Flashlights downsized (by LAPD)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
L. A. Daily News

By James Nash
Staff Writer

"Los Angeles police will stop carrying large flashlights like the one used to strike a suspect in a videotaped arrest in June, Chief William Bratton said Tuesday.

Officers will trade in their foot-long metal flashlights for small rubber-coated models, Bratton told the Police Commission. While the larger metal flashlights can inflict deadly blows, the smaller models are nearly useless as weapons...."

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah we wouldn't want them to damage a flashlight by bopping it over the concrete head of some recalcitrant. So now they have to decide before the SHTF to pull the gun or the nightstick and the mouse light or use the BFL and keep the gun hand open and ready. More decisions to be made in a rapid amount of time plus years of training to overcome.

As I write this I am thinking of a baton with a 5W luxeon in the end and a rechargeable battery pack in the handle with a motion activation switch and a time off delay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never understood this.

So, Police can carry guns, and nightsticks, and handcuffs and batons, but a "big" flashlight is not allowed?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, here's a solution, straight from STARGATE!

Keep your ONLY flashlight mounted on your P90!
s6.jpg

gtwace

Enlightened
I guess they just get carried away hitting people with flashlights till serious injury occurs. Hitting people with flashlight is addictive you know...looks like someone is going to be very sad.

bigcozy

Enlightened
Ask any cop why they would hit someone with a flashlight and you will get the same answer:

"It looks better in court than hitting them with a nightstick"

Why anyone would be a LA LEO is beyond me, but I admire them. Pretty soon they will just let them carry Nerf products.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the manufacturer of their retractable batons was feeling left out cause the flashlights were getting alot of press...sorry for the sarcasm....its too early here and I have not had my coffee yet...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what a pile of goat crap.

idiot idiotness like this angers me greatly.

JOshooter

Enlightened
I guess they've never heard of the SF E2D. I think an email is in order to the LAPD... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
I saw the news broadcast on CBS last night, it looked like he had either SureFire G2's or Streamlight Scorpions in front of him.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Huh!

Here in Houston our newest Police Chief (an out-of-towner because we could NEVER EVER find the right cop from the ranks!) has decided that every officer will be equipped with a Tazer.

Can you possibly figure out why I see this as a bad move?

I'll give y'all a chance before I expound on this.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Potential for abuse?
but if the Air Taser or one of the ones made by that company, there should be the little ID tags that identify which cartridge was used, registered to the agency.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My beef with all officers having Tazer...

Some folks just NEED to be shot. And some of them will get tazered instead.

Somewhere between a little and a LOT less chlorine for the gene pool!

And personally, I understand completely why officers are a bit overachieving after a hairy car chase.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hey Playboy I hate to agree on this but some folks do need to git shot a time or two, it can really turn some of them around so they fly straight with a slight limp.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok - the only reason i see for not using a flashlight to hit someone is if it is an expensive custom piece - like a tristarphazer or something - if a light is in your hand then hit them rather than taking the time to draw a baton - i have nearly done it more than once.