easiest way to get anondize of inside mag cap

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im modding my mag i got it perfect clean of insdie cap in 2 seconds lol i used this acid i found .man that stuff is strong i dont recomend useing it but it worked for me i made sure i clean it well when done i did the refelcter holder and end cap a course if i wanted to i could of used a eye droper to just put a few drops in cap. so it will remain black on outside.but i thought silver would look cool lol
light111.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got it in zep fs formula 10184.im assuming its acid dont get it on skin ouch. and it removes anodize from mag in minutes like 1 minute to long and im sure it will remove mag lol i did my hole flashlight last night then used wax to keop it from oxidizeing.but to clean end cap inside of it just drop a few drops in there wait 30 seconds and clean it out

jtice

Flashaholic
I use Red Devil LYE powered.

Just mix alittle with water.
Its not the safest in teh world either, but works great.
I fround it a wal mart.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
jtice what depratment is that in cause i cant find this stuff no more but have a half gallon . lol it scary how fast it works

cy

Flashaholic
Re: easiest way to get anondize of inside mag c

ZEP FS FORMULA 10184
TYPE: High Foaming Caustic Cleaner PROD. #2417
BENEFITS: Heavy-duty, caustic foaming cleaner specifically formulated for cleaning floors, walls, and equipment in food processing plants. Excellent smokehouse cleaner. USDA applicable.
CAUTION: As it is very alkaline formulation, care must be taken to avoid damage to painted, aluminum, and galvanized metal surfaces. Keep from freezing.
PROPERTIES
Appearance Clear, orange
Dilution Ratio 1:10-1:50
DOT White label
Form Liquid
pH Concentrate 12.5-13.5
Scent Odorless

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i just did a omh ratting of the hole flashlight and it has zero resistance

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

so your flashlight is a super conductor--zero resistance

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well on my meter it is

raggie33

*the raggedier*

o im sorry i meant thru the body.

wholeflaffer

Enlightened

Fits one of my (many) mottos perfectly:

"Always use the right nasty chemical for the right job".

If it can clean a smokehouse, it oughta be able to clean my garage.

jtice

Flashaholic

raggie, I found the Red Devil LYE powder in the cleaning section.
With the Windex, bleach, etc.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Wow that did a really good job of stripping the anodizing. Did it eat any of the aluminum underneath after it devoured the anodizing?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

it will if ya leave it on to long i did trial and error beware of getting it on ya hands. i did more since the pic i removed all anodizeing except the red lens holder thingy

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I took the anodize off the inside of a tailcap, I used abrasion. I happened to have a small cylindrical grinding wheel that took about 2 minutes to remove the oxide coating. It's probably safer than lye or acid, but certainly not as fast and not as clean-looking. Nevertheless, it does work when that's all ya have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

cy

Flashaholic

Caustic solutions will attack aluminum, with or without anodizing. if you use a strong alikaline solution, plan on having your part etched. (please wear eye protection) dip for 10-15max seconds (do a test dip for one second) at a time and rinse with water, check and try again. If you leave in solution for several minutes the part will be severely etched.

At the plating shop I almost always used a 13% nitric acid solution to strip anodizing. Not all colors would come off. For problem parts, after the nitric dip (10-30 seconds), a light dip in the caustic cleaning solution took off all remaining colors.

For really critical parts phosphoric acid was used when no etching is required.

This is for information purposes only. Please don't chase down Nitric acid. a 13% solution will desolve copper, most steel and part of your hand.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

While employed at a university library near here many years ago, I found a beaker of yellow liquid on a cart one morning. Since it didn't look like the yellow liquid that most folks would have expected it to be, I checked in with security and the chem squad. Turned out it was a VERY strong concentration of nitric acid.

Apparently, someone got bored and was tossing zinc strips into the acid, inside the library. Can you say chemical AND fire hazard?

And my wife wonders why I don't get too excited about most spills and accidents anymore...

-(a different) Craig