What does CPF think of the streamlight Batonlite?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you all think of the streamlight Batonlite?

Does it have a push button switch?

batonlite.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It has a momentary tail switch, or you can tighten the end cap for continuous operation.

It's quite well built, but two potential drawbacks:

1) It produces even more diffuse light than most LEDs, since it has a diffusing "lens" in front of the LEDs.

2) It uses N cell batteries.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one & would recomend it highly. It's a great backup, so the N batteries aren't that much of an expense. What I like most about it is how tough it is. I have no idea what it would take to make it stop working. TX

Brock

Flashaholic
It is a very nice light, but for me the biggest drawback is the extremely diffuse light. It is about twice as wide as other standard 3 LED lights. I really like the durability and size/weight. It is great for up close use.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's a great light for close up work like tinkering inside a computer cabinet or looking for that squeaky sound behind the couch. The disadvantages have been stated before. For me, it's the "N" cells because they aren't as readily available as other types in an emergency. If it's 1am you probably won't find these; but will have to wait till the local Radio Shack or Bartells Drugs opens at 10am before you can get a refill. The diffuse light has its purpose. Not for long or medium range, but primarily for short range use, and for use in a confined area like a room of a dark house.
The unit is also sturdy and robust enough to withstand pretty much any typical flashlight accident that may befall it.

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't really understand the concern over the use of three N cells.
confused.gif
While it's true it's not readily available quickly at the country side market, it is easily enough available and inexpensive enough to anticipate future battery changes. You can keep a fresh set on hand easily enough. The Baton doesn't burn batteries to the extent that an incandescent would. They're rated for 12 hours use; although under actual use it would likely be less. Unless you intended to use it as your main source of illumination for hours on end, which is not a reasonable application, a set of batteries would last quite sufficiently for your needs.

For tasks such as reading in the dark all night long, other lights like Eveready's LED AA lantern would be best.

I count N cells a plus for end-to-end battery placement, unless you like the idea of the very long flashlights required for 3 AA, AAA, or C batteries.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
I don't really understand the concern over the use of three N cells.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely- there is nothing wrong with an N cell - quite the opposite when you consider it replaces 15+ sets of button cell (357 equiv) batteries!

I've used N cells for 20 years - back in the HP41C calculator - never had a problem finding them - drugstores, supermarkets, photo stores, or if no reasonable alternatives exist, rat shack.

The N cell has the almost the endurance of an AA alkaline which no button battery can come close to, in a more compact package that permits a stack of 3 Ns in less space than 2 AAs. The Streamlight makes good use of this feature to produce a true "keychain" light that you can use for 1-2 hours if needed and still have a half day's runtime remaining.

That sort of runtime is unheard of in button cell flashlights. Most of them are very dead in 60 minutes.

Another often overlooked streamlight LED advantage is that it operates the same as the surefires - momentary button and twist the tailcap for lock-on use.

Best part is that on a keychain, you always have a bright light and good batteries with you, even if you left your 2x123 flashlight in the car/at home, etc.

My baton light has been riding on the keychain for over 6 months now - no failures and just 1 set of batteries - even with daily use and long "on" times (30 min or more). Its cost to operate (even with the N cells) is soo low that you end up using it like a rechargable - locked on until you are done with it.

KenBar

Enlightened
I need a new toy....hmmwv it is your fault...
smile.gif

Where is the best place to buy one of these?

Thanks.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
There`s a guy named paramagic1 on Ebay who sells these- usually dutch auctions (1000 quantity!) for $30 each. Anyone seen them cheaper?

I`ve not bought from him yet, I keep meaning to (cos I want a Batonlite too, plus he sells photon lights and I don`t yet have a P1 or a working P3), but something keeps stopping me every time, usually a temporay lack of cash!

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
Thanks
Txwest, I have bought from TTS before...with great service and price...
Here is link if others need....I got from Brock's site.

TTS Texas Tactical Site... link

Select LED and it is on page 2 at the price you said... They also have the new model infinity I noticed for $11.99.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I think if you buy them on ebay you'll definitely get ripped off on shipping and "handling" charges - try brightguy.com for a more straightforward approach to buying stuff and realistic shipping (forget about handling!) charges.

busbar

Newly Enlightened
For their respective amp-hour capacity, N cells are a poor value compared to AAs and AAAs. An extension tube to allow for use of AAA cells in place of N cells would be a good idea.

The added overall length would be a plus in the "kubo?" department.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Actually just checked my batonlight tonight after thinking about this post - sure nuf - batts were down to 1.12V (from 1.55V new) - and it still ran fine! - threw them away and loaded a fresh set out of the refrig and it is much brighter now. That's another nice feature that you can still use it for 30-60 minutes even with "dead" batts.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I have had the Baton Lite for over 6 months now, I liked it very much when I first bought it and I like it even more now.

I have a number of LED lights and some are better than others but this one is definitely one of the best ones I have.

As for the batteries I have never found this to be a problem and living in Denmark usually if things are hard to find in the US they're almost impossible over here.

The only thing I would say about the batteries is that it's better to stick with Energizer as I have found that using other brands in this flashlight tend to make the tail switch a little harder to turn on probably due to the slight difference in length.

I do not have it attached to my keys, but rather in my pocket with the ring hanging out so I can easily grab it.
It also fits OK in my Mini-Mag holster although the holster is a little too wide for the Baton lite it's never a problem, and again I have the ring hanging out the side under the closing flap.

As others have mentioned this is a short range light, but let's remember it is an LED and if you need the range you would probably be wanting an incandescent anyway.

Grummond

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not all e-bayers are rip offs.. I have an e-bay store.. the only outlet at this time that is available to Me. as for shipping I charge 4.00 priority mail w/ tracking info.

so not all are out of line.

KenBar

Enlightened
Daniel Ramsey ..and others.

I started another thread but I may not have made myself clear. Having thought it over, here is another attempt. I wish it were possible for all CPF members who are able to make/sell something to have a forum to do so. Here is another example with Daniel. I myself can pop out Satcure circuits but to date have only given them away to CPF members who wrote. I can only do this so long...

SO....

Any thought on setting up an area for CPF members only to sell their wares. I w ould much rather give my bucks to CPF members and reputations would rapidly and accurately be known...like Gransee. I would not be afraid to buy anything from him ever.