LED lights used at DNC?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
PhotonBoy, do you know of an application where they were using them there? I had my eyes peeled during the convention but I could only pick out one application (shown in the other thread) and that was only a maybe - the camera-mounted light.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The only thing I read was that there were some kind of terrorism kits that included flashlights, but that the lights were being confiscated by security staff. Don't know if they were LED or not.

OBTW, apparently the Smithsonian got a few of the LED lights for their collection.

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
Photonboy, can you post a link or some sort of citation for that story? If it is true, it would be a perfect distillation of our country's approach to "security" since 9/11, anti-terrorism kits that have to be confiscated for fear of terrorism!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Bradenton

Google search

I quoted the whole article, since I don't know when they drop off Google's horizon; the Google search turned up three entries.

Fighting terror without a flashlight

By DAVE BARRY

Miami Herald

BOSTON — In a moment I will provide you with complete details on exactly what has been happening here at the Democratic National Convention (nothing). But first here is an Urgent Code Red Terrorism Update:

They took away my flashlight.

I am serious. As you may recall, along with my colleagues, I was issued an Anti-Terrorism Kit consisting of an evacuation hood, a whistle, and a flashlight. I was carrying this kit when I went through the security checkpoint at the FleetCenter (for security reasons, the space between "Fleet" and "Center" has been removed).

Three security people examined my kit; one of them held up the flashlight and I asked me (I swear) if it was an approved Democratic National Committee flashlight. When I said I didn't know, they told me they had to confiscate it. So I said: "How am I supposed to fight terrorism without a flashlight? Ha ha!" I used a jocular tone to indicate that I was a trained humor professional making a joke, but the security personnel did not seem at all amused, so I strode away quickly, before they decided to take my whistle.

Anyway, to avoid losing my whole Anti-Terrorism Kit, I've decided to just leave it back at my hotel. I ask any terrorists planning to attack me to please attack me there. Thank you.

As for the convention itself, it's lumbering right along. The star speaker Wednesday night was vice-presidential nominee John Edwards, who told the inspirational story of how he was born in a small South Carolina town (actual name: "A Small Town, S.C.") where his father was a millworker who went to the mill every day and, I don't know, milled things. In this humble environment Edwards learned his core values, the main one being that it is WAY better to be rich, so he went on to become a wealthy trial lawyer, then member of the U.S. Senate, where he served for nearly eight uninterrupted weeks before deciding to run for president. He was introduced by his wife, Mrs. John Edwards, who revealed that she supports his candidacy.

Speaking of wives: Teresa Heinz Kerry gave a nice speech Tuesday in which she did not once tell anybody to shove anything, although men with tranquilizer-dart guns were standing by offstage just in case. Sen. Ted "Ted" Kennedy also gave a rousing speech, pronouncing many of his words correctly.

TRUE ANECDOTE: I listened to Sen. Kennedy's speech while riding in a taxi driven by a recent immigrant to the U.S. We had the following exchange, which I am not making up:

DRIVER: This is Kennedy?

ME: Yes.

DRIVER: It's the skinny one? Or the fat one?

ME: The fat one.

DRIVER: I like him.

The driver's confusion is understandable: There are more than 17,000 known Kennedys in Massachusetts alone, according to the Kennedy Tracking Center, which uses special collars equipped with GPS devices. Most of the Kennedys live on a large preserve set aside in the central part of the state, where they can roam and mate freely.

But tonight is not about the Kennedys. Tonight is the night when, after waiting on pins and needles, we finally get to find out who the Democrats will nominate for president. The New York Post is predicting Walter Mondale.

BREAKING TERRORISM UPDATE: A colleague in the press center has informed me that the FleetCenter security personnel did, in fact, confiscate her whistle. They told her they did this because - and this is a direct quote - "It's a noisemaker."

Hemingray

Enlightened
We were speculating here ar work if the huge TV screen there was a plasma or LED screen, as it was bright even in well-let conditions.

Maybe this will re-appear in the RNC hoedown in August.

/ed B in NH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif