Warranty repair time time for Arc-LSx's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Warranty repair time time for Arc-LSx\'s?

What's the 'back order' time on repair of Arc-LSx's sent in for warranty repair? I know some people have been waiting 3-4 months, or more.

I have been waiting less time, but am growing very impatient for the repair and return of my Arc-LSHP; my EDC light.

Arc's offer to apply the purchase price towards an Arc 4 is a vicious slap in the face, and totally unacceptable. Not only would it cost me a considerable amount of money; it would replace my Arc-LSHP with a light I find totally unacceptable for my needs; too large, and needlessly over complex to use. Plus the switch is very poorly designed, resulting in difficult operation, and easy battery draining accidental activation. But then there is a precedent for this in the 'one ounce of pressure turn on in your pocket' POS Kroll switch Arc mounted on the original LS series, creating a huge demand for the vastly more reliable, and considerably smaller, 123 twisty battery packs.

The 'operating modes' seem to have been designed by a former MicroSoft engineer with a very bad chip on his shoulder, due to his recent firing for incompetence, IMHO.

The 'instructions' provided with the light seem to have first been written in Sanskrit, translated to Aramaic, Phoenician cuneiform, Egyptian hieroglyphics, Byzantine script, and finally to something resembling English. They are all but incomprehensible, using words and phrases which are not defined until several sentences , or paragraphs, later, if at all.

Other people have written vastly superior instructions for this outrageously needlessly complex to use flashlight, and I recommend you burn your stock of existing 'instructions', and humbly ask if Arc can use one or more of the ones which are actually well written and, more importantly, comprehensible.

Other people seem to spend a great deal of time sucking up to Arc, but what I see is Arc selling vast numbers of defective products (Arc-AA's, Arc-AAA's, Arc 4's, the infamous early Arc-LS First Runs, which I foolishly purchased,....isn't that the whole Arc product line, BTW?) and then forcing the helpless consumer to wait MONTHS for warranty service.

And when I shipped my Arc-LSHP to Arc for warranty service, I included a letter SPECIFICALLY asking for information on repair turn around time, updates on progress, etc.

I didn't even receive an E-mail acknowledging the light had been RECEIVED by Arc, much less any information on repair time.

Great 'customer service', that.

After a month, I came across some other posts which revealed the ugly truth which Arc didn't bother to inform me of: the wait ALREADY has been, and would be, VERY LONG.

This is NOT what I consider 'good customer service', by any stretch of the real world imagination.

"Yes Mr. Smith, your high performance sports car has a bad fuel injector, and you can't drive it for 4-6 months while we get a replacement. Since this is so long to wait, I'd suggest you buy one of the huge, poorly engineered and manufactured 4 wheel drive pick-up trucks glutting our lot. One will cost you $15,000 over the trade in cost of your sports car, get 8 miles to the gallon, have a ride so bad it will rattle the fillings from your teeth, and will be in the shop every few weeks due to a bad transmission design, but hey, it's a GREAT offer. Trust me".

Yeah, right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

fuelblender

Enlightened
Re: Warranty repair time time for Arc-LSx\'s?

I couldn't have said it better - ARC may once have been great and perhaps a pioneer of some LED flashlights but they just don't have what it takes anymore. Too many problems with quality and customer service IMO. To manufacture lights with a lifetime guarantee or whatever and not have repair parts on hand is ridiculous regardless of how small of an outfit you are. I bought parts for my 20 year old weed-wacker from an old man who has a small repair facility here in town - he had them in stock. Why Peter can't or won't reserve parts for repair/warranty is beyond all reason. I've been waiting 5 months for my repair and that is deplorable. If I were Peter I would be ashamed to charge a customer for waiting this long, but I'm willing to bet he won't.

As far as I'm concerned, my days of buying from ARC are through.

ledy

Newly Enlightened

First, the disclaimer: This post is not to flame or create flame.

Reading posts from this some times makes me wonder if ARC provides life time warantee for Arc4 (and 10 years for others), don't they have to keep a certain number of part in stock all the time just in case some lights decide to die?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a lot more to being a company than just having good products. Arc had a good handle on things, but now with so many complications, it seems like they are losing their touch, and things are slipping down the cracks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

Arc isn't MagLight. Or Surefire. Or any of the other big manufacturers. Double edge sword time... Arc can do things none of the bigs guys can, or will, but they also have problems none of the big guys do.

Sort of related. I bought a laptop from Dell back in February. Estimated ship date slipped three times. I received the laptop almost two months after ordering it. This was actually better than average judging by the Dell Support forums. And mine worked out of the box, unlike several others.

Freakin' DELL couldn't deliver when they said they would. If Dell can't tell me when my laptop will ship, I can believe that Arc may not have total control over part supplier quality and schedule.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can understand people feeling angry about not getting product back on a timely bases but I also firmly believe Peter is doing everything he can to survey. In the business world s**t happens and sometime a lot of s**t happens. Following what's happened in the recent past I'm surprised that Peter hasn't just thrown up his hands and said the hell with it. My hats off to you Peter for hanging in there and I truly hope that one day things get back to normal for you and Arc.

