a fair comparison as the VIP runs on 3 volts and these other lights run on 6. But I believe the VIP already beats all 3 volts light out there. We need to move up in class here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm also curious as these are lights I've actually seen the beams of and I can visualize. Maybe you guys have a better light in this class to compare it to, in output. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Don't have an E2E, but I do have a Tec40, and out of the box there is no comparison; the VIP blows it away.

The stock PT40 is not too impressive. It's popular because it is relitively cheap, durable, and takes easily replaceable (and substitutable) AA batteries and PR lamps.

I run my PT40 with E91 Lithiums and a Xenon lamp and it's a huge improvement over stock, but the VIP is still a better light. In comparison I'd say the modded PT40 and VIP (with BulkHead) have about equal throw, but the smoother, whiter beam from the VIP is much more pleasing to the eyes.

I just went outside and did a quick comparison of my modded PT40 and my VIP (with BulkHead). At equal distance from the target the PT40 has a larger hot spot and spill, but both are dimmer than the VIP (when superimposed the VIP beam overwelms the PT40). Total lumen output is probably pretty close. If I adjust distances so that the spill diameter is equal (PT40 much closer) then the PT40 has a tighter, brighter hot spot, but the VIP spill is still much brighter. Long distance throw is very close. Close enough to call even, but the whiter VIP beam is easier to see on dark targets.

Size & Weight: the VIP is quite a bit smaller, even with the BulkHead. I don't have a scale handy, but with the old back-and-forth between the hands measure they feel close enough in weight to call it even. This will vary a bit depending on what kind of batteries you put in the PT40.

Looks: (duh) do you really need to ask?

I also did a quick compare with my Pelican M6 Lithium (incan). For throw the M6 wins hands down (and it doesn't even have fresh batteries). Again, the VIP spill is brighter.

In a contest of this nature the VIP wins big. It has a smoother, rounder, whiter beam with excellent throw and loads of usefull spill. Not to mention adjustable power, great battery life and sexy looks. It is a high tech marvel with a huge WOW! factor.

But then again, it's a $195 light (with BulkHead) so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Bang-for-the-buck is almost a toss up between the PM6 and PT40. The PM6 produces loads more light, but is more expensive, and more expensive to run. The PT40 is fully waterproof (dive rated) and can be run from a variety of battery/lamp combinations; including rechargeables. But in the end I'd have to give the edge to the PM6 because it throws a ton of light for its size and price. Add a Kroll clicky and UCL from flashlightlens.com and it's a sweet little light. I'm planning on adding a DB1000 and Lux3 to one of my PM6 lights, and that should be even nicer...

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How does a VIP compare to say a E2E or Tec40..

On high my VIP (with BH) can throw as far as my E2e, but has a narrower spill beam. The E2e seems to put out a little bit more light, but not all that much more. For the size of the lights, the VIP with BH is just a tiny bit shorter than the E2e, but is much fatter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif But the VIP is quite comfortable to hold in the hand, unlike some tiny single 123a lights that are just too small to hold comfortably.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where can one purchase the VIP? Is there any link?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now how about vs. a BBH? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pjandyho, the VIP is a limited mod run made by MR Bulk. I believe it's no longer except for an occasional apperance on the B/S/T or Ebay. They tend to go for much more than $200 now....

Do a search for 'VIP', you'll find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, I forgot to mention that I believe a Tec40 with a Xenon bulb and litiums is pretty darn bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If the VIP matches that on 3 volts.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Let's hope MR Bulk beats the PM6 in his next mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Yea, the PT40 with E91 Lithiums and a Mag Xenon Star is really very nice. It's my choice for a "beater" light when I want something small and bright that I don't have to worry about.

As far as the next Mr. Bulk light (the LionHeart); I seem to recall him saying it will be driven at around 1.5A at full brightness (that was the level from the circuit test info in the LionHeart thread).

If that is the case then that is about the same as you get from a 3 cell Mag DD mod. And having built several of those I can tell you that my DD Mag mods (with sputtered reflectors) do beat my PM6 in both throw and spill. Of course the big Mag reflectors are noted for having excellent throw, so it remains to be seem how the LH reflector will do (seems to be very nice from the beam shots).

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ohhh snap, 1.5 A??? And out throw a PM6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Are we talking the incandecent PM6 or the LED? I'm gonna have to confirm this info on the Lionheart thread. I wonder how much this shortens the life of the Lux.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Note that I said the 1.5A figure was from a test of the LionHeart drive circuitry. I don't know if the final config will drive that hard. The message is in the LionHeart thread on page 31 (or thereabouts).

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
...Also preliminary tests of the LHDS (LionHeart Drive System) dimming circuitry are rather exciting, as it will go from a true "Dim Low" of <10mA (you can look directly into the Luxeon without -- Too much pain) all the way up to ~1.5A or whatever the thick Pila can provide (now This level would be quite painful to look at), all at a measured efficiency of well over 90%...no kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for Luxeon durability at that drive level, people have been building the 3 cell DD Mag mods for a while now (and they push 1.5A+), and I haven't heard of any problems with K voltage binned emitters (I believe there was a failure or 2 with lower voltage bins) and since Charlie has stated he will be using K bins I expect the durability and lumen maintenance of the LionHeart to be excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
With that said however, the way the LionHeart achieves its maximum brightness on High is because at this level there will be no circuitry, no PWM-pulsed dimming, no nothing controlling it - it simply bypasses everything and runs in totally constant Direct Drive, thus explaining our decision to use only K-binned Vf Luxeons. Js and Hs will be risky in DD...

[/ QUOTE ]

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Oh, and as for throw; I said my DD Mag mods out throw my PM6 (incan). The LionHeart will be using a smaller reflector, so it's hard to say how well it will do. Beam shots from the LH reflector look very promising so I would guess it will give the PM6 some competition, at least.

Then again, there is always the BBH for the VIP. I don't have one of those, but I hear it has some very serious throw.