This site rocks! EverLed & Luxeon Questions

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post! I sort of stumbled across this site by accident yesterday, and have spent many hours reading threads in many of the forums. The wealth of knowledge contained here is amazing. You've really got some sharp people around here. I guess I've been a closet flashaholic for years, but never realized that there were so many others out there that shared my illness! My friends think I'm light-headed!

I've been intrigued by LEDs since I bought my first keychain 2016x2 lights on ebay a couple of years ago. I've since had PT Pulsar, Pulsar II, Attitude, Impact, and Impact XL. Liked the Impact the best, oddly it seemed to produce a better quality beam for me than the XL. I've currently got a PT Tec20 into which I have installed a EverLed 1-watt Luxeon. I like it, but the handle is a bit small for me. I read here that the EverLed performs better in a metal body, which helps cool it down. What do you think of the idea of putting it in a mini-Mag? Also, the Tec20 doesn't really focus the beam, and I think M-Mags do, right? Any suggestions?

Also, what is the general opinion of those 3 and 5 watt Luxeon powered, Chinese made flashlights that are all over ebay for $40 and up? Yay or nay? I kinda like to find a pocket light cannon. What about an EliteMax? Any suggestions are appreciated. BTW, is there any forum here that discusses CFLs (compact fluorescents)? I didn't notice any. Thanks!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny, i've actually got my everled in a PT 20 right now too!

anyways, unless you do some extreme modification, everled won't work in mini-mag. everled is a pr-based bulb, minimag uses a bi-pin bulb(really tiny).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, LMU. I was just in Chicago on business a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of questions. Let's see. Everleds won't fit into a minimag. The minimag doesn't have the PR bulb base required by the Everled; it has a bi-pin setup. The Tec 40 might suit your needs a bit better than the 20. The Everled will be a bit brighter and run significantly longer in regulation. And, of course, the light is larger in the hand. As for Mags, I would recommend a 3C or 3D as optimal for the Everled, as it runs best with 3 cells. The Everled puts out as much or more light as a 3 cell Mag with new batteries, but with all the Everled benefits of color, regulation and runtime. The Mag will also provide adequate heat sinking for your Everled with it's aluminum bulb post. The downside to this combo is that because the Everled is a side emitter, the Mag's beam will never be really smooth; it will have rings and artifacts. It will be better than the stock incan, but that's the way it is. You could remedy that with several different methods, including a textured reflector, Writeright or something similar on the lens. I have a 3D/Everled combo myself with a UCL lens from flashlightlens.com and a textured reflector. It's my long running option when needed. Makes a nice club, too!

There is a forum for CFL's, lasers, hybrids, etc. Check it out. Or, do a search on CFL or CCFL. As for the Nuwai 5Wers, I have heard pretty positive reviews so far. There are many threads on them to view. I think Nuwai lights, especially the most recent releases, are pretty good quality and value. If the higher price isn't daunting, try a Surefire L4 as a 5W pocket rocket. Very small, unmatched quality, and really bright. It's not a thrower, more of a flood/medium range beam. Great utility and overall use. There are nice rechargeable options, too.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
anyways, unless you do some extreme modification, everled won't work in mini-mag. everled is a pr-based bulb, minimag uses a bi-pin bulb(really tiny).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, my bad. I remembered someone mentioning that they liked in a Mag, but I guess it was one of the larger models.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some members here that have done it and sold them as a service. There are also a few threads about what you need to do it yourself. Extra reflectors are available from Mag to practice on.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
lightmeup said:
BTW, is there any forum here that discusses CFLs (compact fluorescents)? I didn't notice any. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
You can read or start new discussions about CFLs in the General Light Discussion forum if you wish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
At least, that's where I've seen most CFL discussions pop up.

Welcome to CPF, by the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi and welcome lightmeup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif on behalf of lightemup!

I thought I was confused because I didn't think i'd just posted in the dealers forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF my fellow Chicagoan! You mentioned finding a pocket light cannon, maybe you should check out the custom lights that are being offered like the VIP by Mr. Bulk. The cost might be a little scary for a newbie, but you will find in the end that they are all worth every penny.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Well, no suggestions for a metal-body FL, AA or AAA powered, that would be a good home for an EverLed? Also it would be nice if it had a focussable lens.:)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m from Chicago too, but currently displaced by just over 1000 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know of any AA or AAA metal bodied lights that take a regular PR bulb and have a focusable lens.

Sounds to me like what you're looking for is a sandwich from The Sandwich Shop

Drop in regulator and luxeon for nice metal bodied lights like the brinkman 2AA, 3AA or even the mini-mag if you want to go that direction. I own a couple and they are great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif not focusable in their default setup as they come with the lexan collimator lenses and some are really really bright. Check those out. You need more lights than just what you can put your everled in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LEDCORP "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" takes a PR bulb, is focusable, and uses four AA cells.
O, and it's made of aluminum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have a web page up about it right here if you're interested.

One of the Dorcy Cool Blue flashlights is also made of aluminum, and except for body coloration, is functionally identical to LEDCORP's Our Best Aluminum Flashlight.