*Retired*

Yes, but there are one heck of alot more parts in a Dell, by a few magnitudes, and as such, there is a WHOLE lot more that can impact the schedule, as it only takes one part.

Think about it.

fuelblender

Enlightened

We can go back and forth with our analogies all night but the fact remains - with the guarantee/warrantee program in effect, if ARC stocked repair parts others and I would not be dealing with this avoidable issue. Stocking parts for forseeable repairs is wise and judicious.

fuelblender

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I can understand people feeling angry about not getting product back on a timely bases but I also firmly believe Peter is doing everything he can to survey. In the business world s**t happens and sometime a lot of s**t happens. Following what's happened in the recent past I'm surprised that Peter hasn't just thrown up his hands and said the hell with it. My hats off to you Peter for hanging in there and I truly hope that one day things get back to normal for you and Arc.

[/ QUOTE ] Steve, this issue goes way beyond a "timely basis". What could have taken 7 days to resolve is taking 150+ days because of insufficient planning. In the business world sh*t happens which is expected, but when "a lot of sh*t" happens, it's usually because of an avoidable oversight. It's good that Peter is hanging in there and I respect him for that. I'll always wish him and ARC the best. When a product or service is good, I'll be the first to commend the owner/employee but when the opposite is true, I won't hesitate to criticize - that's how we grow and flourish.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your right David, I just would like to see Arc make a go of it long term and it just seems that for Peter everything just piled on all at once.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find it odd to warranty something and not stock parts. Arcs are very reliable that that is pushing it past the point of no return.

I don't have any Arc Luxeons (I use NiMH AAs for my Luxeon lights) I like the Arc AAA/AA lights and they have been very reliable so far. Of course, if my AAA crapped out and it took longer than two weeks for a return, I would buy a Peak to take up the slack while I wait.

Luckily, I have two BB500's to use and a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon to kick around as backup. I guess there is something to the CPF creedo of "buy both" Hopefully, this problem will cure itself in the upcoming weeks when the boards gets shipped to Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

fuelblender

Enlightened

I think ARC will survive; hopefully all will work out well.
I'll bet that Peter has some surprises in store for all of us. He has contributed a lot - as a matter of fact I have almost all the ARC models, my favorite being my LSHP-F.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
as it only takes one part.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. It did only take one part. I ordered an Inspiron 9100 with the 1920x1200 screen. Apparently, Dell didn't have these in stock when I ordered, but was relying on an estimated ship date from their supplier. Supplier couldn't meet the deadline so my ship date also slipped. Sound familiar?

I know Arcs are expensive (see signature :) but they're just flashlights. I guess the frustration vented here and elsewhere is actually a good sign... If we didn't like the lights, the delay wouldn't be such a big deal.

Gandalf

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

<SNIP>

I know Arcs are expensive (see signature :) but they're just flashlights. I guess the frustration vented here and elsewhere is actually a good sign... If we didn't like the lights, the delay wouldn't be such a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think the Arc-LSHP is one of the very best lights available, mostly due to it's small size, when equipped with the increasing hard to get twisty 123.

Mine had a very, very white beam, and I expect when it returns, it will still have a very, very white beam, or back to Arc it goes. (I paid for a Premium!)

It was *very* expensive, for me at least, and not a decision I made lightly.

I simply can't afford to buy a similar size/quality light to fill the gap while the months go by while I'm waiting for my Arc LSH-P to return, which leads to no end of frustration for me, of course.

And I haven't been waiting anywhere *near* as long as many other people, apparently.

To those people: you have my sincerest sympathy. It only took me 5 or 6 *weeks* to get this annoyed. In 3 or 4 more months......let's say I won't even try to be rational or articulate./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

And as one of my professors once said: "you can't be sued for slander or libel, if you speak the truth" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

cy

Flashaholic

Gandalf, if you need an ARC LS to get you by until ARC fixes your LSHP. Please PM, I would be most pleased to ship you a loaner unit.

part of what made the LS series so dependable, everything is potted down. When you break that expoxy bond, you risk destroying things.

As often as not, a mfg may find it safer to ship a new unit.

Not too long ago, I purchased a new surefire light, the bulb burned out imediately. I waited almost three months to get a new bulb. Then it came from a kind cpf'er in Singapore. The reason, Surefire was backordered on the part.

Anyways.. I can understand you fustrations. Arc will make good, when the part comes in. Until then, please PM if you want a loaner.

Thanks,
CY

ledy

Newly Enlightened

I admire your gesture, cy.

I wish ARC the best and I trust they will come through to provide all of us good service. Until then, I hope my ARC4 will continue to shine brightly in the night. I just came back from Camping and ARC4 is super cool for that. Using my 2AA pack, I had Level 1 for more than an hour without any problem, the light remain very cool (I'm in canada, if that matters).

Status
Not open for further replies.