McCapsule-917 + "Classic" retro 27 mm reflector

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
McCapsule-917 + \"Classic\" retro 27 mm reflector

I just received this for my 6P and love it. This thing throws a nice tight beam. It is a LuxIII driven at 917ma and throws better than a P60. One thing a noticed while playing with it is that Led's do not throw heat out the front of the light like Incans do. If I point a P60 at my hand I feel heat right away if I do the same with the Capsule I feel nothing?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: McCapsule-917 + \"Classic\" retro 27 mm reflect

JT,

There is no IR emanating from the LED. I have a customer who has resold some of my fixed lighting Nichia based LED lights to a DR. who is using them for illumination on skin graft work as I understand it. IR and heat is a real problem normally from what I was told in this field. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

TONYBPD,
The parts are essentially available from the shoppe but there is the issue of modifying the reflector. I seem to have lost my round tuit. If I manage to get one back, I suppose I could either build some of these up or offer to build some. The compatibility and needed tweaks for the various "classic" hosts has not really been nailed down yet. JT discovered that for the 6P, the anode contact needed to be extended past a simple solder ball. In the mean time, if you are really interested in one of these, send me an E-mail and we can see if a solution can be found.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The little spring you see here needed to be added to make it work with a 6P.
6P%20Dropin2.JPG

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
JT,

There is no IR emanating from the LED. I have a customer who has resold some of my fixed lighting Nichia based LED lights to a DR. who is using them for illumination on skin graft work as I understand it. IR and heat is a real problem normally from what I was told in this field. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
The little spring you see here needed to be added to make it work with a 6P.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow, mine works fine in a 6P with just a very slight solder blob on the anode contact, probably about 0.5mm thick. It does not, however, work reliably with a E2C on a Surefire E2 body (though it does work with an E2C and a McLux 2x123 body (the McLux body is just a TINY bit shorter than the E2 body)). This spring you have would easily bridge this small gap.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I may have to retrofit mine with a spring. While it works fine with just a solder blob with the standard LOTC, it doesn't work with the Z48/Z49 clickies. Bummer.

TonyBPD

Enlightened

I just got my McCapsule from Don a few days ago. Very nice!

I installed mine in my G2Z. I just can't seem to get the LED centered perfectly. It is close but still off center. Other than that its great.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Tyler,
I did the same thing for Tony's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I think this is the solution for most of the classic's but the plastic bodies will also likely need some assist on the ground ring. On Tony's build, I used one of the ground rings from a L1 contact assembly that I had.

Dang, it looks like I'll be machining more of these reflectors for these builds and get them to the shoppe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ummm, exsqueeze me Mr./Ms. Moderator, but wouldn't this topic fit better over in "Homemade and Modified Lights"?

And, I'm only asking cuz I get so frustrated over there by all the danged fancy whiz-blasters (most of which I can't understand or can't afford--or both) that I have to come over here to calm down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thank you.

TonyBPD

Enlightened

FWIW - I installed my McCapsule in my Z3 and the beam seemed considerably brighter then in my G2Z. I took it outside and had some serious throw.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
TONYBPD said:
FWIW - I installed my McCapsule in my Z3 and the beam seemed considerably brighter then in my G2Z. I took it outside and had some serious throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I will have to try mine in a 3 cell light now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TonyBPD

Enlightened

Let me know what you come up with. I know it was late but I believe it was brighter !