Brightest 2AA flashlight??

Luca

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Which 2AA flashlight spits out the most lumens? I'm looking for a light for all round use. This means it should shine 2-3 hours per set of bats.

I know the SF's have a lot more to offer in lumens, but for now I don't want to consider them just yet because of the hefty price of the bats.

What are your suggestions? Are the Brinkmann Nexstars any good? Or is the SL Junior brighter?

Thanks people

Gandalf

Enlightened
The Brinkmann Nexstar is a decent light, and very bright, but it's as big as a 2C cell light. However, the xenon bipin lamp it comes with fits perfectly in an AA Maglight, where it produces a much brighter and whiter light than the 'factory' Maglite lamp.
cool.gif
I never measured the burn time, given how cheap batteries are, but witn new alkalines, I can't believe you'd get less than 2 to 3 hours with the xenon lamp in a AA Mini Maglite.
wink.gif
The Brinkmann xenon AA lamps cost $5/pair; not *too* outrageous. I have them in all of my AA, and AAA Mini Maglites, which is about 15 or 20, by now. I like them a lot.
grin.gif

Luca

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gandalf,

I'm looking for a dealer in Europe who carries the Brinkmann bulbs. I also have a couple of Maglites but consider them a bit outdated as to light output. Can't wait to try the upgrade.
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Try a Brinkmann LEGEND AA with a NexStar lamp. It will Blow away a Maglite with a NexStar lamp. It also comes with a end cap switch.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I pick up these Nexstar bulbs for my Mini-Mag in Southern California? Thanks

JollyRoger

Enlightened
What about the new ARC-LS that is coming? How do you guys think this will compare? I know it's a bit pricey...but the idea of a regulated light seems so cool...anyone know of any other AA lights that are regulated?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
...but the idea of a regulated light seems so cool...anyone know of any other AA lights that are regulated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the LuxBrite headlamp (2 AA) and the HeadLite III (5 AA).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got the Brinkman nexstar just last night and dang its bright. It is about as bright as my 6D mag! Maybe my batteries are used but I didn't think they were used THAT much!

Brock

Flashaholic
I have both the Arc LS and Nextstar 2 AA mini-mag. They are close in size and weight. They are close in overall light output with new batteries, but you can spot down the mini-mag to make a brighter "hotspot". If they are the same beam size the Arc appears brighter. The Arc also has the nice soft LED look to the beam. After an hour the LS would be much brighter then the mini-mag.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hairball:
Try a Brinkmann LEGEND AA with a NexStar lamp. It will Blow away a Maglite with a NexStar lamp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you mean?
confused.gif
Can you give more info on this please?

Greetings
Velcro

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luca:
Hi all,

Which 2AA flashlight spits out the most lumens? I'm looking for a light for all round use. This means it should shine 2-3 hours per set of bats.

Note that one some lights in the 2AA category, the manufacturer pumps up the candlepower just by focusing the reflector more tightly. This means no more light is emitted than any other light in the same category, but it's focussed into an extremely tight bright beam that isn't useful for much. I only have the Mini Mag 2AA so I can't comment on the other lights, but I've heard that the Pelican 2AA's have a very thin bright beam.

What are your suggestions? Are the Brinkmann Nexstars any good? Or is the SL Junior brighter?

Thanks people
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The NextStar is brighter because it has a xenon lamp and the SL Junior has a krypton lamp. But you can also just buy the SL Junior and put the NextStar lamp in it, that way you'll also have a tailcap switch which is very handy.

Below are the main lights in the 2AA category.

str71001.jpg

Streamlight Junior

str2aa.jpg

Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA

pritec20.jpg

Princeton Tec Tec-20

pelmagnumplus.jpg

Pelican MagnumPlus

pel2300c_bla.jpg

Pelican MityLite Magnum

809-1040-0.jpg

Brinkmann NextStar

and finally the...

magm2a01h.jpg

Mag-Lite Mini 2AA, the flashlight that changed the industry.

By the way, I see you are from Belgium. Hello from Holland.
smile.gif
Are you from the Vlamish or Wallonian part?

Greetings,
Velcro

Velcro

Enlightened
It's me again.
smile.gif
I just read that you already have the Mini Mag. In that case, get yourself the NextStar lamp. You won't be disappointed. Now, where to find any in the Benelux area (I'm also looking for a pack)... So far there are only two German websites we (the EU flashaholics) are aware of that sell them, but I assume they will be expensive since flashlights are generally very expensive in Germany (compared to US prices).

Greetings,
Velcro

Luca

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
Hi Velcro,
Hi Gandalf,

I'm from the Flemish part of Belgium.

After reading Gandalf's comments on upgrading AA mags, I've ordered some nexstar lamps from www.supertronix.de, a German site.

I also ordered an E2 from www.toolshop.de. Just couldn't resist after all the positive comments I read.
grin.gif
I have good experiences with both of these online shops and can't wait to compare the E2 to my AA mags It will be my first SF lamp. Exxxcittiinng

As for the 123 bats: they are very expensive around here: cheapest I've found per 10: 38 EUR www.toolshop.de. Velcro, can you do better than that?
grin.gif

In the near future I would also like to compare them to the Tec 40 and the SL Junior. They seem like good toys and more economical to run as well.

Does anyone know if the ARC AAA led-light can be ordered somewhere in Europe already?

What's the best address for online ordering SF in Europe? I think it must be WWW.Toolshop.de (no I don't get any discounts for telling this so often
wink.gif

Thanks guys!! even though it's going to cost me a lot of money to get these toys you keep on ranting about...
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

VELCRO
The Brinkmann Legend with a Nexstar lamp will focus tighter (better hot spot at 10 feet) than A Maglite with a Nexstar bulb.
I tryed both with new batts. Give it a try for your self.

Azreal911

Enlightened
wouldn't it be better to get a good cheapie light that's availble at hardware stores, mainly the ones that run on a pr type base bulb. that way you can get to radio shack and pick up one of those halogen or xenon 2 cell bulbs with around like 7-800 milliamps. that would give out a heft punch of light for around 3-4 hrs on alkalines. this is what i'm looking for now. i'm checking would it be better than my mini mag aa one.

Azreal911

Enlightened
oh yeah and for people without access for the brinkman bulbs, i just checked out a local radio shack and they carried a 2.5v 490ma bi pin, krypton bulb. woohoo! it was more expensive = more brightness. so i bought one and went home to test. it does shine much noticably brighter and the light it more white. in spot mode i can shine it pretty far with a nice white beam, this now turns my maglite into a great backpacking light, and judging from the milliamp drain you'll have at least 4 hrs of useful light from this sucker. i'm gonna get 2 more for spares and give away my unopened maglite bulbs to friends who have mags. hehe. hope this helps but i see you are in europe not na no i'm not sure if they have a radio shack but i bet any electronic store would carry such things.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Azreal911:
oh yeah and for people without access for the brinkman bulbs, i just checked out a local radio shack and they carried a 2.5v 490ma bi pin, krypton bulb. . . .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Azreal911,

Quick question for you. I bought a Radio Shack bi pin bulb:

272-1150
Krypton Mini-Flashlight Lamp
2.5 volts
430mA

You say that the one you purchased was 490mA.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the specs of the Brinkmann Nextstar?

Has anyone compared the Brinkmann Nextstar to the Radio Shack Krypton 2 aa bulb?

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if an Canadian stores carry the Nexstar bulbs for the mini maglite ?

thanks

sylvestor

Latest posts