smaller may not be better?

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I was on the small as possible kick for a while,but that has changed since getting my modded maglites from fivemega.Then I got the promagnum from Lambda.These are bigger than my other lights,but MAN do they blow them away.Now I know the edc thing and all,but most of my lights are just for fun.I'm not saying I won't buy any more small lights,because I know I will.I'm just saying I would have been missing out if I had ONLY bought small lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
Even when it comes to edc-lights I wouldn't always say smaller is better. My hands are quite big and some of the smaller lights are just hard to operate for me. Not to mention that parts of my Hand always seem to get in the beams way. Actually the vip (don't have one, but got to try one once) is about the perfect size for me. For me, I still have to find the best compromise between easy to carry and comfortable to operate.
And after all I certainly wouldn't want to miss my mag 3c mod when I really need something bright with long runtime.

Chrisse

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coach, you have been enlightened. Like I always say, all lights are made to compliment each other just like the knives of a chef. I love my big lights as well as the small ones.

d'mo

Enlightened
Smaller is not necessarily better: how true. In my travels, I've found that the smaller something is, the more likely it will be carried, will be there when you need it and will actually be used. How many of us own a tiny camcorder, but don't carry it anywhere because it's just too much of PITA. If it's too big, I find it just stays at home, sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
coachbigdog,

RIGHT ON! I agree. CPF modding efforts and interest does seem to be largly along the lines of smallest, brightest, highest lumens/in^3 lights. And there's nothing wrong with that, of course. But for myself, I love the larger lights, too, and at the moment (and for the forseeable future) I am EDCing an E2e, which is hardly the smallest EDC out there. I EDC it over my FF or Arc LSH because it is a bright incan and I love the brightness and light quality and runtime from it.

It's like anything, though: each to his or her own.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the larger lights. While a small light is convenient and is always ready a larger light is for a determined use. A larger light is a larger 'pacifier' for my comfort and a 'PACIFIER' for other I don't want to be comfortable. A larger light is easier to grip.

The ProMagnum thread is: HERE.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, small EDC is for unexpected situational use that takes advantage of the size factor by maximizing the chances I'll have it on me at the time. But, when I know I'll be needing a light, size isn't so much a concern as performance. One of my current favorites is a Pila G3LR, and as a 3 123 cell size light, some say it's too large. It's still nicely pocketable, and it blows away so many other lights in output and versatility.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you're right, who needs small flashlights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12c.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of reminded me of the light sabres in Star Wars. If only there really is such a defense tool...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there's a point at which a light doesn't need to be any smaller, and shrinking it makes it more difficult to operate and kills runtime.

After carrying an Arc AA on my keychain for months, I put a AAA on instead and I didn't like it. It's harder for me to use, and it feels like a toy in comparison.

I also can't seem to get a proper grip on anything shorter than my Micra twistie when used in tactical mode. Even then, I have to be careful not to cut off the beam, although switching back to an optic improved on that.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That little 'ol Magcharger'll have a way to go. Light in the photo's around 25" long. Larry1582 has one, too. He also has what I believe to be the longest, a ~30"+ LA Screw that assembles from sections.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ABTOMAT said:
That little 'ol Magcharger'll have a way to go. Light in the photo's around 25" long. Larry1582 has one, too. He also has what I believe to be the longest, a ~30"+ LA Screw that assembles from sections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy 2 and put them together! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one big benefit of bigger lights - in the dark, they are much easier to grab. I used to have That Big Black 4D Light stock, and it was very easy to find in the dark despite being black due to its sheer size.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coach,

I couldn't agree with you more. Diversification is the key to enlightenment. Don't get me wrong, I love my small lights, and that's what I usually carry. But when I really need some light, I grab for the Trilight-3, the DragonLED-9, or the Tristar Phaser.

If I think I'll need more light, and for a longer period, then its the DragonHID. Finally, if I need some truely serious light, I'm very happy with my x990 - kind of the exact opposite of small.

Small, medium, and large - they're all fun, and I wouldn't part with any of them (although I am starting to clean out some of my early commercial aquisitions)