TnC Hyper-Lux V

DogfishHead

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. Any thoughts on the TnC Hyper-Lux V? Likes, dislikes?

I'm thinking about a high output LED (5 watt) and this caught my eye. I appreciate your input.

XFlash

Enlightened
Very bright well made light, fits the hand nice.
Likes it so well bought 2 of them.
Manages to get one of the last splashed finished ones.

DogfishHead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Great review.

How would you compare the TnC Hyper-Lux V to the surefire L4?

Is the TnC really 120 Lumens? I see manufactures inflating their outputs.

I don't think I ever seen a LED that size put out 120 Lumens. But then again I've never seen one take three 123A's either.

DogfishHead

Newly Enlightened
Re: Another evaluation of the TNC Hyper-Lux V is right here if you're interested.
O, I almost forgot...it's in "The Trophy Case" on my website too.

I frequently visit and enjoy your site. So you'd be the guy to ask: excluding cost, which is the better light: surefire L4 or the Hyper-Lux V? Pictures of beam shots don't always give the full story of a lights output, but they do help.

Incidentally, I e-mailed TNC and asked if they'd custom make me a 5-watt model with their improved LED and a regulator. They said "no problem." How much do you think this will improve the overall performance of the Lux V?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think besides the beam shot, users might be interested to know how soon will the power degenerate since it is not regulated.

McShawn

Enlightened
I really like my hyper-lux V. It is the brightest single led flashlight that I have, awesome. This is an easy carry light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
DogfishHead said:
I frequently visit and enjoy your site. So you'd be the guy to ask: excluding cost, which is the better light: surefire L4 or the Hyper-Lux V? Pictures of beam shots don't always give the full story of a lights output, but they do help.

Incidentally, I e-mailed TNC and asked if they'd custom make me a 5-watt model with their improved LED and a regulator. They said "no problem." How much do you think this will improve the overall performance of the Lux V?

[/ QUOTE ]
Excluding cost, I personally think the SureFire L4 is a bit better than the TNC Hyper-Lux V because the L4 has a regulator.
But the TNC has, in its favour, better exterior looks than the L4 has. My opinion here; individual results may vary.

If you can get a TNC with a regulator, it should be very close to the L4 in terms of overall usefulness.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
I think besides the beam shot, users might be interested to know how soon will the power degenerate since it is not regulated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd run a battery discharge analysis of it for you, but I'm out of CR123A cells. So it will have to be up to somebody else to run this particular test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My Hyper Lux V is now broken, so I can't answer any more questions about it or perform comparative analyses between it and other flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
My Hyper Lux V is now broken, so I can't answer any more questions about it or perform comparative analyses between it and other flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
What happened? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I just picked it up to use it, and noticed the Luxeon was rattling loose inside the bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Looks like one of the Luxeon's leads broke off, and I don't know how the other one came loose.

I emailed my contact at TNC Custom Products not long after 5:00pm PDT, so I ought to have some kind of answer by Monday.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have my Hyper Lux's bezel all boxed up and ready to go to the post orifice tomorrow. We'll then see if I receive a replacement, or if getting a new one will cost me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, That doesn't sound good for the Hyper-Lux. The light doesn't break from sitting. The only way the LED breaks is if the Bezel or reflector are removed and then not properly put back in. There is a notch in the bottom of the reflector that sits over the Leads on the LED. If it is not in the right place when you tighten the Bezel the leads on the LED will break. Just like what has happened.