Got An Inova X5 For Birthday

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dear mother has been fueling my flashaholism for many years but managed to surprize me again. I was blown away when she gave me the Inova X5 that I had wanted since last October. I must have mentioned seeing them at the local Radio Shack and she remembered. Unfortunately, the store is going out of business after 20 years, but lucky for Mom they are discounting everything and she bought the last one, two months ago.

I had always admired the quality of the Inova but couldn't justify buying it due to tight finances. What a great light for night walks on the beach or in the dark woods with the dog. I prefer the soft, smooth, less intense, beams that lower powered LEDs provide, when I'm night hiking - they are good for the trails.

The X5 sucks a 123 down even further than my Arc LSL or SL TT-1L. I'm assuming the X5 is resistored and has no active circuitry, is that correct? How is the X5 different from the newer X5t?

Thanks Mom! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have one, but have fondled...er, uh, handled one.

it felt and looked like a work of art. seemed plenty bright for most duties. felt SOLID!

happy B-day, Jayflash!

Bob

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Happy Birthday jayflash!

Great little lite you got there, nice flood, pretty bright. Yer right, no regulation, but batteries sure last a long time in em. As I recall, the X5T updated body looks like thus:
X5T body
while the X5 body looks like this:
X5 body
I like the X5T because it doesn't have the grooves in it, the tailcap has lines cut in it for better grip, and there's a momentary button in the tailcap. I don't think they are otherwise different, so great score, Mom!

congrats again
daloosh

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main difference if I recall is that the X5 has the grooved body instead of the flat sides and it also does not have the 'T' (tactical switch on the tail). Other than that, I think it's the same. Happy Birthday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish my mom would buy me lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the birthday wishes everybody.

I do have the X5T with the tail push switch and octagonal body. I thought it was an X5 because the package only indicated X5 and no T.

When trying some VERY weak cells I noticed the LEDs flicker and change intensity. Is that due to chemical changes in the cells or is there some circuitry in the light?

Quickbeam measured the output at 9 units of his lightbox apparatus. Would 9-12 lumens be a close estimate of the X5T's output? It's not as bright as my LSL which, I think, is rated at 15-20 lumens.