31led 3d Mag dropin with lotsa pics.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's this one from www.goldengadgets.com right here.
32led-f.jpg

32led-1.jpg

With 3 Nexcell 8500 Nimh batteries, it's pulling almost one amp (930 milliamps).
Temperature was measured at 130 degrees F on it's metal contact tower at the head (hottest spot).
It had a distinctive fresh peanuts aroma with no visible damage.
The pics below are pretty close to what I saw.

Here's a closeup of the resistors, 1 for each led. This is the 3 cell version.
32led_resistors.jpg

An overhead bathtub shot vs. a 2d stock Mag.
32ledFeet.jpg

Mirror next to beamshot showing business end.
32led_mirror.jpg

Another beamshot with the 2d Mag.
32led_vs_2dmag.jpg

Beamshot vs. double F40 flouros.
32ledVsF40s.jpg

Beamshot showing just how weak 32 chinese leds are compared to Trilight3.
32led_clobbered_by_Trilight3.jpg

A footsie beamshot with 2d Mag.
32ledFoot.jpg

Worth it for $47 bucks shipped? It depends.
You be the judge.
As for me, I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
This is the light I let the other guard use when it's his turn to foot patrol the property.
He has already dropped it a few times on concrete,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif and it still works fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
If anyone wants to move this to reviews, be my guest.
Edit: Lost one led at the center post already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 32led 3d Mag dropin with lotsa pics.

930 milliamps... hmm divided by 32 LEDs.. 29.06ma I think 9ma goes to the resistor.

At speced of 20 ma each, if those were nichias, they would be producing 1.5-2 lumens? So 32 of them should make 48 to 64 lumens? I think I'll rather take a Lux 3 and drive it at the same current.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of those, and one that has 20 LEDs as well. I found that the 20 LED version was just as bright to my eyes, and I figure the batteries will last a little longer. I have mine installed in a Mag 4D. It's my main power outage light. It lasts for DAYS.

csr

Newly Enlightened

I've dropped mine out of a tree (about 15 yards) and it landed on a hard pelican case. Still works perfectly. I had the 20 led version previously and I've noticed a slight increase in total output. But nothing to justify the additional cost of it, didn't really hold onto the 20 led version long enough to do runtime checks but the 32 led version lasts long enough.
Nimesh

mapson

Enlightened

Is the 32 or 20 led drop-ins regulated? I have two 3D mags and depending on price, one of these or the everled may be good to have on them.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone said:

"930 milliamps... hmm divided by 32 LEDs.. 29.06ma I think 9ma goes to the resistor"

Even thou every LED has its own resistor, both the LED and the resistor are passing 29ma, which is a little "high" for a 20ma LED; they are being overdriven

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, but in the case of the 5mm LED - its designed for 20ma

The LED die is held by one of the lead-frame wires, and thats the only means for the heat to be transferred out of the package, plastic is not a good conductor of heat

Anytime, you "push" a product beyond its designed operating limits, you do reduce its lifetime

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 32, err, 31Led 3d Mag dropin with lotsa pics.

[ QUOTE ]
INRETECH said:
Yes, but in the case of the 5mm LED - its designed for 20ma

The LED die is held by one of the lead-frame wires, and thats the only means for the heat to be transferred out of the package, plastic is not a good conductor of heat

Anytime, you "push" a product beyond its designed operating limits, you do reduce its lifetime

[/ QUOTE ]
True.
I fell asleep at my post a few nights back with this light on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
When I woke up an hour and a half later, I found one of the leds at the center post blinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I now have 31-32 leds in this unit, depending on when it catches my eye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif
Still plenty bright with 31 (spare) leds after I do my impression of a dentist on the bad one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
If it had a heatsink such as an aluminum washer under it, it would be ok imho.
I'll go and do that today.