New Nichia at 23lm/Watt - LS competition ?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOKYO, JAPAN - March 4, 2002 - Nichia Corporation announced today the development of high power indium gallium nitride (InGaN) LEDs achieving ten times the electrical power of current parts. The high power LEDs are housed in heat and UV resistant surface mount packages that can be installed using standard automated assembly methods (including solder reflow).
"Assembly manufacturers need components that are easy to install," said Noboru Tazaki, Managing Director and General Manager of Nichia's Optoelectronics Products Division. "Nichia's high power LEDs represent advanced technology, but more importantly the parts can be mounted with automated assembly equipment."

The new Nichia LEDs overcome low power limitations of current parts by increasing the area of the InGaN chip to 1 mm2 and powering the chip with up to two watts of electrical power. At a 350 mA current, photometric luminous flux for the packaged LEDs is 23 lm for white, 7 lm for blue, 28 lm for blue-green, and 20 lm for green.

Nichia developed two new packages to house the larger area InGaN chip. The NSCx180F is an entirely inorganic package; no organic plastics or organic resins are used. As a result, the package is resistant to the increased heat generated by larger area chips and is ideal for housing UV-emission InGaN LED chips. Lifetime is estimated at 100,000 hours.

The second new Nichia package, the NSCx190D, dissipates heat using an integrated copper heat sink. The result is an LED package with an 8° C / W thermal resistance, approximately twenty times lower than conventional LED packages. The package has a resin optic lens, making the part well suited for channel letter displays, traffic signals, and other specialty lighting applications.

Engineering samples of the parts will be available in Q2 of calendar 2002. Samples of the NSCx180F include InGaN chips emitting nearly 100 mW of 380 nm UV light at 500 mA, a world first. The thermal resistance of the NSCx180F is 15° C / W; the part is one centimeter square with a 2.3 mm height. The NSCx190D has an 11.2 mm width, 7.2 mm length, and 6 mm height; its estimated lifetime is 50,000 hours.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea! This is real good news. The puke green LEDs from those stuck up folks at Lumileds has some competetion! We'll see how much longer they think they can sell their pea green crap now.

Can't wait to sample product....must swim ocean.......

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeeaaahhh... anyone here knows what this new LED looks like? I'm curious to see how they've incorporated the copper heatsink...
cool.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
To see the specs it seems you have to install the Japanese Acrobat Reader
- OK - besides my limited japanese (hey - isnt it good enough to add
- san to every name - ok - Graham-san just kidding here) here are the pics
out of those files - looks nice.

nichia.JPG

Klaus

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Wow...I think going forward, it will be good to keep in mind that our mods should be able to easily take "new" and "different" leds...

This is good news!

Luff

Enlightened
I can see it now ... 13 of the flat puppies in a Maglite head ... or 34 of the others! Hmmm ... could probably cook eggs on either one, too.

nichiamaghead.jpg
nichiamaghead2.jpg

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi René,

these will only be swapped against best swiss choclate - no cost sharing - only sweet bribes
grin.gif

Klaus

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I knew Nichia has something like this up their sleeve. The efficiency isn't quite as high as I hoped it would be but its a large step from the pea-green Luxeon.

The only problem is when I was talking to someone at the Nichia HQ a while ago, this is what they said:

"We are regret to inform you that we can not sell our LEDs to individual. This is our company policy."

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someguy,

They must have changed policy, because you can order LEDs direct through their web site, atleast Nichia America you can.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great find Klaus. I wonder if these will need a lens to focus the light like the LS. Good to see the competition.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
Woo HOO!

Wonder when they will be available to us "peons".

(and how much they will cost.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully soon! Cost? Who cares how much it costs!

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might need Graham or any other japanese CPF-member to really check out the data-sheets - when installing the japanese acrobat I can load the file and take the pics out but I still don´t understand much - I fear the parts as they are designed/planned aren´t really focussed to our market niche / segment - but someone somehow will make it work in a flashlight I guess - lets see if Peter can tell us something as soon as he receives his sample(s)

Klaus

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone have any more details as to the workings of this new product?

This specifically caught my eye:
"...is ideal for housing UV-emission InGaN LED chips"

Are they finally using a RGB phosphor with a UV source? The colour rendition would be EXCELLENT, no more "fake-white" LEDs!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmm....I can hear the DB's shivering in fear at Wal-Mart....

Eric
tongue.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
It might need Graham or any other japanese CPF-member to really check out the data-sheets - when installing the japanese acrobat I can load the file and take the pics out but I still don´t understand much - I fear the parts as they are designed/planned aren´t really focussed to our market niche / segment - but someone somehow will make it work in a flashlight I guess - lets see if Peter can tell us something as soon as he receives his sample(s)

Klaus
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a look, and the text on the PDFs just gives the basic specs which you've already noted..
I had a look at the Japanese version of the news release as well, just in case, but it is pretty much the same as the English release, although it does say engineering samples will be available in May (rather than just Q2 in the English). Also says that production is planned to achieve about 1 million units per month by the end of the year..

So we won't see any for a while, unless someone can come up with a way to get engineering samples...

Graham