• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired pelican LED mod

DogfishHead

Newly Enlightened
I have a pelican M6 LED and am thinking about modifying it. Some questions:

1) How much is output really improved by a mod?
2) Is it possible to send it out to someone who knows how to modify this LED (because I have no idea how to do it)?
3) Will modifying the M6 cause any undesirable effects (excessive heat, a blown bulb...things like that)?
4) And of course, cost?

Thanks guys

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
First of all, welcome to the forums. In regards to your questions, I think the biggest question is why? What would you like to modify on the PM6 LED? I'm a big fan of the PM6 LED as Pelican has done a great job in selecting LEDs for production (they're all pretty white compared to what you normally get with a production Luxeon light), the 1W throws extremely well in the Pelican reflector (which is one of the best reflectors out there), and it gives you (according to the Pelican website) 40 hours of burn time. Did you want to change the circuitry? I think there was some criticism about that.

ps...I'm not criticizing your questions, I just think that the questions are easier to answer if you let the modders know what you wanted to have done.

edited to add:
1. You can change it to a 5watt module to increase output, but the 5watters are harder to find in a good bin code and don't throw as well as the 1w.
2. Yes--lots of modders out there (unfortunately I'm not one of them) that could help you out.
3. I don't think there's any real undesirable effects. The 5watt may run hotter, but my 5watt doesn't run hot enough to bother me that much--at least not in comparison to the 1w.
4. I think this may be cost prohibitive for what you'd end up with in comparison to what the PM6 already is--but that doesn't usually stop any of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Sorry for the ramble--just wanted to answer the questions more completely. And everything above is completely my opinion and I'm sure there will be people who feel otherwise. I hope that helps you somewhat.

DogfishHead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

Sure it's a fine light and the first really bright LED I've owned. The only problem I have is that it doesn't maintain that great brightness like regulated LEDs (40 hour burn time...not really, more like two and a half hours at 50%). A few weeks ago I came across a posting somewhere here about a guy who modified his M6 LED to produce a steady burn rate around four hours and managed to get more light out of LED too. So, I guess I should really ask if this is even possible.

Anyway, I was just assessing possibilities because I know some folks do interesting aftermarket work.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Yeah, I forgot to add "doubtful" next to the 40 hour runtime thing." The regulation is definitely a weak point of the PM6 LED. Try out this thread. Scroll down to the PM6 LED area (alphabetical) and you can see Roy's runtime charts for various PM6 LED Mods. That might help you decide what you want to do. When it comes to regulation and what-not I'm pretty much useless, so hopefully someone smarter than me will stop by and help you out. Good luck and enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif .