DVD Recorders

GeoffChan

Enlightened
G'day guys and gals,

Anybody else here own a dvd recorder?

I caved in a bought one when i noticed the stacks of video tapes around my parents house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Geoff

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rumour is, they are about to take a big tumble on price mainly due to the cost of the MPEG encoder/decoder chip dropping in price.

Myself, im waiting for Blu-Ray...

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I have a DVD burner in my computer, thought about one for the home theater as well but if prices are dropping I will hold off on shopping for one.
I have yet to try burning video from an external source (vcr) yet as I have no easy way to import the video.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do quite a bit of recording into the computer for burning. I picked up an ADS Pyro, firewire A/V link to digitize the video and that works great for analog sources. The retail of it is a bit pricey, but you can catch a good sale if you wait long enough and watch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They also make USB2 versions of the same thing.

If you're talking about a direct to DVD recorder thing that doesn't use a computer, I don't know much about those. Using the computer lets you do so much more for creating menu's and editing out the commercials and such and adding titles and the rest that even though it takes a bit more "post production" work I've pretty much stuck to that. And you can get a DVD burner for the computer for between $80 and $100 bucks now.

One thing you'll definitely want to do is to test out the DVD blanks that you buy. Some brands just don't play well, or at all, in some brands of DVD players. I've had good luck with the $1 a piece "Teon" branded ones I've bought from a Staples in town. But I've been unable to get any of my machines to recognize the TDK ones I bought on sale at BestBuy the other day. They are OK for data backups in the computer, but my DVD player won't play them.

I also bought some more expensive Sony ones to send video of the kids to relatives because I thought they would be the most compatible, and indeed they are proving to be so.

So test a few different brands to start with and find one that works in both your recorder and player. There are some that are really fancy looking and cost several dollars a piece, but I think thats a ripoff, a little experimenting and you can find less expensive brands that work fine.

Don't expect them to last forever though. Like CDR's the life span is probably at most a few years, less if they aren't stored properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Rumour is, they are about to take a big tumble on price mainly due to the cost of the MPEG encoder/decoder chip dropping in price.

Myself, im waiting for Blu-Ray...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I hadn't heard about Blu-Ray. 27GB disks - maybe 54GB!! link

gessner17

Enlightened
Another thing new on the market is ,finally, the Dual layer burners, I think Sony has one out now and it is not too pricey. I have had a 4x Pioneer for the last 2 years and have been authoring DVD's for a while. I have found the best setup for the money to be the ATI ALLinwonder card coupled with SCSI drives. I can digitize and compress to mpeg2 800X600 with no frame loss, it really looks quite nice. I have also found by personal experience that DVD-R seem to be more compatible than DVD+R's. Most people I have sent dvd-r's have never had a problem, I sent out 200 discs and didn't have a complaint from one.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I built my new PC, I installed a Lite-on 8X dual layer dvd burner. It's a great burner, no problem at all. Unfortunately, There doesn't seem to be any dual layer media available yet. When it does become available, It's probably going to be a bit pricey at first.

Latest posts