Suggestions for small EDC light with pocket clip?

ngster

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
does anyone have any suggestions for me? im thinking about the surefire e1e or e2e. But they are both around the same price so i dont know if the e1e is worth it? I am also planing on using the pocket clip to attach the light to by baseball cap.. to use as a headlamp.... has anyone tried this before with the e1e or e2e?

thanks, ngster

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ngster,

I am currently EDCing the E2e (w/ standard xenon MN03 lamp--60 lumens for 75 minutes) and it is AWESOME! Beautiful beam. Small, light, and very well made. Optically coated pyrex lens, HA, LOTC. Nice. I love it and highly recommend it. It fits nicely in a pocket and comes with a pocket clip. I removed my clip, but for your use, it'd be a necessity.

capnal

Enlightened
look into the Streamlight TL 2 or the NF 2. Comes with clip also.
about the same size as you are considering. Not saying this to take away from Surefire at all, just throwing out different product suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on the size of your pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif some pockets can accomodate larger lights (I've seen Mags in pockets..)

I'd prefer a E1e+KL1, although the E2e is a nice light. It was hell trying to make the decision between the two of them. I know some day I'll get both of them, but for now the E1e follows me day to day.

I just discovered that due to the orientation of the clip (as opposed to the 'reverse' clip of the U2 Digital Ultra, not that I have one) you can also clip it to the edge of your jacket sleeve, just above your hand and have the light point forward and illuminate whatever you are working on.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Suggestions for small EDC light with pocket cl

I have always either EDC an E1e or E2e and I love it. With the addition of a KL1 LED conversion head I seemed to EDC my E1e everyday. Although the lumens of the MN01 bulb on the E1e is the same as the KL1, I would say the KL1 puts out more flood light overall to make a very good work light or walking light.

Alright, I know it's expensive, but a GREAT EDC is the E1e with a KL4 head. A small version of the L4 (same amount of output, shorter runtime). I love it! Also, I still EDC the world-class mod light, the McLux TK (like in my photo at left). Still like that old classic. Alot. But check out the E1e-KL4 combo. Just great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ngster

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the suggestions everyone..
wow i never knew so many people add the LED bezels..
I never thought of using an LED bezel.. But it just seems to get really expensive.. I was also considering the L1 as an EDC. but it looks kinda bulky. Anyone have any feedback on this one?

paulr

Flashaholic

The L1 is a nice light though it is rather bulky for a 1 cell light, as you say. It's about the same size as an E2e.

I think an E2e is a bit large to clip to a hatbrim. That should work with the E1e.

If you want a real cheap alternative, try the Princeton Tec Blast at about $8. It's plastic and about half the brightness of the E1e, i.e. still a fair bit brighter than a Minimag. It runs on two AAA's and is very lightweight and waterproof.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened

The E1E is one excellent, small light which would work well using it attached to a baseball cap. Here is a link which might give you an idea of it's diminutive size:

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/surefire_e1e.htm

I'd highly recommend the E1E if you don't mind spending the money on it. It would be about the most durable light you could find for your particular application, and with over an hour illumination from one battery, it won't cost too much to run.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I have used the E1e/Kl1, E1e/KL4, & the ARC4 cliped on a ball cap. I prefer the ARC4 for this use. The E1e/Kl1, E1e/KL4 work OK too, but they protrude out further into your line of sight.

IMHO these lights that clip on your cap don't replace a headlamp, but are great for temporary use because you have it with you as a EDC light.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

The L4 works great on a baseball cap. Lights up EVERYTHING very brightly within arms length and further.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
I have used the E1e/Kl1, E1e/KL4, & the ARC4 cliped on a ball cap. I prefer the ARC4 for this use. The E1e/Kl1, E1e/KL4 work OK too, but they protrude out further into your line of sight.

IMHO these lights that clip on your cap don't replace a headlamp, but are great for temporary use because you have it with you as a EDC light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point about the EDC light. I believe that you should invest heavily in your EDC light because of the fact that it's always with you, it will see the most use. A great light is no use when it's not around when you need it.

If you do get the E1e, I recommend the KL1 conversion head because it puts out a heck of a lot more light than the stock head while still retaining very decent run time (also 90 minutes) at reasonable cost (~$50 for the KL1).

There is another 'unofficial' conversion using the KL4/L4 LumaMax (same thing) head, puts out even more light than the KL1 at the expense of runtime, and it costs about double of the KL1.

I myself bought the E1e alone without thinking about the LED conversion at first because it was expensive. After I started using my E1e a lot, eating up batteries and lamps like there was no tomorrow, I put down the extra for a LED.

Techmedic

Enlightened

I am thinking of the Streamlight TL-2 LED. Takes two 123's and (they claim) lasts four hours. Likely half the price of a e2e with KL-1.
Does anyone EDC a TL-2 LED?

cubegleamer

Newly Enlightened

I've been EDCing a Jetbeam BC10 for the past 4 months. CR123.
I like the simple 2 mode option - High (270 Lumen - 75 minutes), Low (30 Lumen - 18 hours).
I love this light. Jetbeam makes some great stuff.